With all of the WWII shooters on the market, this one truly shines!

User Rating: 8.5 | Brothers In Arms: Hell's Highway X360
There certainly hasn't been a shortage of World War II first-person shooters on the market. The Call of Duty and Medal of Honor games are considered by many to be the "best-in-class" of the genre, but neither show the emotional side of war that the Brothers in Arms games portray in dramatic fashion. The latest in the series, Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway, is no exception.

I suspect many gamers have grown tired of World War II shooters (as exemplified by the general feedback on the recently released Call of Duty: World at War). However, if you've never played a BIA game, don't write this off as another simplistic military shooter. Like the other games in the series, BIA:HH gives you a small squad of lifelike soldiers to command. Although I felt that the friendly AI in the earlier BIA games was a bit smarter, my squad still behaved very realistically in battle. When a solid command is issued, they execute the order with deadly precision. But if a command seems suicidal or you're slow in issuing any orders at all, the team will actually come down on you and almost question your leadership skills. By the middle fo the game, I found myself listening to their opinions and almost taking it to heart (although their chatter will become pretty repetitive by the end of the game). Few games encourage this level of interaction with your AI controlled teammates. If even ONE of your teammates is killed in battle, you will be tempted to restart the mission from the beginning just to save his life! Thankfully, downed teammates are revived at each checkpoint you reach.

The sound in the game is also quite amazing. If you play with a good surround sound system, you'll feel like you're in a scene of Saving Private Ryan as bullets whiz by your ears and shells explode around you. The outstanding sound design in BIA:HH help make the firefights some of the most memorable in gaming!

If the COD and MOH games are like the "big budget action movies" of WWII shooters, then BIA:HH can almost be considered the award-winning documentary. It offers a harsh look at the "ugly" side of war and provides a feeling of realism that you'd be hard-pressed to find in other first-person shooters.