Does KD Ratio matter to you?

#1 Posted by ghost_1919 (55 posts) -

Not to me lol I just play the game. But the campers make it not fun :( ur opinions??

#2 Posted by kiori6 (71 posts) -

C-4 

#3 Posted by 3kratos3 (674 posts) -

It is the universal tool bag measuring stick of skill in CoD unfortunately. Most the kids online would rather sit in the back ADSing and going 5-1 in a game, than going 35-25 with alot of tags collect or flags capped. The absolute worst thing about COD is the community. They shouldn't even show what your K/D is to alleviate the camping. Now they will swarm me and say I am saying this because I suck, but I don't. I have a very good Score Per Minute, which should be the only measuring stick out there because it shows your involvement in the game. 

#4 Posted by Cyrona3 (41 posts) -

I play Hardcore CTF so no, my K/D matters not to me

Tbh i'm happy if i finish a game 28-27 but for me its all about the POINTS

If I finish a game 0-15 but with 6 captures, thats a win for me =D

I hate CTF players who whine about my KD ratio when they have zero returns and zero captures

Cy

#5 Posted by 49ers160 (34 posts) -

Its annoyng when your playing and someone always points to the KD ratio to say their the better player. But as long as mine is on the plus side, I don't care for it

#6 Posted by Diminisher (1006 posts) -
Being I frequently have a wonderful game (montage worthy) and then a ridiculously bad game (also montage worthy) I hover around 1. K/D means nothing. I frequently have the most kills and deaths.
#7 Posted by Dman135 (70 posts) -

To me it does.  I prefer ranged encounters and choosing my spots wisely.  I would rather go 15-5 than 25-15.  This is just what is fun for me.  

P.S. I am not a camper.  The only time I will sit in one spot ADSing for more than a few seconds if if I know the enemy is about to run up on me.

#8 Posted by Dman135 (70 posts) -

Also would like to add that I mainly play TDM and I like playing with the mindstate that the team who dies least wins, not the team that kills most.  Pretty much every time my team loses there are a couple people at the bottom with less than .4 KDR.  The team that wins usually has pretty much everyone close to or above 1.0 KDR.

#9 Posted by Vraeth (1208 posts) -

Also would like to add that I mainly play TDM and I like playing with the mindstate that the team who dies least wins, not the team that kills most. Pretty much every time my team loses there are a couple people at the bottom with less than .4 KDR. The team that wins usually has pretty much everyone close to or above 1.0 KDR.

Dman135

It's true that K/D does matter in TDM, but in the end, since the score is limited, spread plays a far bigger role than straight up K/D--especially in BO2, where killstreaks aren't as frequent (as of yet) as in previous installments.

But yeah, it's better to have a guy on your team who goes 4-2 than 10-14.

I should also add that I have mixed feelings on stat tracking. It's neat to be able to look at it and see how you're doing overall (and now, since they've added weekly/monthly/etc. it's great to see how you've improved [or gotten worse].) On the other hand, it really has hurt the way that people play in games ever since it's been implemented as standard (I believe my first experience with it was with Return to Castle Wolfenstein on the original Xbox). Of course I'd run into isolated server stats in CS and DoD, but it doesn't generally cause people change the nature of the game.

Once stats became the norm, people genuinely changed the way that they played the game, because all of the sudden a new game wasn't a new slate--people obsessively worry about their e-rep now, and so a portion of players changed their entire style to K/S conservation instead of playing the game types properly. People like that have always existed, but it's certainly gotten significantly worse as scoreboards became default additions to games.

#10 Posted by alphatango1 (3778 posts) -

I think KD ratio is the most important factor.

As team play is very limited, ie no revives etc, there is no other yardstick to show skill level or game contribution. Obviously the KD encourages camping and I always see the same player hiding in their sweet spot (you know who you are) nursing their kill streaks. This game encourages and rewards such behaviour.

So unfortunately, KD is the most important factor due to the abscence of any other.

#11 Posted by sethschroeder (6 posts) -
Yes because aiming down your scope with cover has to be about KDR. Please *roll eyes* did you ever think holding down the alley or side field is just as important as meaninglessly running straight up the middle 25 times a game and getting killed 25 times? The thing I hate the most is the person in CTF or TDM that runs from one side of the map to the other. If the true act of this game is to win the match, yet KDR doesn't matter than team up, cover the field of view, and camp a portion of the map. You don't need to sit in one spot and never looking anywhere else but do you in TDM KDR is important, in capture the flag you need to get the flag but winning 1:0 is just as good as 3:2. I know this game is fasted paced but it doesn't mean you have to run from one side of the map to the other, strategy can rule the map. Why do most parties win and lone dog teams lose? Because the party is used to playing with each other and works together. The lone dog team will alot of times just run around like a chicken with its head cut off.
#12 Posted by Vraeth (1208 posts) -

Yes because aiming down your scope with cover has to be about KDR. Please *roll eyes* did you ever think holding down the alley or side field is just as important as meaninglessly running straight up the middle 25 times a game and getting killed 25 times? The thing I hate the most is the person in CTF or TDM that runs from one side of the map to the other. If the true act of this game is to win the match, yet KDR doesn't matter than team up, cover the field of view, and camp a portion of the map. You don't need to sit in one spot and never looking anywhere else but do you in TDM KDR is important, in capture the flag you need to get the flag but winning 1:0 is just as good as 3:2. I know this game is fasted paced but it doesn't mean you have to run from one side of the map to the other, strategy can rule the map. Why do most parties win and lone dog teams lose? Because the party is used to playing with each other and works together. The lone dog team will alot of times just run around like a chicken with its head cut off.sethschroeder

I don't think anyone would disagree that map control is important, especially in team modes. I think the major complaint is against "that guy" who sits in a low-lower/medium traffic obscure room ADSing at a door the entire game. I remember in Hanoi there was one room that was up a staircase that had a spot by some cabinets that was incredibly hard to kill the guy camping next to them, and often grenades wouldn't be able to hit them unless thrown at a fairly specific angle. Not a high traffic room, but the guy in there was an annoying tool nonetheless. That's more what people are talking about.

#13 Posted by ukcrazyguy (68 posts) -

Yes k/d ratio matters to me, I play mainly FFA. What annoys me the most isn't campers because after being killed once they can be dealt with or avoided, it's the ones that just run around the map constantly playing like you would on unreal tournament. I like to find a nice area, try to cover my back and take out anyone that comes near. if the room is full of campers then I enjoy hunting them down. All it is, is adapting to how the others are playing, if your getting owned change your tactics

#14 Posted by Vraeth (1208 posts) -

Yes k/d ratio matters to me, I play mainly FFA. What annoys me the most isn't campers because after being killed once they can be dealt with or avoided, it's the ones that just run around the map constantly playing like you would on unreal tournament. I like to find a nice area, try to cover my back and take out anyone that comes near. if the room is full of campers then I enjoy hunting them down. All it is, is adapting to how the others are playing, if your getting owned change your tactics

ukcrazyguy

Yeah, I think map control even in FFA is important. Often times in BO or CoD4 (didn't play FFA in MW2--Domination was my game there until tac nukes started winning 1/4-1/3 of the games) I'd find an L shaped corridor and attempt to keep it locked down by patrolling both ends of it (which, depending on the size of the map, often entailed sprinting to both ends with an SMG, or my favorite, duel SMGs). Obviously this doesn't work if everyone decides to just chill ADSing somewhere, but that's usually not the case in FFA.

#15 Posted by mastahwolf (171 posts) -
I care about KD mainly in TDM and FFA tbh, in Objective based modes I focus on the objective mostly, so when my team actually wins, I don't even care if I'm negative.
#16 Posted by Torino818 (149 posts) -

All that I care about is winning the match.  My K/D ratio is high a (almost 2.5) but my wins to losses is even higher (almost 5).  If I have a bad K/D ratio I don't care so long as my team won.

#17 Posted by AmnesiaHaze (5683 posts) -

not really , i have fun completing challenges and for that you sometimes have to sacrifice kd ratio, tryin to complete rpg triple kill and it doesnt help the kdr when running around with a rpg all the time trying to find a group of players :D

#18 Posted by rickie59 (166 posts) -

I do not really care about KDR in objective-based games. The win is most important for the team and I am a camper. I play the game as I would battle in real life.

#19 Posted by Vlorif (1 posts) -
haha eh oh el i tr1cksh0t 4 fun in th3 gam2 i r311y li3k it and kd is r3lly importnts to m3 becuz it makes up fer my insecutity ele!~~~~
#20 Posted by LilAznRiceBoi89 (1188 posts) -

KDR is important in any game type. Obviously it's more important in games where kills are the main focus (TDM, KC, etc). With that being said, you can still aim for a high KDR while going for objectives. I've always had decently high KDR in CoD games; 1.75 CoD4, 2.20 MW2, 2.35 Blops, 2.18 MW3, and I am hovering around 1.6 in Blops 2. My win percentage is typically around 60% and above in each respective game and I've played modes that range from TDM, Mercenary, Domination, and Headquarters. 

While I do think KDR is an important factor to CoD, you don't need to camp to do well. I tend to always have the highest score per minute on my friends list / lobby leaderboard and I mostly play Domination. I am constantly running around the map and protecting my team's flags as well as pushing the enemy into the corner. Yeah there are times when you need to lay down and aim down an alley or doorway but I don't think that wins games. 

You can also argue the guy getting all the killstreaks is pushing the team to victory. In MW2 or MW3 games where I got an AC-130 tended to end in victory. In Blops 2 if I call in 3+ UAV per game I see that as pushing my team closer to victory. I don't even run high killstreaks in Blops 2 because scorestreaks make it so hard to go high; I am currently running UAV, Counter-UAV, and Hellfire Missile. Everyone has a role. While I don't necessarily think the guy with the high KDR is the best, I would much rather take someone who doesn't die alot over the scrub at the bottom of the list who feeds the other team. Yeah you went for the flag every single life you had but you went 4-17? That is really going to help us win. Control the map, control the spawns, and CoD is a piece of cake. 

#21 Posted by Samslayer (1650 posts) -

I play TDM only. KDR is important to me simply because the higher KDR, the more I have helped my team. I typically see it as a measuring stick yes, but I usually care more about my W/L ratio. It is more fun to improve that over the span of the game than KDR, especially when I usually play in PUGs.

#22 Posted by Shawcross (1264 posts) -

Well as a whole in previous CoDs I only played TDM so to me k/d was important. Nowadays I really don't care too much about it. I guess with each new game the whole "stats are life" thing gets older and older.

One persons good stats may not mean they are better than another player with worse stats cause so many factors/varibles play a role in this game compared to others. 

#23 Posted by baseballstar9 (31 posts) -

I almost always play TDM and KDR is the biggest measure of how good a player is in my opinion.  However, you can't simply look at KDR to make your judgement.  I just bought Black Ops 2 but haven't played it yet but in MW3 my KDR is 1.78.  However, all I do is run around the entire time looking for people.  I'm just as likely to go 20-18 as I am to go 35-5. 

As soon as I enter the lobby, I check everyone's KDR.  I make a mental note of anyone over 2.0 and pay careful attention to how they play.  If they run around and win gunfights, they're pretty damn good and deserve the COD respect.  If they sit in a corner all match, their KDR is fake and it's not a true measure of their ability.

The other thing I notice is the fake KDR guys who camp all match will leave in the middle of the round as soon as your start owning them...further proving they're fake.

#24 Posted by NegasBlack (34 posts) -

Personally the K/D ratio is just about the only thing I look at. To me it's like this, what's the point of getting 20 kills in a round, if you die 30-40 times trying to get those kills. The only thing that shows, is how much you suck at playing the game. Keeping my K/D ratio above 1 and not resorting to the easiest way to get a kill to keep it that way is how I play.

#25 Posted by SemiMaster (19011 posts) -

I do not really care about KDR in objective-based games. The win is most important for the team and I am a camper. I play the game as I would battle in real life.

rickie59
This is absolutely true. I put my life on the line to get domination points all the time and my KDR goes down. Wouldn't that be cool to keep KDR separate for each type of match you are playing? But KDR does matter a lot in TDM. Sure, who cares if you camp, but the fact of the matter is if you have a KDR over 1, you are netting some benefit for your team on average, and that's essentially what matters. If you are usually a 10/7 player, you aren't doing stellar, but if your whole team is ranging in that type of ratio, then you are doing pretty good, since a team of 6 only requires each player to have 12 to 13 kills each. And as long as the average KDR of your team is over 1, then you win.
#26 Posted by mauldigger (6 posts) -

LOL!!! My k/d is currently 0.31 and has never, never been higher than 0.50 in ANY COD game I have played!! I'm that guy that shoots down every UAV, counter UAV, heli and anything else my launcher will target. I run around like a madman drawing fire so my teammates can located the other side. On a good day I am NOT in last place, normally I have like 3 kills to 20 deaths...lol. My internet connection sucks, my skills suck, but I don't know of anyone who has more FUN than I do!!

#27 Posted by joed8349 (6 posts) -

KD ratio should be a factor in what matters because if you get 1 kill and die 100 times you are still hurting your team's chances, no matter how many flags you capture or domination points you get. Giving the opposing team streak points by dying so many times can possibly lead to your team's loss. So I think that the best option is trying to maintain a KD of .75 or above, while you run around shooting down UAVs or aircrafts, and capturing flags, etc. I usually have a KD between 1.5-2.0, but I don't camp because it would be like playing S&D which is terrible and a waste of time. I play to win.

#28 Posted by mauldigger (6 posts) -
My being 52 years of age has a lot to do with my skills. You may find out one day.
#29 Posted by DemonFox75 (408 posts) -

It does but it doesnt. I dont live and breath by my k/d but if I just keep dying over and over its not fun. I think its a balance but different strokes for different folks. You have fun how you have fun I guess.