Why does the USA always have to be portrayed as the good guys in these games?

#1 Posted by maxp84 (389 posts) -

the u.s. funds al qaida. openly. giving them weapons in syria.  the u.s. was arguably behind 9/11, oklahoma city, etc.   here is a more recent story.  the us government running guns into mexico and shipping drugs back. fast and furious.  a gun running scandal to blame the 2nd amendment.  (they don't want law abiding citizens to have guns, they are a threat to their power)  as someone who has served in the military and was extremely naive to think we were the good guys...im a sickened by how far we have fallen.  i guess it's because we used to be the good guys early on in history... during ww2 with liberating europe etc... but since the jfk assassination, the last real president who stood up for civil rights... we only have had a bunch of puppets controlled by banking oligarchs and corporations.  the shareholders of the federal reserve bank.  the only video game that had the balls to bring this up was the original deus ex and a little bit in the sequel.  (they kinda watered it down)

So I ask of the gaming community... Will we ever see a game depicting the usa as the bad guys??  im not saying russia, iran and china are any better.  they aren't.  they're worse.  we still have the ghost of the constitution to abide by. the constitution is my government.  i took an oath and still abide by it today.  any politician that undermines the constitution is an enemy to the state.  yes im talking about you obama you NDAA signing bastard... you too bush with the patriot act.

#2 Posted by TQ_NintyNoE (1671 posts) -

I don't really agree with this. I'm not American, I have no idea about your constitutions or whatever, but what I do know is that Call of Duty have portrayed the american side pretty accurately in terms of warfare.

You've got the Black Operations and illegal killings, torture for information, cold blooded murder, sabotage and more. Other games took them a step further, like having Shepherd as a bad guy, or having Joseph Allen join a team who massacre an airport to stay under cover.

What you really wanna think about is WHy is it necessary to show america in a negative light? It's not propaganda, it's about storytelling, and if the story involves america doing bad things, then well, it will or it won't.

What you've gotta remember is though tat people who make video games view democracy positively. It's far more likely to create a game based on history or experience. Places like North Korea, Russia and 3rd world countries are known for their brutality and corruption- not just on a "Oh, I've spent your taxes on a KitKat" level, but on a "We've got a secret facility in the 21st century where we force hard labour on families, experiment on them and murder them". Yes, I'm looking at you, North Korea, with your Camp 22.

And I also wouldn't say it's arguable the USA are responsible for 9/11. That's a whack conspiracy that mostly Americans believe because they want to hope that a large portion of countries don't hate them. They do.

#3 Posted by blastmaster2k2 (382 posts) -

No one wants to play as a guerrilla unit that gets slaughter by US troops. People want to play as the biggest most advanced military force in the world. However, don't forget COD used to let you play as different countries in the campaing before they switched from WW2 games.

#4 Posted by steelerman1 (655 posts) -

because we are

#5 Posted by maxp84 (389 posts) -

i was so naive like you back when i was 17-19....then after i got out of the navy i found out the truth.  take a look at architects and engineers for 9/11 truth.  we aren't the good guys. we are a divided nation.  we are half good.  half bad... most of us are the good guys. our leadership are the bad guys... like i was telling my friend.  one bad apple in a local police department can only do so much damage.  but one corrupt atf or dea agent.  they can do things you would only think are only possible in movies like scarface.

#6 Posted by steelerman1 (655 posts) -

if you don't like america..go somewhere else

#7 Posted by maxp84 (389 posts) -

no.  im staying because i want restoration for america.  we can turn this thing around and be the good guys again.  as long as we abide by the constitution and bill of rights!!! once we do that america will be prosperous again.  but sadly this country has been taken over by private mega bank and corporations... as well as foreign nations like china.  congress has a 90 percent disapproval rating for a reason.  they're all corrupt and bought off!!! it's like seeing a country you loved fall to evil.  im never leaving.  i am going down with the ship if i have to.  long live the u.s. constitution and bill of rights!!!!

#8 Posted by MakeMeaSammitch (4803 posts) -

a 9/11 conspiracy nut.

You're a fck1ng ret@rd. Nobody pay him any attention.

#9 Posted by Kelborn_Ordo (268 posts) -

first of all, cut the whole politics out of your posts. This is for black ops you conspiracy nut fool. Second, its sad that i really have to post this answer but its because the devs are Americans and the majority of people buying these games are also americans. Its simple marketing. Its not going to change.

#10 Posted by OmenUK (1268 posts) -

Why does the USA always have to be portrayed as the good guys in these games?

Because most of the game development and production is done in America and it is aimed mainly at an American audience which is why there has been less and less emphasis on other nations during recent games despite the fact they America relies on it's allies, which some (but not all) American's seem to forget in their fervour to act all patriotic.

Because this current generation is by-and-large ignorant of anything that happened before the last 20 years World War II, and soon Vietnam/Korea/Gulf War will be forgetten and games will instead be set on imaginary future conflicts which is a shame because with the current and next generation of console you would probably have a much better platform to re-tell the stories of earlier wars and to concentrate on larger theatres of war,

#11 Posted by Fruitymachete (71 posts) -

Let me tell you this. In WAR there are no good guys... If there isn't something good to salvage in a country , america won't intervene and just sit back...

#12 Posted by johnath (493 posts) -

I don't really agree with this. I'm not American, I have no idea about your constitutions or whatever, but what I do know is that Call of Duty have portrayed the american side pretty accurately in terms of warfare.

You've got the Black Operations and illegal killings, torture for information, cold blooded murder, sabotage and more. Other games took them a step further, like having Shepherd as a bad guy, or having Joseph Allen join a team who massacre an airport to stay under cover.

What you really wanna think about is WHy is it necessary to show america in a negative light? It's not propaganda, it's about storytelling, and if the story involves america doing bad things, then well, it will or it won't.

What you've gotta remember is though tat people who make video games view democracy positively. It's far more likely to create a game based on history or experience. Places like North Korea, Russia and 3rd world countries are known for their brutality and corruption- not just on a "Oh, I've spent your taxes on a KitKat" level, but on a "We've got a secret facility in the 21st century where we force hard labour on families, experiment on them and murder them". Yes, I'm looking at you, North Korea, with your Camp 22.

And I also wouldn't say it's arguable the USA are responsible for 9/11. That's a whack conspiracy that mostly Americans believe because they want to hope that a large portion of countries don't hate them. They do.

TQ_NintyNoE

The us is also known for its brutality and corruption, your point? Also i think its because it would not be recieved well by the american people. Assassina creed 3 for all the promos for the game only red coats were killed, they had trailers censored from blue coats being killed. Also the new rainbow six game in prod ution had american people attack their own country to rid of its corrupted society, anyone remember the trailer? There was abig outcry from that and the game since then has went under drastic change, simply put most americans cant and will not tolerate it esp with them being one of the biggest consumers of gaming

#13 Posted by yearssomuch (75 posts) -
Quite simply, the game is immensely popular with American audiences, and since this country is by far one of the WORST for blind, dumbfounded, patriotic retards, they have to pander to their audience. Most Americans believe that America is THE BEST, and that everywhere else on the planet might as well be a third world country dictated by communism (despite the fact that most Americans have no idea what communism actually IS). To glorify anywhere else, or worse, under-glorify America, is a big deal to most Americans, sadly. As for the rest of you writing off the OP as a 'conspiracy nut', shame on you. Quite disappointing to see how close-minded some people really are.
#14 Posted by Black_Hand_313 (804 posts) -
Quite simply, the game is immensely popular with American audiences, and since this country is by far one of the WORST for blind, dumbfounded, patriotic retards, they have to pander to their audience. Most Americans believe that America is THE BEST, and that everywhere else on the planet might as well be a third world country dictated by communism (despite the fact that most Americans have no idea what communism actually IS). To glorify anywhere else, or worse, under-glorify America, is a big deal to most Americans, sadly. As for the rest of you writing off the OP as a 'conspiracy nut', shame on you. Quite disappointing to see how close-minded some people really are.yearssomuch
Maybe you should reread your post before you judge people on closed-mindedness
#15 Posted by Black_Hand_313 (804 posts) -

[QUOTE="TQ_NintyNoE"]

johnath

The us is also known for its brutality and corruption, your point? Also i think its because it would not be recieved well by the american people. Assassina creed 3 for all the promos for the game only red coats were killed, they had trailers censored from blue coats being killed. Also the new rainbow six game in prod ution had american people attack their own country to rid of its corrupted society, anyone remember the trailer? There was abig outcry from that and the game since then has went under drastic change, simply put most americans cant and will not tolerate it esp with them being one of the biggest consumers of gaming

johnath your post reeks of ignorance. Connor massacres a group of blue coats at the end of the "Connor's Story" trailer. In another trailer he asks "they speak of freedom and justice...but for whom?" Connor is half-Native American, his village gets burned down at the beginning of the game by colonists...the promos did nothing to hide this fact. And for all the controversy, the game topped the charts in the UK because once people actually played it, they realized there was no real bias there. They released a DLC where you fight a tyrant King George Washington, for crying out loud. As for Rainbow Six Patriots, they did not change the game due to the "big" outcry...some people will always complain, but the outcry was relatively small. What they presented was merely a "vision" of the game, they still had a lot to work on in terms of the fundamental game. Splinter Cell Conviction and Ghost Recon Future Soldier both saw their original versions scrapped and redone after two year delays, and RS:P has had a similarly rough dev process. In Conviction you fight American PMCs and rogue agents trying to overthrow the President Please do some research next time.
#16 Posted by BabyPulpFiction (109 posts) -
It's a video game dude.....a VIDEO GAME.
#17 Posted by ad1x2 (5831 posts) -
Telling us you served in the military doesn't impress me or make your opinion more relevent. For all we know you could have got kicked out during your first six months of service for pissing hot for cocaine and then blamed your leadership for it. I've seen plenty of people who had no place in the military got in anyway because technically they were still eligible.

Fact of the matter is marketing is the reason like some other posters pointed out. Look at the new Red Dawn movie. The original plot had China as the invaders since the Soviet Union is gone. However, to ensure the movie sold in China the movie makers changed the villians to North Korea, a country we have an active trade embargo with.

as for all of that conspiracy stuff, while there were some things we did that we shouldn't be proud of saying 9/11 is an inside job destroys all credibility you had.
#18 Posted by yearssomuch (75 posts) -

[QUOTE="yearssomuch"]Quite simply, the game is immensely popular with American audiences, and since this country is by far one of the WORST for blind, dumbfounded, patriotic retards, they have to pander to their audience. Most Americans believe that America is THE BEST, and that everywhere else on the planet might as well be a third world country dictated by communism (despite the fact that most Americans have no idea what communism actually IS). To glorify anywhere else, or worse, under-glorify America, is a big deal to most Americans, sadly. As for the rest of you writing off the OP as a 'conspiracy nut', shame on you. Quite disappointing to see how close-minded some people really are.Black_Hand_313
Maybe you should reread your post before you judge people on closed-mindedness

What are you referring to, exactly? Do you disagree that most american's aren't patriotical to a point that it dictates how they live their lives?