Totally fresh comments, never canned. . . catch up on all of the community happenings here.
Other Site Blogs
GameSpot Versus Beat the Pros Edition is a way for GameSpot members to test their skills against super star pro gamers. From FPS to...
You wake up in an unknown facility, in a medical gown and nothing else. The cold sense of reality sets in; you don't know your...
The first half round (Round 1a) of the All Time Greatest Hero voting competition has started. Go to your brackets page and begin voting for the game heroes you predicted.
Round 1a will be open until September 4th. Here are the heroes facing off.
- Mario vs. Bonk
- The Prince vs. Nights
- Kyle Katarn vs. Dig Dug
- Lara Crof vs. Parappa
- Cloud Strife vs. Lester K Chaykin
- Phoenix Wright vs. Little Mac
- Pikachu vs. Nathan Drake
- Sam Fisher vs. Kratos
- Guybrush Threepwood vs. Wander
- Ryu vs. Abe
- Niko Belic vs. The Apprentice
- Strider Hiryu vs. Cate Archer
- Liu Kang vs. Yoshi
- Gordon Freeman vs. Bomberman
- Alucard vs. Travis Touchdown
- Snake vs. Crash Banicoot
This coming Friday, drop back to the vote for the second half round (Round 1b), which will include the remainder 32 game heroes! You should also campaign for your favorite game heroes by going to the campaign image kits thread located here.
We've made some changes to our weekly report schedule to Fridays to give you all some things to check into during the weekend. This will give me a chance to update Spam Filter with the latest happenings during the week. Also, did you see the new community spotlight segment in a recent TOTS episode? We're also hoping to have the Today On the Spot community spotlight every Tuesdays, but we're still ironing out the schedule for this.
Two other things that should be mentioned before this Friday's community report is tomorrow night's PC game night and the game heroes' brackets.
We have had some people confused about how to save their brackets. Tomorrow we'll begin the game hero battles and your brackets will be locked in. If you have not saved your bracket, take the following steps:
1) Select the game heroes of your choice all the way to the final 2.
2) Under the Tiebreakers field fill in both fields. You cannot save your brackets until you do this.
% of vote for winner [In the final battle between the last two heroes, what percentage of the votes do you think the winning hero will get over his opponent?]
# of votes for winner [In the final battle between the last two heroes, how many total votes do you think the winning hero will get?]
Additionally, Game Night will be Dawn of War 2 on the PC. Kevin VanOrd will be stopping by to play starting at 4:30 PT on September 1st.
The game heroes brackets have gone live. The feature is packed with information about all 64 heroes! Head on over and read the news update about how to create your own bracket.
For those of you looking for some image campaign kits for your favorite and you aren't too graphic savvy, why not request one in the submission thread .
Additionally, everyone who voted have now have a new emblem on their profiles. Thanks for helping us determine the remainder 10 game heroes to add to the 54 game heroes we already chose.
- Game Hero brackets open tomorrow! For those of you who would like to begin creating or borrowing other GameSpot member image kits (signatures, avatars and profile banners) for your favorite game heroes, drop by this campaigning rules. If you decide to create some image kits for other GameSpot members, be sure to post them in the submission thread .
- This week's game night will be on the PlayStation 3. Players can take part in Fat Princess & MotorStorm: Pacific Rift action! We'll start playing at 4pm PT.
- The FireStarter emblem has rarely been updated over the past few years because it was manually chosen by Editorial staff. We have re-purposed the emblem with a new description and purpose. Thus far, the new emblem holders represent what we define as talented discussion creators who tend to keep the hot forum icon.
Hot forum icon example:
This week's member spotlight goes to david_lck for his investigative reporting on retro games and how they have influenced today's handheld games. david_lck was also added to the Soapbox feature for this editorial blog.
Here is an excerpt:
"Nintendo aficionados, will no doubt know the history of this great company. But did you know that long before the GameBoy and G & W handhelds, there was Hanafuda cards, playing cards to those not familiar with the term."
Featured User Videos
Consoles Generation Union Commericial by omega-sonic
CSS surf video fail by rtssam
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood (X360) JustPlainLucas
Braid (PC) SYdoggXxX
Knights in the Nightmare (DS) c_rake
Metroid Prime 3: Corruption (Wii) NeonNinja
Mortal Kombat II (SNES) Garrison_Ford
Phoenix Wright 2 (DS) Platyphyllum
Prey (PC) ChristianKiss
Quake 4 (X360) loopy_101
Rogue Galaxy (PS2) asian_pride69
Shadow Complex (X360) PAJ89
Shadow Complex (X360) dracula_16
Xenosaga Episode I: Der Wille zur Macht (PS2) AzelKosMos
Zack & Wiki Treasure (Wii) bacchus2
Randomness Teh Awesome
- capin131 finds the Flower game to be the beauty of the world.
- TurtlePerson2 shares the good and bad of downloadable content.
- HeyMaa asks abou the future of gaming.
- pakhair does a comparison between the PS3 Fat, PS3 Slim, and X360
- LucasPenney, a PS3 player, believes the PC still has the best gaming community.
- TheKungFool asks where have all the campaigns gone?
- theR34p3R believes that the WoW: Cataclysm expansion has caused the community to fall into chaos.
- Epic Boss Battle Captain Hook by mizasterj
- THUG1 Glitches and things by Minimme
- Memento Mori Game Ending by dark_being
- TOTS premiere emblem will be added to profiles a bit later this week. Anyone who receives the emblem receive a private message from us.
- This week's screenshot caption winner is ZeruelZero. He also receive the Screenshot Captioner emblem.
- Game Night Bounty Hunter emblem went to lettuceman44 for kicking butt at QuakeLive.com.
Tip of the Week
nintendo-naut recently wrote an advice blog about writing better user reviews. In brief:
- The purpose of reviewing a game is to inform others if the game is worthy buying.
- Writing a decent review takes time and a bit of effort.
- Write a clincher sentence.
- Talk about the game's core and controls.
- Point out what's good about the gameplay.
- Point out the game's problems.
- End the review with a brief summary and some final thoughts
Drop by his blog for more review tips.
Until next week…
With our weekly On the Spot (OTS) show transforming to a three days a week Today On the Spot (TOTS) show, we are interested in what you have to say about it! GameSpot members who 'watch' and 'discuss' the show by leaving feedback in the comments will be granted an emblem.
Drop by any time between August 20th (Thursday) from 4pm and August 22nd (Saturday) at 3:59 PM to watch the season premiere and be sure to leave your feedback in the comments. Note that the second show will be available on August 22nd at 4pm.
Additional note to subscribers: TOTS is no longer a live show so there will be no chatroom available. The chatroom is reserved for future game marathons and other live events.
For further details, check out the new Producer's Note site blog to read what staff have to say about the new show and then drop by to see the TOTS teaser video.
UPDATE: The first 50 GameSpot members have received the emblem for the first two hours of the "best" TOTS feedback. We'll be handing out the remainder of them who post feedback off and on each day (including the feedback provided in the first 2 hours that weren't too descriptive with their feedback). Note that we are not looking for only good feedback for this particiaption emblem. Any kind of feedback that helps us consider to make the new TOTS an ever better show (althought it's SIMPLY AWESOME as is) is what we're hoping to get. So far the feedback has been awesome with a lot of nice comments. Main problem some of you have is the new duration length and desiring us to slow down on our excitement of talking. Anything else you enjoy or dislike? Post that feedback before this Saturday at 3:59pm PT.
Here he is.
Introducing… the first and possibly the only time you'll see Mr. TOTS.
What? OTS is evolving! OTS evolved into TOTS! This savvy user watched the first episode of our newly transformed On the Spot show called Today On the Spot; short for TOTS.
We've recently started creating gamespaces for major pieces of downloadable content and, going forward, we plan to review many of them. Regardless of whether or not we've reviewed a piece of DLC, once the gamespace is created and the DLC is released, you'll have an opportunity to post your own reviews and ratings for the new content. We don't have a gamespace for every single piece of DLC that's released (we won't have one for Oblivion's horse armor or Street Fighter IV's costume packs, for example), and that's unlikely to change anytime soon. DLC will be more prominently featured on GameSpot in the future though, and you can find our coverage of DLC like Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta or Red Faction: Guerrilla: Demons of the Badlands by searching either for the title of the DLC or the title of the parent game. For example, if you search for Fallout 3 you can then scroll down the page and find links to the game's add-ons.
Game Night - Quake Live
Starting at 4pm PT on Tuesday, August 18th, we should be playing at least until 7:30pm PT. Drop by the FAQ .
All Time Greatest Game Heroes
The current voting among the 24 entrants ends on August 25th. Once you have voted, drop by the ATG forum.
User Video uploads down
Staff are aware of the problem. I am skipping featured videos section for the week.
Member Spotlight: Samson089
This week's member spotlight goes to Samson089 for creating a review about the different kind of game demos available to those of you who are hesitant in purchasing a game without a little hands on gameplay! He gives a thorough process on the different kinds of demos. Here's an excerpt:
"…most developers offer three types of demos. One is made of the most choice slices of the game, the second is made up of the first 15 or so minutes of actual game play and the third is the Limited demo. All of them have their own unique pitfalls…"
ARMA II - Jedo
Fallout 3: Mothership Zeta - dark_being
Vampire: The Masquerade – Bloodlines - Platyphyllum
Codename: Nina - Global Terrorism Strike Force - Azghouls
Alien Shooter: Vengeance – Cunhao
BlazBlue: Calamity Trigger - AK_the_Twilight
Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood - celtic1962
Splosion Man - dracula_16
The Last Remnant – Soulreavercross
Zoids Assault - zh666
Wii Sports Resort - JustPlainLucas
Tiger Woods PGA Tour 10 - Garrison_Ford
Dragon Quest V: Hand of the Heavenly Bride – WAIW
Tales of Hearts - ShadowLaguna
Super Robot Taisen OG Saga - SemiMaster
Monster Hunter Freedom Unite - Domstercool
Baten Kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean (GC) AzelKosMos
Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) xboxrulze
Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2) bluej33
Project: Snowblind (PS2) ebbderelict
Randomness Teh Awesome
- SkylinePigeon (ATG Forum) asks who the real hero is - Wander, or AGRO? Game spoilers included
- msudude211 (ATG Forum) posts some hints about the upcoming All Time Game Heroe emblems.
- Lalucar (SW Forum) believes that PS3 is the Xbox of this Gen while 360 is the PS2 of this Gen. He definitely has an interesting reasoning behind his thoughts.
- wonderboy_46 posted his Uncharted movie cast
- GameBlender has a top 5 gaming grandfathers list
- Talonfire revisits Fallout (1997)
- Raikoh_tells her story about the digital representation dilemma
- evrdayblues describes the difference between franchises and series
- c_rake asks the question on whether or not reviewers need to play the game until the end to give a fair evaluation.
- The SonicSpot Union recently had a new trivia challenge. The SonicSpot Trivia Challenge offered a way for GameSpot users to test their knowledge about the sonic series. Drop by their union for future activities.
- The Firestarter emblem is being re-purposed! We'll share more details in the coming weeks.
- Last week's Gears of War 2 game night MVP went to Bigboss232.
Tip of the Week
SkylinePigeon, our moderator of the month, wrote a helpful guide about how to be respectful. In brief!
1. Always be open to ideas other than your own.
2. Read the other person's opinion carefully.
3. Opinions can make us angry!
4. Report abuse and ignore.
5. Keep the discussion on the topic.
6. Understand a person's reasoning behind their post.
7. Use I believe & I think phrases.
Be sure to read through the article for the reason behind each one!
Until next week!
All-Time Greatest Game Hero (ATG) is GameSpot's new interactive editorial feature that gives you the opportunity to determine, once and for all, who the greatest video game hero is. You will also have a chance to manage your own brackets based own votes and win prizes. If you have participated in CBSSports' March Madness, you'll know exactly what we're getting at.
GameSpot staff had our own gruesome debate to consider the heroes to include. We defined 54 game heroes that must make it to the competition brackets. However, we couldn't decide who should make it out of the next 24 game heroes and we need your help to get them down to 10, to create a 64 game hero competition. So, vote for your favorite of the 24 game heroes you believe need to make it to the competition bracket today!
The voting process begins today and will end on August 25th 2009. Emblems will be handed out to voters.
UPDATE Apologies, the voting bracket begins on the 25th. The 24 entrants ended this morning.
This summer, GameSpot has offered plenty of content and activities worth checking out on the site. While we might have a few more exciting happenings up our sleeve, I would like to share one of them. There is a new feature that offers a way for you all to comment with the possibility of having your chosen caption featured from selected screenshots. Read more for the scoop.
- Screenshot Captions Feature: GameSpot puts up hundreds of screenshots each week. Some are just so awesome, we'd like you all to post captions for them. The best caption in the comments will be featured in the following week's edition!
- Gears of War 2 Game Night will be held tonight , August 11th starting at 4pm PT. Drop by the FAQ for the details and be sure to vote for the time you'll be dropping by so we can stick around! Make sure to download the latest mappack if you haven't already. Additionally, last week's Excitbot game night MVP went to phoenyx9.
- We have 100 more Cities XL PC beta keys to give away. Drop by for the details about how to obtain a key!
- Moderator of the Month goes to SkylinePigeon. She's the only user on the site with the Mod of the Month emblem! Which moderator would you have voted for?
Member Spotlight: ErrolJames
This week's member spotlight goes to ErrolJames for his blog about whether or not winners cheat. He shares his experience with gameshark and pokemon and how much it may or may not help to cheat.
"…I feel like if everything came too easy, I'd find myself pretty bored. Sure I would have plenty of things to do, but my sense of accomplishment wouldn't be there. I take pride in the things I've accomplished."
Featured User Videos
Dodgy Games Episode 1 - BaronVonRosco
Description: Kris plays a lot of videogames. But when he runs out of games to play he seeks the help of a dodgy salesman. And the game "Asterix" he receives isnt what he expected.
How to get the Sniper Rifle - Printul_Noptii
Description: A video tutorial for obtaining the sniper rifle in the PC game version of The Chronicles of Riddick Assault on Dark Athena.
Randomness Teh Awesome
- Gen_Warbuff has the feeling that game controllers are of the past.
- Drumtasticnick seems to be addicted to achievements.
- NuKkU has posted his Top 10 Most Underrated Games
- just_nonplussed considers how it is not so easy to find older games.
- starduke determines how game designers may attract female adults.
- TheHotSpot homework winner this week is barrett33.
- Skipped User Review highlights for the week.
Tip of the Week
Last week there was a question about what defines an editorial. Here is the best suggestion out of the comments that were posted.
Polybren: "Ideally, it's just a news article that takes a position on a subject. Editorials work best when they're laden with well-researched facts and convince readers to look at an issue from a fresh perspective. They're also a part of a media outlet where the audience is told not to expect impartiality. But with so many places now editorializing in their straight news reporting, the line has certainly blurred."
BradMaster: "To me a editorial is someone's point of view around a subject. A editorial can be from a informative point to an opinion. In my opinion most editorials should have some kind of media to back them up and get the readers interest. Another thing that most writers get wrong, the tittles! They have to be dynamic so that they grab the readers' attention. "
SymonDezyn: "Editorials are a writeup on a particular topic, from one person's point of view or perspective… the best ones are respectful of the fact that their readers may not share their opinion or perspective, and also back up their opinions with facts. Words like "I think" or "In my opinion" may not be the best choices…"
Next week's tip was written by a moderator who outlines some of the easy ways to obtain respect from others.
Until next week!
-Game Night: ExciteBots on the Wii starts at 4pm PT tomorrow. Vote for the time you plan to drop by so we can stick around later.
-New Free Registration system(need to be logged out to view) has kicked in as of late last week. If you have any friends that haven't registered, now is the time to tell then it's easier than ever! Plus, who wouldn't want to use our awesome community tools!
Member Spotlight: masterpinky2000
We rarely find any sports fanatics blogging on the site; well, if we do they don't know nearly as much as masterpinky2000! This week's member spotlight goes to masterpink2000 for his investigation about sports games' trade logic and franchise development.
Featured User Videos
Randomness Teh Awesome
- Game Shopping Pros and Cons by Bluegreen17
- Star Trek games: Misused franchise or too hard to develop for? by Smokescreened84
- 30 Most Memorable Moments In Gaming by ethanpaigw
- Old School Gamer Chronicles 5 - Star Wars - Dark Forces by Talonfire
- 3 Games you should try by Samson089
- Trophies and Achievements taking away the old spirit by DanTheMan450
- Where did the fun go? by jmace1
- TheHotSpot Homework emblem went to JAB991 and sneslover
- GS AU Crosshairs Community Segment 7/30/09
Tip of the Week
This week you all get to give tips to others about what makes a good editorial. Post and read the comments here. I'll share the best of them in next week's report
Lastly, if you have any tips for forum threads that are really hot for the week, feel free to send me a PM with a link.
Until next week.
- Removal of 'moderate user' in blogs: We have changed the blog system to only allow GameSpot site moderators and staff to mark moderation histories going forward. As you might have experienced, when users didn't like random people posting in their blogs they had a way to moderate users with a warning, which was a mark in the user's moderation history. Some users abused this privilage with rude comments for the reason of the comment deletion. All users will continue to have access to delete comments in their blogs. You will want to report abuse to moderator if the abuse falls under flaming, advertising, and offensive content.
- Tuesday's Game Night 7/28: PC gamers cannot rent games like the console gamers so we're going to try an experiment with Free Realms tomorrow night from 4-7pm PT.We've heard a lot of good things about the racing mini game being compared to Mario Kart. No subscription requirements to register and play. Read the FAQ for more information.
- Game Nights Schedule: We're almost done with the schedule. Help us finish by posting your suggestions! We're hoping to include your anticipated game releases.
Member Spotlight: Sieg6529This week's member spotlight goes to sieg6529 for explaining why video games to movies may not be the best idea. He uses the Super Mario Bros. and Mortal Kombat filsm as examples.
Featured User Videos
Both users have received the 'As Seen On GameSpot' emblem for being featured.
- Modded PS1 Case: craigofadown made his own case for his PlayStation.
- CoD 4: Weird and Fun: _VitoCorleone_ (aka YT: FuggedabouditNL) has mirrored one of their funny videos from youtube.
This week's user reviews were pulled from the users who recently were granted the Top 100 or 500 emblem.
- Dead Space (PC) Cunhao
- Ratchet & Clank Future (PS3) PSFreak1
- Mirror's Edge (PS3) SGTiD1NG0
- Call of Juarez: Bound in Blood (PC) LGTX
- Prototype (PC) topsemag55
- Necrovision (PC) ChristianKiss
- Resident Evil 5 (PS3) stephenage
- Donkey Kong Country (SNES) samusarmada
- Samba de Amigo (Wii) loopy_101
- Shadow of the Colossus (PS2) ebbderelict
Randomness Teh Awesome
- OT: Is giving a peck on the cheek normal in America? by DragonRebel0908
- OT: GameSpot's next top moderator by iginlawasup
- GGD: Do you fear games that require you to go in deep water? By shamozer
- GGD: Where is the borderlands hype by ASK_Story
- System Wars: PS3 Wand vs X360 Natal by Ribnarak
- Safad0 shares his thoughts about how to get your girlfriends to play games.
- starduke describes what can make a game great.
- THE_DRUGGIE shares the 5 Funniest Games of All Time
- Ultim@te G@miNg Uni0n's leader, uas-2001, has announced a new caption competition; the main requirement is to have some humor!
- The Off Topic Legionaries's leader, optiow, would like to share a new competition for the union. Name that Movie Screenshot competition ends on August 10th
- HotSpot homework emblem goes to CanadianAK47
- NuKkU's brother has made a variety of game character drawings worth checking out.
- Monkey Island: Special Video w/Ending by dark_being ***SPOILER WARNING***
Tip of the Week
Member spotlight users that get featured on the community hub also receive a member spotlight emblem. Each week, there are some areas that staff may find a user that should be featured. If there are too many good users to choose from, the remainder may be featured in the random section of the community report. Today, I'll share how staff may end up noticing your profile and blogs.
- Roll of the dice. Sometimes, it's by sheer luck! If you go to the forums directory there is a module called 'Latest Returning Users'. If you do not have the default G avatar, you might have your avatar clicked on. Reason being, an active GameSpot contributor will likely customize their profile and avatar image to their personal preference. Best thing to do is make sure you change out your avatar from default to show the appearance of an active Gamespot member who is likely to post a blog or two worthy of being mentioned.
- Listing your blogs as an 'editorial'. If you want staff to notice your blogs, sometimes the editorial drop down does the trick. Maybe your blog won't receive the SoapBox feature access, but it's definitely something we have to share with other users.
- GameSpot staff member tracks your profile. Sometimes, the users are tracked by GameSpot staff. We find many of you so interesting, that we must be a fan of you! So, next time you see a staff member tracking you, know that you may just be a savvy contributor.
Lastly, when users are considered they also need to have a good about me section because the community spotlight module on the community page displays this information. Here is an example of this week's member spotlight.
Without an about me page the user's spotlight feature will display as incomplete.
Your assignments this week; check your about me sections to make sure they are current. If you do not have an about me section, you can add some information about yourself by going to options/about me tab.
A big thanks to Brianfox1 for the question.
- Next week's Game Night: We're going to do an experiment with a free MMO next week, July 28th. Many PC gamers continue to remind us that money is tight and many of you are tired of us only playing console or PC shooters. So, we're going to try out Free Realms next Tuesday from 4pm to 7pm. Drop by to show your free games support! More information will be posted in the Game Night Union later this week.
- Game Night Aftermath: We had enough people drop by to play in the Battlefield 1943 game night this week. Justin and Chris played on the Xbox 360 while I played with the PlayStation 3. The two individuals that received the MVP for each platform include PS3_FAN_101 (PS3) and RealKilla_789 (X360). Nice going guys!
- Nearly 40 recommended user reviews have been considered for a top reviewer's emblem. Looks like about half of them may likely receive one of the emblems. I'll announce them in the recommendation thread hopefully later this week.
- Senior Moderator Role Returns: We brought back the senior moderator role, which is basically the same as general moderator; the main difference is how the mods were around prior to December 2006. Read the scoop that was reported by Caddy06_88.
- GameSpot Australia's Crosshairs recently had another community segment that features GameSpot member comments.Member Spotlight: EE2lemmonhead
This week's member spotlight goes to EE2lemmonhead for having an interesting outlook about how the gaming industry may not be recession proof Check out his recent blog to learn more about some recession friendly gaming tips. The member spotlight emblem is well deserved!
Featured User Videos
- Signature Creation Tutorial (Pain9000000). If you have been wondering how to work with image backgrounds found in signatures, check out this tutorial.
- System Wars: The Comic MD Issue (Willy105): An interesting comic strip about our favorite System Wars forum lingo with sheep, cows and lemming.
You may view these user videos on the forums directory. Furthermore, they both received the 'As Seen on GameSpot' emblem.User Reviews- Excitebots: Trick Racing (Wii) kansasdude2009
- Ghostbusters The Video Game (PS3) AzelKosMos
- Halo: Combat Evolved (Xbox) Aberinkulas- Riviera: The Promised Land (GBA) bluej33
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine (PC) Jd1680a
- de Blob (Wii) AK_the_TwilightRandomness Teh Awesome
- EAJack keeps coming up with some interesting articles in his blog so he's been featured in the Soapbox. His recent blog is a 10-Step program about making better games.- MindforgeTech is a newer registered user that has posted quite a few blogs. Besides the internet lingo paper he wrote for college, you might be interested in his Left 4 Dead Tips .- maniac-2k7 claims that preordering is the best way to go. Do you agree with him?
- celtic1962 has a list of RPGs he has played over the last 20 years. Want to get to know someone who has a long history playing many kinds of role playing games? He's your guy!
- Platyphyllum has posted part two of his most memorable games.Tip of the WeekThis week's tip is about how the SoapBox feature functions. Two questions that get asked frequently asked are related to why some users get featured while others do not. This week's tip explains how the process works and there are about five things you can all do to be considered as a SoapBox user.
Here is a brief list.
- Flag your blog under 'Editorial' drop down if you want staff to review your blogs.
- Use grammar and mechanics properly.
- Do your research
- Occasionally consider the newbies or non-gamers
- Don't use colored or fancy fonts
- Make a history of writing editorial blogs to show longevity of a SoapBox contributor.
Next week's tip will be about the Member Spotlight.
- The Conduit (Wii) Game Night brought a lot of shooter fanatics together last night. Congrats to Gregdawg08 for receiving the MVP for the week.
- Next Tuesday's Game Night will be Battlefield 1943 on the Xbox 360 and PlayStation.
- The Mod of the Month for July goes to MAILER_DAEMON. It was a tie between Mailer_Daemon and cell_dweller; staff had to break the tie with their own votes. If given the chance to vote as a volunteer moderator, who would you have voted for? Place your vote.
- We have some more Cities XL beta keys to hand out. Drop by the competition forum for further details.
- Show Us Yours contest winners were contacted in late June. Be sure to congratulate them! Stevo_the_gamer and Wolf-5.
- We are aware that the user video player is currently down. We apologize for the inconvience during this time.
Member Spotlight: Safad0
This week's member spotlight goes to Safad0 for creating the ten commandments for developers. Check out his recent blog for the editorial.
- Damnation (PC) dark_being
- Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty (PS2) Maluigi
- Prototype (PC) nutcracker
- God of War: Chains of Olympus (PSP) Setho10
- Hotel Dusk: Room 215 (DS) bluej33
- Master of Monsters (Genesis) 3KindgomsRandy
- Punch-Out!! (Wii) Garrison_Ford
- Road & Track Presents: The Need for Speed (PS) Jedo
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 (PS2) Lightfellower
- Beowulf (X360) zh666
Randomness Teh Awesome
- The HotSpot homework emblem winner: Marterfarker.
- GameSpot Retro DVDs: To clean out our storage we are giving away some 2003-2004 GameSpot DVDs while supplies last.
- Bluegreen17 answers why everyone wants Scribblenauts.
- Shacks210 is a Socom series fan who posted a blog and a Socom map comparison.
- wiiplay1 has posted an article about the state of Nintendo.
- pakhair posted a birthday blog that also has a dedication to many GameSpot members. He lists people who have been helpful and those who frequently post.
- shoujobot shares his Wii experience with tons of neighbors and answers whether or not the Wii is a good console for small living environments.
- nichavgo talks about a simple game like Minesweeper.
Tip of the Week
Have you ever considered linking another Web site's image in a forum post or blog? Some Web sites do not appreciate people who drain their bandwidth. The larger the population of a community, especially as big as our site, the more likely the bandwidth will be a problem to these Web sites. We occasionally have some users who post these image URLs and some of these Web sites replace the image with offensive content that will have the account terminated. Today's tip of the week is about how you can link to images on GameSpot or an image provider to avoid having a Web site pull the filthy-image switcharoo on you!
First, let's explain how you can add an image to your GameSpot Image gallery as described by siberian142 from the How To GameSpot forum. Note that sometimes the image uploader can take up to 20 minutes to display in your profile.
The Images section of your profile allows you to upload your images to your profile, similar to an image hosting site.
Go to the Images sections of your profile and click Upload Images.
You'll be taken to this page.
Select a file from your hardrive to upload to Gamespot.
Album: Select which album to add an image to. To create a new album, click Create New Album underneath.
Title: Select a name for your image--32 characters max.
Association: Choose the association your image best relates to. Selecting Game will add it to the Image section of a gamespace.
Description: Describe your image.
Tag: Tagging your image will make it appear in a search when searching for the words you tag.
After you're done filling out the form, click Upload. If done correctly, your image will be processing and will be available shortly. You can check your image process by going to the album you added it to.
If you would like to upload your image using another service, check Gallego's post in the How To GameSpot forum. As always, if you have problems in any area of GameSpot's community, report the problem to Technical Support.
Until next week!
Many of you have been posting so much content, especially with those player reviews. I think it's time to get back into the weekly routine with your favorite community report on the net!
- Game Night this week (July 7th) will be Red Faction: Guerrilla on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. The following Tuesday July 14th game night will be The Conduit on the Wii. As always, you may drop by the official union for the latest discussions and to post your game suggestions.
- Preferences on GameSpot have been named Options for better understanding among our international users. If you check the upper right corner below your username you'll notice this change. Over the coming weeks you should expect to see the preferences button and control panel links on your profile carry over with these changes.
- All profile points were handed out for the Webby Awards as of 6/26. All of you should have noticed a spike in your level and possibly a signature .html code problem. Be sure to update your signatures as Lark instructed.
Member Spotlight: Drfish62
This week's member spotlight goes to DrFish62 for enlightening us about physically active video games that may be recommended to patients. Check out his latest blog for the details.
Featured User Videos
- Amster_G demonstrates how he deals with the PlayStation 3 & Controller skins.
- charlie_killer has posted a video review of Bioshock.
The following user review writers for selected for having the top 100 or 500 contributor emblem.
- FlatOut: Ultimate Carnage nutcracker
- Diablo II Azghouls
- X-Men Origins: Wolverine Jd1680a
- Pop bryehngeocef
- The House of the Dead: Overkill Platyphyllum
- Super Mario Galaxy SkylinePigeon
- Bit.Trip Beat c_rake
- Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World Domstercool
- MySims Kingdom zh666
- Noby Noby Boy bacchus2
- Penny Arcade Adventures: OtRPoD Episode Two AzelKosMos
- Red Faction: Guerrilla Lik
- Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen NBAmaster33
- Fracture celtic1962
- Guitar Hero: Metallica -Tish-
- Ghostbusters The Video Game NeoJedi
- Guitar Hero: Smash Hits AK_the_Twilight/
- James Bond: Quantum of Solace celtic1962
- Kingdom Under Fire: Circle of Doom zh666
- Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories 3KindgomsRandy
- Wild Arms 4 Lightfellower
- Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 4 ShadowLaguna
- Let's Pilates bryehngeocef
- Star Ocean: First Departure AzelKosMos
Randomness teh Awesome
- wonderboy_46 posted his Uncharted movie casting suggestions.
- Darth_Homer was been surprised about Wolfenstein.
- GabuEx stirred up the community with his question about reviews affecting game sales.
- sCaReCr0W asks game developers to be less ambitious.
- dark_being is digging the latest Fallout 3 DLC.
- AzelKosMos is super organized with his upcoming game plan of future game releases!
- bacchus2 has a growing image collection of game arcade cabinets, which were a part of a blog he created a while back.
Tip of the Week
Every now and then we'll update the forum headers and sticky threads due to a current or outdated problem in the community. There are some conditions in certain forums that may require points loss or a suspension duration if you do not follow the forum rules, Make sure to read these conditions for each forum before posting and you'll be in the clear. Thanks to kcwsk8 for the tip.
Next week's game night will be Red Faction Guerrilla on the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. Drop by on Tuesday, July 7th from 4 and 7pm PT. Brian Ekberg and Chris Watters will be playing on the Xbox 360 while I'll be using the PlayStation 3.
We'll return to our normal community weekly report next Monday. Check back then!
This year was packed with excitement. I had so many blogs sent my way so we'll skip the E3 discussion forum topics.
Member Spotlight: ClayMeow
It was difficult choosing, but ClayMeow brought a different point of view because he is primarily a PC gamer. Check out his blog entitled, E3 2009 Big 3 Analysis. Can you imagine having PC as the only platform you use? E3 press conferences would not be nearly as interesting to a dedicated PC gamer.
Everyone provided some great blogs. Thanks for sending them my way. To give everyone an idea about what kind of blog was sent our way, I have categorized people for fun. Enjoy!
These users analyzed what the show was all about.
- E3 2009 Round-Up david_lck
- E3 Write-Up Misfit1119
- My big E3 announcements chicknfeet
- E3 provided as many questions as it did answers KingOfOldSkool
- Nintendo Shouldn't Feel Threatened by New Motion Control Systems DouglasBuffone
- e3: Sequels Rule and New IPs Drool? Allicrombie
- What E3 2009 Taught Me donkeljohn
Each E3 circumstance is carefully outlined in a blog.
- To the Convention Center! Day One | Day Two | Day Three | E3 Awards gbrading
- E3 2009: My Thoughts Gamer_152
- An entire arsenal for E3 week! edubuccaneer
- My E3 Aftermath Blog pakhair
- Bioshockraptor's E3 09 Report Bioshockraptor
- Variety of E3 impression blogs Joy
- Ubisoft | Microsoft | EA - JustPlainLucas
-Jolly-Niner, Santa's wingman, bringing you the E3 Report Card! NeonNinja
- The Big 3s, Mutiplats, and Top Choice martialbullet
- Prototyping Milo subrosian
- Thoughts on the E3 Pressers PJ24
- E3 2009 Summary asian_pride69
- What an E3 it was this year NuKkU
- E3 Excitement Scientist8
- E3 2009: my reaction deiviuxs
- E3 Day 1 AnelZukic
These users gave bits and pieces about E3.
- My E3 Impressions btaylor2404
- E Qubed fat_otter
- New Metroid game reveled! Secrets exposed jeb800e
- Infamous, Red Faction = awesome, E3 '09 = EPIC! tiggerboy
- Post E3 + Exams msudude211
- E3 2009 and Losing my Wallet Amnesiac23
- Anyone like Nintendo Press conference? Soulreavercross
- E3 Thoughts And An Update jediknight52501
- E3's terrible secret Elk
- Ranking the E3 Press Conferences SethSOMT
- Microsoft dropped the Megaton Bomb! Soulreavercross
- My E3 Thoughts yourfriendblake
- E3 Impressions gamingqueen
- Monkey Island and other E3 stuff Sophia
These users posted a blog about what went good, bad and ugly!
- E3 Conferences and Games Garrison_Ford
- My 2 day E3 highlights WaterLord0
- My E3 wrap up easykill_astari
- What I played at E3 2009 DouglasBuffone
- E3 Highlights: I want you bad dynam3
- My thoughts about E3 DarkNeoBahamut
- E3 2009: Who Really Won E3 2009? PSFreak1
- E3 Highlights finalcross
- On E3 and Press Conferences danny_dm_moore
GameSpot E3 Trivia
For those of you interested in participating in a GameSpot E3 trivia, drop by this forum!
We have some of you doing some pre-E3 impressions this year! After you check out what your fellow GameSpotters and Staff have to stay before E3 starts, be sure to bookmark the e3.gamespot.com. GameSpot will be revealing the future of gaming from June 1 through June 4.
E3 Member Spotlight: ehsan8888
While many of your blogs were great reads, ehsan8888 received the member spotlight for his tips about making this year's e3 even more enjoyable. Here is an excerpt from one of his tips.
"Visit the forums and participate with the community! Gamespot is a great website and they have taken their time year after year to give you good coverage of E3 and the least you can do is to just post a little online and give them you input. Just don't cause any arguments."
Pre-E3 Blog Highlights!
- Let the Hype Begin by canana
- E3 and me by icytower38
- E3 Predictions by jrabbit99
- E3 Fantasies by PJ24
- Excited for E3 (+more) by shadow9669
- E3 This Year by khoofia_pika
- Thoughts of E3 by Gammit10
- E3 2009 Predictions by xboxrulze
- E3 Anticipation by jediknight52501
- GameSpot Editors on E3 video by Shaun
- What are you excited for? by Sophia
- Expect to see something ridiculous this year? Jedi Squirrels?
- What is the E3 Schedule?
- Who will have the best E3 showing?
- Games you want to know about at E3 this year
- Is Gamespot going behind the scenes
- The biggest game character at this E3?
We'll see you on the show floor!
The Show Us Yours photo contest will be ending next week. Be sure to take those pictures and post them before this time.What's at stake? Eight video games for each winner! If you're wondering how it works, drop by this page.