Totally fresh comments, never canned. . . catch up on all of the community happenings here.
Other Site Blogs
GameSpot Versus Beat the Pros Edition is a way for GameSpot members to test their skills against super star pro gamers. From FPS to...
You wake up in an unknown facility, in a medical gown and nothing else. The cold sense of reality sets in; you don't know your...
- New Navigation Bar: We have decided to ask you a couple of questions about the latest navigation bar. The survey [survey no longer available] takes about 20 to 60 seconds to complete. One of the questions shows a few other navigation darker/lighter mock-ups too!
- Show Us Yours is a photo contest where GameSpot members display their custom PC or tricked out home entertainment set-up for a chance to win some games. Two lucky winners 8 game copies of their choice'making a 16 game giveaway!
- Next week's Game Night will be the biggest we have had in staff participation! Just about every GameSpot staff will be playing UFC 2009 Undisputed. Participants will receive an emblem. Stop by the Game Night page for more information.
- New Emblem! Thanks to fastesttruck and borninvincible we have a new Member spotlight emblem.
- Freebie Points Update. If you have been wondering about your points for the Webby awards, you'll want to drop by this page for the latest updates.
Member Spotlight: laughlyn12
This week's member spotlight goes to laughlyn12 for his blog about sharing the love of gaming!
Here's an excerpt:laughlyn12 wrote:They say that people are typically afraid of something they don't understand. They have these preconceived notions of what it means to be a "gamer" or whatever and until they meet someone who completely blows that stereotype apart then they use gamers as a source of ridicule and scorn.
Randomness teh Awesome
- SNOOP_CAT talks about his disappointment about the Star Wars Galaxies changes associated to the Creature Handler.
- MAILER_DAEMON talks about Diablo series in his recent blog.
- Madvicker was the MVP for last week's Killzone II game night.
- The_Jackle received Thehotspot homework emblem
- Kevin VanOrd posted a video with highlights of last week's Killzone 2 game night.
- OTS Trivia winners have been posted in the competitions forum.
Tip of the Week
I've noticed a variety of GameSpotters posting editorial blogs about E3 this week. I'd like to post something about what you all have to say every Fridays. The community content I am looking for is as follows.
Blogs: If you have an editorial style blog, just make sure you flag your blog with the editorial category in the drop down menu before posting. This gives me easy access to find your blog. If your blog is not what would be considered an editorial send me a private message with the subject title 'E3 community coverage' and provide the link to your blog.
Videos/Images: If you plan to attend E3 this year, be sure to upload your pictures and videos on the site. After uploading the content send me a PM with the subject title 'E3 community coverage' and be sure to provide any links of images or videos you would like to share with everyone.
Forum Threads: These can be anywhere on the site, even in some user created boards and Unions. You'll definitely want to send me the links to interesting topics worth mentioning.
I also plan to have a 'remember when E3..' section about previous expos. You are more than welcome to send me a link to previous E3 pictures, blogs or videos for consideration.
Stop by this Friday for our first GameSpot community E3 coverage report!
SHOW US YOURS is a photo contest where GameSpot members display their custom PC or tricked out home entertainment set-up for a chance to win eight video games of their choice! If you reside in United States and you are at least age 16, you are eligible to participate.
How it works-
- Upload your image(s) on GameSpot or another image uploading service.
- Post or embed the photo(s) in this submission thread
- Contest entries will open from May 19th until June 7th
- Read through the official rules for further instructions
Feel free to drop by this thread if you should have any questions.
On a side note, E3 preparations have kept us pretty busy this week. I plan to post a middle of the week report about the community some time tomorrow. Thanks for your patience!
- Planned Maintenance will occur from 6am to 7am PT tomorrow morning, Tuesday, May 12th. If you are using the site during this time you may notice a slowdown in performance.
- This Week's Game Night will be Killzone 2 on the PlayStation 3. PS3 game nights rarely have a good attendance. Drop by the chatroom to chat it up with fellow PS3 fans if you don't have the game. Heck, play another PS3 game with those who do not have Killzone 2! Chris Watters has put out a challenge to any Killzone 2 player. He's pretty confident that he'll own everyone in the game this week. Kevin Van Ord will also be making a return. As always, we'll be handing out the bounty hunter emblem depending on the participants that show. Read the FAQ for the emblem requirements and how to participate.
- How To GameSpot/Welcomes Newbies has been changed to How To GameSpot . Please refer the forum as How To Gamespot to avoid any confusion among our newer registrants of the site.
- GameSpot's Navigation interface has been updated. Check out the changes and provide feedback .
- The Member Spotlight emblem activity in the Emblem Union will be ending soon.
Member Spotlight: Spoogei
This week's member spotlight goes to Spoogei for posting a blog about why video games are rarely used as education tools
Here's an excerpt:Spoogei wrote:Would it be that much of a leap to have a historic video game? Can you imagine leading the troops into WWII Germany to try to take out Hitler (not quite like Wolfenstein).
- Silent Hill (PS) Video_Game_King
- NBA 2K9 (360) NBAmaster33
- Untold Legends: Brotherhood of the Blade (PSP) Paully3433
- Golden Axe: Beast Rider (360) SemiMaster
- Fallout 3 (PC) Jd1680a
- F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin (360) celtic1962
- Star Ocean: The Last Hope Dreski83
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine (360) Dreski83
- Half-Life 2: Episode Two (PC) Aberinkulas
- Ninja Blade (360) Domstercool
- Assassin's Creed Video Review by Moroes
- Fat Princess Beta Walkthrough by dannyodwyer
- D_West posted a video review of Guitar Hero:World Tour
- dragon_king64 posted a video about a PS2 Multi-tap that works
- Azghouls has uploaded a variety of FarCry videos.
- Akhorahill has posted a variety of Silent Hill 5 game endings.
- topsemag55 has posted a variety of gameplay videos of Painkiller and The Witcher Enhanced Edition
Randomness teh Awesome
- Sophia has asked for you to NAME THAT Game tune!
- AmateurZombie has received TheHotSpot homework emblem.
- xboxrulze has been re-added to the Soapbox for his recent editorial about realism and gaming.
- mmmwksil has reached a stage of gaming and genre fatique. l
- Amnesiac23 has some parenting advice about purchasing M rated games for children.
- GSGirl has posted an essential list of iPhone games.
- c_rake has done a wealth of research about Sony and Microsoft motion controller rumors.
Tip of the Week
GameSpot's weekly in-game activity known as Game Nights offers a bounty hunter emblem to the players that kick butt at a game. If you currently do not have the emblem, here's how you can try for the emblem.
- Start by dropping by the GameSpot Game Night schedule and see if there are future platform/game nights you can participate in. If not, the Game Night Union always has an open discussion about game recommendations for future game nights.
- On the day of game night stop by the chatroom between 4pm PT and 6:30pm PT to see if you can get in a match with a GameSpot staff member. Volunteer moderators may also host matches and give names staff, but staff choose the MVP(s) for the week.
- Depending on the amount of participants we may hand out between 1 and 3 bounty hunter emblems.
- Those who have received the emblem are featured on the game night page. You can check former MVP users on the game night feature page and the archive page .
- After you have played in game night you are encouraged to post any experiences through text, videos or screenshots in the dedicated game night FAQ or game night report thread.
Until next week!
- E3.gamespot.com will have a list of games and more news in the coming weeks. Head to this E3 virtual coverage Facebook to display that you plan to attend this year.
- Webby Awards People's Voice Award Update. Lark has posted some information about when everyone will be receiving their profile points. In the meantime, check out this spiffy new emblem awarded to everyone who voted.
- This Week's Game Night : If you own a Wii, drop by the GameSpot chatroom on Tuesday May 5th (tonight) from 4-8pm PT.The game will be Mario Kart Wii.
Member Spotlight - Bozanimal
This week's member spotlight goes to Bozanimal for this article about Six Days in Fallujah. Excerpt:Bozanimal wrote:If a video game helps people understand what happened and remembers those that fought for their countries in an effective and respectful format.
On a related note, grigjd3 has written a blog response about the topic.
This week I have pulled reviews from the Top 100 users list.
- Rise of the Argonauts (PS3) AzelKosMos
- F.E.A.R. Files (X360) bacchus2
- Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (X360) celtic1962
- Yoshi's Story (Wii) Maluigi
- Cryostasis: The Sleep of Reason (PC) nutcracker
- OutRun Online Arcade (X360) wonderboy_46
- Flight Control (mobile)Thorpe89
- Persona 2: Innocent Sin (PS) Platyphyllum
- Quake 4 (PC) SYdoggXxX
The_Druggie has 10 helpful tips for about ways to write better user reviews.
1. Do NOT reference the Gamespot score
2. Avoid frequent use of simple language
3. Double-check your punctuation
4. Back up your information
5. Avoid using "you", "I", or other personal pronouns
6. No referencing other sites
7. Stay on topic
8. No referencing other users
9. No advertising
10. Have a healthy length
Some of these tips also help users avoid getting warning moderations or penalties. Drop by his blog for more information.
Until next week!
…and we've won the People's Voice Award for Best Games-Related Website! This is a huge honor for us, and it's all thanks to you, the community! Everyone here at GameSpot would like to express our appreciation for your efforts and support!
We've begun the process of going through the two roll call threads, the news post comments, and the community blog comments to get a list of usernames. This is almost done, and we're expecting to begin handing out emblems and bonus points in the next day or so. If you're interested in how we're progressing with this, please bookmark this page to see updates.
Please understand that this is a mostly manual process, and so it will take some time before we're finished. We'll go as fast as possible though!
- All of the emblems have been handed out! Now it's time to move onto the points, which will take much longer to do. Further updates to come later.
- Everyone who modified their signature has been accounted for. You guys can pull that out of there now. Thanks again!
- We will begin handing out bonus points Friday. In the meantime, if you know you will be receiving them, please backup your signature, as the process of handing them out is known to damage them. You should be receiving a private message to indicate this as well.
- 5/8: We've started handing out points, so users may start to see their signatures break as mentioned above and in the private message you should have received if you will be affected. Please note that this will be a multipass process, so you may have to fix your signature twice.
- 5/11: The process is continuing, and many of you have already had bonus points awarded. Again, this will be a multipass process, so please be aware that you may have to fix your signature twice. Sorry for any inconvenience.
- 5/19: As promised, 3000 bonus points have now been awarded to all users who supported us by adding a mention of the Webby Awards in their forum signature. We are working on handing out the rest of the points to everyone who participated, but it's taking much longer than anticipated. Please be patient: these other 4000 points will be handed out to everyone as soon as possible.
- 5/20: Everyone with a username beginning with the letter A have had their bonus points awarded.
- 6/11: Now that everyone's back from the madness of E3, we're ramping up on handing out bonus points again. Sorry for the delay, but we'll be pushing hard to give everyone their well-deserved points!
- 6/19: I am very pleased to announce that very nearly every single person who supported us for this competition has had their bonus points awarded! I have to wait until Jody gets back to confirm, but we'll catch anyone we missed as soon as she's back. Thanks for your patience!
- 6/26: And we're done! All the points have been awarded out. Thanks again for your patience, and special thanks to Steve Easley who built us a tool to hand these out much faster!
Tomorrow's Game Night will be Mario Kart Wii held from 4-8pm PT. Wii owners should represent to show how awesome they are at attending these game nights. Drop by the FAQ and attendance poll. Only one person will receive the bounty hunter emblem unless there are a flood of you to choose from.
With Wii owners smiling from ear to ear tomorrow night we know that the PC owners are the ones that have also been deprived of game nights. We plan to have a PC dedicated game night on May 19th. Drop by the updated May Schedule thread and make some suggestions. We're looking for games that many people might have.
On a last note, I'll post the weekly community report tomorrow.
Seems like GameSpot has been hit with the free birds and beta bees. GameSpot community members are bound to get something this week! Due to the content overload I have skipped a variety of categories in the community report this week. This means the report is primarily about things you can get for being a part of the community!
- GameSpot Webby's Update: As of this morning we were at 3% [UPDATED as of 11pm PT] to our goal thanks so much everyone. We have come so much closer to our goal because of YOU! Keep pioneering by getting your friends to vote, pass along the instruction link: www.tinyurl.com/gamespotwebby . You and your friends will receive some freebie GameSpot profile level points for taking the time to vote. In case you didn't know we also plan to give away a 'celebration emblem' in your profile if we happen to win as another token of our appreciation to you.
- Battlefield Heroes Beta keys: We have thousands of keys to hand out this week. If we reach our beta limit for the day there is no need to worry! Stop by the following day for a key! Alert your friends so they can check it out with you. Also be sure to provide feedback and bug reports over at the official Battlefield Heroes site.
- World of Warcraft Novel Giveaway: Can you imagine? We even have some books to giveaway . We are offering these books to US and Canadian (excluding Quebec) residents.
- Cities XL Beta Offer: The beta offer will be happening until June. If you're a city building fanatic, this MMO simulation should be on your beta list of games to check out. Be sure to provide feedback to them if you get in.
- GameSpot US Game Night: What's up for grabs? One bounty hunter emblem to the person that owns one or more GameSpot Staff members! This week North Americans and International night owls from other countries will be playing versus and co-op modes in Resident Evil 5. Stop by on Tuesday April 28 from 4-8pm PT .
- GameSpot Australia Game Night: What's up for grabs? I heard that attendees will be handed some profile level points. James Kozanecki and Dan Chiappini plan to heat up some action with GS AU members in the Killzone 2 game.
Randomness teh Awesome
- Behemoth has a caption contest that offers a chance to win Castle Crasher download code + King Pack DLC.
- HotSpot Homework emblem was granted to Hou, InuTails, Sephiroth99000, Seppa_Man and ldwildfire06
- GameSpot Aussie April Pick-Up Thread. Post your pictures of what you got in the past 30 days.
That's it for this week. Stop by the community page next week for our normal report that will feature GameSpot members and the tip of the week!
This year, GameSpot is honored to be considered for The Webby's People's Voice Award for Best Game-Related Website. We are up against some tough competition, and we need your help to win! Please show your support for us by following the simple instructions below and vote ASAP, as the deadline is April 30. The process only takes five minutes of your time, and every vote counts! As an extra special thank you gift, we'll be handing out a profile emblem to our supporters if we win!
Here's all you need to do:
- Create a free account at the People's Voice Award page.
- Login and click on Website - Vote Now!
- Find the Games-Related section under Entertainment
- Vote for GameSpot and leave a comment if you like
- Sound off in our roll call thread to let us know you voted so we can award you an emblem if we win
It's as easy as that!
GameSpot has the best community out there, and we all here are incredibly thankful of your continued support throughout the years!
Thanks to everyone who has voted for us thus far! As an added incentive, we'll be handing out bonus GameSpot Experience points (the hidden points that determine your account level) to our supporters. Find out more in our roll call thread!
Voting for the Webby Awards is now closed. Thanks to all of your support, it's looking like we've won, but the official winner will be announced May 5. In the meantime, we are going to begin the long process of going through the roll call thread, the signature thread, and the comments on the news story and community blog post so that we can assign out the bonus points (and hopefully the emblem!) we promised.
Please understand that this will take some time to do, and you may not see your user level go up for some time. It will happen though as soon as we can get to you (it's mostly a manual process).
Everyone here at GameSpot would like to express our appreciation for your efforts and support. We truly do have the best community out there!
This year, GameSpot.com is honored to be considered in the 13th annual Webby Awards. We are up against a news blog website, an online news magazine, a publisher's game website and a professional gaming website. What sets us apart from these other websites? What have these websites covered over the past 12 years? Has GameSpot not done these things at one time or another?
We have joined the news blog territory and have a landing page dedicated to the many perspectives of gaming; we have had professional gamers come to our playing field to participate in tournaments from 2006 all the way through 2008; we have written thousands of features and articles that are just as good as any online news magazine about games; and although we may not publish games, we provide the very best coverage on the web about them.
If you would like to show your support for GameSpot.com, drop by the 13th annual Webby Awards page and vote for us under the Entertainment Games - Related category. You are not required to vote for every category on the page, but why not take a moment to vote for the websites that matter the most to you!
GameSpot's Nomination history with Webby Awards
- 1st annual
- 2nd annual
- 9th annual
- 10th annual
- 11th annual
You know who you should vote for, but we will let you decide.
UPDATE: They plan to give out an emblem. Stop by this page for the details.
We have another beta offer available. If you hadn't heard, beta signups have opened for Cities XL , an upcoming massively-multiplayer city-building game for the PC from developer Monte Cristo. If you're thinking about signing up, GameSpot Community has a special promotional code you can use that will, according to Monte Cristo, increase your chances of getting into the beta. Were were also told that the beta signups are planned to take place through June.
If you're interested, head over to the Cities XL beta signup page and use this special GameSpot code in the "promo code" area at the bottom: GSPCXLBR
Final update: Codes were sent out. Thanks for everyone's interest. Happy testing!
Another update: Codes are being sent out. Check your emails from now and in the next hour!
UPDATE: Beta key COMING SOON. We have 500 keys ready to send out to everyone. However, we're waiting for a green light to send them out.
If you were selected you'll be sent the key via email with full instructions about how to redeem it. Thanks for your patience during this time.
UPDATE: We're out of keys. Please check your emails tomorrow morning for further instructions about how to redeem your code.
SCEA has sent us some beta keys for us to share with all of you. To receive a beta key please note the following instructions.
You must have:
… a PlayStation 3
… an active PlayStation 3 PSN ID
… the latest firmware to access the PlayStation Store
… 200MB free on your system
… Tuesday and Thursdays evenings available to test
If you meet these requirements send us an email to with the following information.
Your Active PSN ID:
The beta will last for two weeks. Much like other betas, those who receive the key will provide detailed feedback reports during the beta phase.
Further instructions will be sent to those who receive their beta code.
- GameSpot Answers allows registrants to post questions and receive answers about details in a game. If you don't see an answer for your favorite game, ask a question! For an example, try doing a search for evil on the Fable II Answers page for some splendid detailed answers and some questions that are still open for you to answer!
- This Week's Game Night: On Tuesday April 14th we'll be playing Street Fighter IV on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.
- Game Night Aftermath: Our first game night this year went pretty well for being a mature rated game. We had nearly 40 participants with a few cheerguys that stopped by to chat it up last Tuesday night. Stop by to view the report about how things went. There are some PC and Xbox 360 match videos as well!
- Nintendo DS board guidelines: Since the announcement DSi discussions needed to be in the main sticky thread. We've finally loosened up the rules a bit but be sure to read the comparison thread before posting in the forum
- Zombie Trivia is ends tomorrow at 4:00pm PT. Get your zombie knowledge on to earn an emblem.
This week's member spotlight goes to Sequekhan for his suggestions about remaining healthy while playing games. Here's an excerpt:
So when you sit in your favourite comfy chair and put on a game, do you spare a moment to think about your well-being? Do you plan how long you'll play, what you'll eat? Do you know how far you should sit from the screen?
- God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) AzelKosMos
- Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem (GC) dark_being
- Final Fantasy XII (PS2) Garrison_Ford
- Eternal Sonata (PS3) ShadowLaguna
- World in Conflict: Soviet Assault (PC) Jedo
- Two Worlds (X360) zh666
Featured User Videos
Randomness teh Awesome
- BigC1689 talks about how people need to play games in moderation; especially with games like World of Warcraft.
- d3emondav3 grades the different platforms based on the games, graphics, value and fanbase.
- canana shared his opinions about the future of Zelda.
- TheBuck27 explains why he is still in love with his PlayStation 2. If you're a fan as well, be sure to track him as he plans to continue to write blogs about the platform.
- payne6705 explains why Nintendo doesn't get the DS.
- natasha8384 has uploaded a variety of gameplay videos of Wanted Weapons of Fate and Dark Athena.
- Johnsteed7 believes that Co-op Games Have An Expiration Date. Should you be purchasing these DLC right away?
- Sophia has posted some impressions about the Ninja Blade track.
- yeah_write asked for some advice about Guitar Hero and Rock Band
- The next Mod Collective game night will be Killzone 2 on Saturday, April 18th 2009.
- Post your Union activities ! Almost didn't have any union news until I came across spazzc625's blog!
Tip of the Week
This week's tip is about how you can avoid coming across spoilers while using GameSpot Answers. SavoyPrime asked if there was a way to dodge spoiling his favorite games and Dave Good aka megagood responded with the following scoop:We implemented a few features to keep spoilers from surfacing when users aren't looking for them. The biggest one is that users can mark their question as a spoiler when they ask it. We have a few other behind-the-scenes tricks to keep spoilers out of the spotlight as well. If you see a spoiler-containing question without having searched for an answer and checked the box "search questions with spoilers," please let me know and we'll mark it as such.
If you have any further suggestions, drop by this discussion thread .
Until next week!
GameSpot Answers allows registrants to post questions and receive answers about details in a game. If you don't see an answer for your favorite game, ask a question! To find the answer modules go to any GameSpace and click on Answers.
- Streaming Games Board: We've created a new forum dedicated to streaming services and free to play games. Stop by to check it out.
- Game Night Returns: Stop by on Tuesday 4/7/09 to participate in the first game night of the year. The game will be Left 4 Dead on the PC or 360. We'll be handing out a participation celebration emblem.
Note: If you cannot participate in the first game night of the year because of the ESRB rating, please read the game night FAQ for further information.
- Participation Emblem Alert: If you're an avid contributor of GameSpace banners you can receive an emblem for helping out numerous times. The following staff and users received the Banner Printer emblem last week: anthonyr1, capedbear , chilledmartini, insinuendo, rohver, ticonorico21, yevinorion and zixarga.- System Wars rules thread has been updated. The new thread is easier to read and better categorized.Member Spotlight
This week's member spotlight goes to Moroes for his editorial about how some of today's games are using the same molds as previous games. Here's an excerpt:
The sad truth is that the companies are scared to be creative, due to the increased chance of failure. Failure results in less money, and at this point everyone is trying to get as much money as they possibly can. I wouldn't blame them.User ReviewsThis week's user reviews were taken from my tracked users list!
- The Dishwasher: Dead Samurai (X360) by ruff_edgz
- Crysis (PC) fat_otter
- Nancy Drew: Secrets Can Kill (PC) Azghouls
- Mass Effect (X360) bacchus2
- BioShock (X360) borninvincible
- Lost Odyssey (X360) spazzx625
Randomness teh Awesome
- GoryAbomination received the hotspot homework emblem for his Zelda concept art.
- Lik has posted some pictures of his handheld games collection.Moderator Corner
The Mod of the Month for April goes to Hungry_Bunny. Who would you have chosen? Stop by this thread to vote.
We brought aboard quite a few initiate moderators last week. Off-topic leaked the inormation, but if you don't hang out there, the new modlings include btaylor2404, iowastate, dab198, Gamecamiller, Bozanimal and Mattykovax. They all have quite a long journey ahead to make it past the hazing period.Tip of the WeekThis week's tip is about observing unfamiliar users that post in comments and forums around the internet. It's always best to be cautious about clicking on links provided by people you do not know. Even when you know someone you should always get in a habit to follow these steps just in case your friends make a mistake.How can you tell if you can trust a user on what their advice or their recommendation? Read on for some tips.
1) Is he or she an established community member of the website you are using? GameSpot has a record of how long a user has been registered in the user profile page and each forum post has the user's count and profile level on the site. On GameSpot it is a good idea to check the profile level and visit the user's profile to see who they are before considering a recommendation or website they are linking to.On a related note, if a newer registrant knows GameSpot way too well, this could also be a sign of a user that was previously banned or has an active alternate account. The best thing to do is be cautious with newer registrants that are acting out of the ordinary.2) Is the user asking you to check out a website in a forum or comment for no given reason? Thats a bad sign already. If you do not know this person do NOT click the link. It could be a virus or a phishing website.3) If you can't help but want to click the link first highlight your mouse cursor over the hyperlinked text and look on the bottom of your browser to see the url splash in the browser status tray.Example: Try the cursor over the link method with the link here now called GameIAMALMOTLIKEGS.com. If you noticed the status bar in your internet browserit shows that I hyperlinked you to GameSpot's sister site.4) Another method was suggested by icytower38. Right click a link and select "Properties". If the url in the pop-up does not match what the user posted, chances are it is offensive or contains a virus.
5) And our last tip was provided by Hungry_Bunny. When you're using any site that someone directed you to, check the website url in the browser and see if you re logged in. If not, DO NOT login. For instance, let's say you were happily browsing GameSpot and a unfamiliar user refers what you think is another url to a page on GameSpot. You click the link and the site looks like GameSpot and you are logged out. Check the url because some websites are created to phish your contact information for the purpose of stealing your identity.
Until next week!
Streaming & Online Services forum is your one-stop discussion forum for current and upcoming streaming game services, such as OnLive, GaiKai, and OTOY, as well as online game services such as Steam. Stop by to start some new discussions in the newly created board!
- Site Change: The new image viewer has rolled out on the site. Go to your game list in your profile or do some searches for the gamespaces on the site.
- Event coverage: GDC week uncovered the hype around OnLIVE. Did you miss anything else? We continued to roll out the coverage this last weekend so stop by to make sure you didn't miss out on anything. Additionally, Tor Thorsen posted a blog with videos of the show floor
- Emblem: If you missed out on the GDC emblem there were some requirements. You needed to watch the OnLive unveiling during the live press conference and discuss the content. If you did both of these and didn't receive your emblem, drop by this reporting thread to claim your emblem.
- Game Night Update (finally!): Looks like Game Night will be returning next Tuesday with a new time frame to benefit our east coast and European GameSpotters. To make a return we wanted to have a game across a variety of platforms. Next week's game night will be Left for Dead on the PC and 360 from 4pm PT to 6pm PT.
- Illegal or Mature Advertisments? We have a new reporting thread in case there is an automated advertisements problem.
This week's member spotlight goes to whoozwah for keeping it real. Whoozwah has a variety of suggestions on ways people can hold truths to be self evident . Here is an excerpt:
Not everything you like is "epic"
Not everything you dislike is "fail"
Sequels are better than remakes/ports
Below is this week's activity from the top 100 and 500 reviewers list.
- Starcraft (PC) Aberinkulas
- Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six Vegas 2 (PC) doctor_kaz
- Thrillville: Off the Rails (360) Dreski83
- Command & Conquer: Red Alert 3 (360) DouglasBuffone
- Wheelman (360) wonderboy_46
- Crisis Core: Final Fantasy VII (PSP) AzelKosMos
- Avatar: The Last Airbender (Wii) zh666
- MCU Game Night 1 Footage by vgm007. Footage from the Moderator Collective Union Game Night 1 - Gears of War 2.
- British Grenadiers Tribute bangell99 using Empire: Total War footage.
- OnLIVE was the hot topic in blogs this week. Here's a collection of those who wrote about it: sieg6529, c_rake, Jerell_rast, FakePlasticSN32, nftw, wehttam16, xblane, kainsec, MrCHUP0N, shabulia and _LiquidFlame_.
- The_DRUGGIE has posted his top 5 annoying bosses of all time.
- floristandbicyc has been added to the Soapbox due to his well written editorial about Character Archetypes in video games .
- nutcracker from UK shares his impressions of Cryostasis, which should make it out to the US on April 20th ,
- Setho10 has posted a blog sharing many impressions; so much I cannot describe them.
- xriceballx has posted a blog celebration of 3 years on GameSpot. The blog includes some shoutouts to her GameSpot buddies.
- GDC Harmonix Party pictures and videos by JodyR.
RPG Temple is offering any and all role playing discussions around a variety of platforms. It's kind of like the General Games Discussion board, only you have to be very role playing eccentric. Stop by to read what they have to say about their recent discsussion related to Dragon Age: Origins.
Tip of the Week
This week's tip is about tagging, thanks to some help from GameSpot members, Avenger1324, JackBurton and ehsan8888. A tag is a word related to an item that another user has linked to it. Tags allow other users to search for content that have been "tagged" with the same word. For instance, check out Avenger1324's tag page. If you click on a keyword like Atari, which displays other users that tagged the content with the same keyword.
Tagging content is found in many areas on the site. Content such as forums, videos, gamespace pages, user images, user videos, articles [news, previews, features, reviews], blogs and threads all have a link or button to tag the content.
GameSpot also grants users an emblem depending on how much activity they have with tagging content.
Lastly, if you're interested in getting a keyword up in the tag cloud found on the forums directory, ehsan8888 suggests flagging content that is a not so popular keyword or game.
Find more suggestions from the GameSpot members located in How To GameSpot thread.
We'll see you next week!
EDIT: This maintenance has been completed. PMs are back online.
For those of you who have been coming across some bugs with private messages, we're in the process of doing some maintenance to fix the problems. Your inboxes will be showing empty for the next 3-4 hours. We will follow-up once they have been fixed. We apologize for the inconvenience during this time.
- Event coverage: Attend the Gamer Developers Conference 2009 virtually! We have plans to have a live press conference broadcast on Tuesday March 24 at 7pm PT. A little birdy told me that there will be an emblem for this press conference. Sometimes birdies lie, but it's worth a try [oh, I rhymed]. Then stop by on Wednesday for a special GDC episode of On the Spot.
- Emblem Activity: We are giving everyone one more chance to get their Reader's Choice emblem. Stop by here for the instructions .
- Game Night Status: If all goes well, we should be returning Game Nights on March 31st. Post your game recommendation.
This week's member spotlight goes to DouglasBuffone for his event report . Doug headed out to Las Vegas to attend the Red Faction Guerilla press event. Stop by to see pictures and read the full report!
Below is this week's activity from the top 100 and 500 reviewers list.
- ShellShock 2: Blood Trails (PC) dark_being
- SiN (PC) Aberinkulas
- Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3) doctor_kaz
- X-Blades (PS3) Domstercool
- Eternal Sonata (360) Garrison_Ford
- Saints Row 2 (360) NBAmaster33
- Speedy Gonzales: Los Gatos Bandidos (SNES) SophinaK
- Alien Syndrome (Wii) zh666
- Guitar Hero Metallica - For Whom the Bell Tolls gameplay by Dzjaansis. The video features mostly gameplay, but there are some shots of the band as well.
- Star Ocean: The Last Hope - My own battle by tjoeb123. Primarily gameplay but tjoeb does a little teaser in the beginning.
Randomness teh Awesome
Seems that many of you enjoy this corner of the weekly report!
- kansasdude2009 has posted some pictures of his gaming set up.
- kittykatz5k has posted 5 animes reviews for the following: Death Note, Yu Yu Hakusho, Naruto, Paranoia Agent, and Bleach.
- Writer1983 recently realized just how good it is to be bad for a change. She shares her impressions about GTA: Chinatown Wars on the DS.
- Frozen Liquid has been added to the Soapbox. Check out his recent editorial about game art.
- RasutoSSAikou recently wrote a blog about gender identification. Does gaming really have no gender?
- GameSpot DS forum posters are hosting an unofficial Pokemon Tournament for Pokemon Diamond/Pearl and Platinum. Registration ends on April 10th
- The mods have started a new game night for those who want to bash them in the game. Psst, it's really the only way you can without breaking the ToU.
Tip of the Week
GameSpot Soapbox is a place where rants and ramblings about gaming and other topics are posted on GameSpot. Who particpates in this feature? A variety of GameSpot editors and selected GameSpot users. If you are profiecent in writing skills and have some interesting incite about the gaming industry create a blog post and use the category "editorial". If you would like to avoid being considered, use another drop down menu other than Editorial.
On a related note, we have cleaned out a lot of inactive soabox users last week and will continue to finish up the spring cleaning later this week. If you haven't been an active blogger in general, it is highly likely the association to soapbox will be removed.
Until next week!
- Site Change: The gamespace video page layout was recently updated. You can also expect to see the latest files filtered by default. [example]
- Event coverage: Resident Evil 5 Launch Party
- Emblem Activity: Reader's choice emblem was awarded to individuals last Friday. However, we plan to have another window opened next week for those of you who missed out on the first reporting thread. [details]
- Emblem Award: Two lucky UK GameSpotters received the Soothsayer emblem for correctly predicting at least three winners during the live coverage of the BAFTA videogame awards.
- Game Night: Since the union was established a variety of users have been helping out to get the union situated. I plan to bring out a schedule some time this week. We'll send out a telegram in the union once game nights return. You can also expect a notice in the weekly community report. [union]
- Future Site Change: There is still some time left to submit feedback about the upcoming image viewer found in gamespaces. [details]
- GameSpot UK Halo Wars giveaway for a limited edition Halo Wars Xbox 360 console system ends on March 27th. UK residents age 18 or older are eligible to enter. [details]
This week's member spotlight goes to AnelZukic for creating a blog about the future of gaming consoles. For being an early 2008 registrant, he's an active blog poster worth tracking. In his recent blog entitled ReFuture – One conole provides his thoughts about future consoles and a rumor about a single gaming platform. What would a single console system be called by media? Uniconsole? Consolekiller? Check his blog for the scoop!
Below is this week's activity from the top 100 and 500 reviewers list.
- Assault Heroes 2 (360) bacchus2
- Braid (360) Garrison_Ford
- Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn (Wii) zh666
- Prince of Persia: Warrior Within (PC) chandu83
- Rune Factory 2: A Fantasy Harvest Moon (DS) Shinno441
- Star Control II (PC) Aberinkulas
- Uncharted: Drake's Fortune (PS3) doctor_kaz
- dtujd2 asks if GTA has a bigger impact on gaming than Super Mario Bros?
- polsci1503 has posted a first look at Resident Evil 5.
- The HotSpot homework emblem was handed out to rhombusmaniac and masterthehero.
- Soulreavercross recently entered what he calls the GameSpot cursed level also known as Big Smoke. Look how spooky his profile looked at level 0!
- VixDiesel has shown off her gorgeous looking cat in a recent blog about the Game cat making a return.
Katiff is looking for a new Leader to take over his leadership role in the World of Warcraft players union . The union has nearly 1300 members and it continues to grow. If you are interested in the role, PM him that you're interested in this role.
Tip of the Week
This week's tip is for those of you who have not tried out the game list feature in your GameSpot profile. Here is how it works.
1. Do a search for a game of your choice and click on the appropriate platform.
2. Click Add Game link found under the game title on the gamespace page. [example]
3. The pop-up will display four options as follows:
- Add to My Tracked List
Tracking List is a good option if you want updated about your favorite games or game series.
- Add to My Collection
My Collections list is a good way for you to track what you own and some people have used it for a list of what they have rented. Shh, don't tell anyone I said that.
- Add My Wish List
My Wish list helps you remember those games you're anticipating. Maybe you won't want to buy it down the road and you decide to rent it. Either way, with how many games that get released each year, this is the easily the best way to keep an eye on upcoming games and their game release dates.
- Add to My Now Playing List
Some people forget about what they have listed as now playing. If you think you notice that you cannot stop thinking about a specific game, add it to your play list. You are bound to continue to play it off and on for the next month or so.
When it is time to edit your game list, drop by the Game Lists link in your profile. Some of the changes include sorting by platform, move to another category and delete game from your game list.
Until next week!