Not your typical FPS, but a breath of fresh air... If you're in to that sort of thing.

User Rating: 8.5 | Brink X360
Before beginning my review, I will say that I am partially biased to this game. I have been looking forward to it since I saw the first screens of the game, and literally I was maybe more excited for this release than any other game this entire year. I was at Wal-Mart at Midnight to pick this up so I could begin it instantly. Now... On to the review.

Brink is clearly set, as the game itself says, "in a dystopian future." You play as either the Resistance or Security, both vying for superiority in The Ark.

The most interesting thing about this game is the way it is constructed. Every mission, whether you're playing the online multiplayer or even the campaign, is objective based. You either have attack or defend objectives, based on which side you may currently be playing as. It consistently flips back and forth. At first, it really caught me off guard. I was expecting the campaign to be... Well, a campaign. But it's not. It's basically the online multiplayer levels, but instead of playing with people, it's all with bots. Brink is also entirely class based. You will either play as a soldier, medic, engineer, or operative. Every class has their strengths and weaknesses, and these are highlighted the more you play with the differing abilities that you can unlock as you progress through the story. I like the class system a lot, it reminds me of BFBC2. However, the only thing I don't like about the class system is that it could have used a little more differentiation. I would have liked to see gun restrictions based on class, or something along those lines.

The campaign is quite frankly a little lackluster. There is no real story to the campaign. I mean.. there is, but there isn't. Those expecting to pick up Brink and experience a CoD, GoW, or BF like campaign are going to be sorely disappointed. And even though I wasn't disappointed by the campaign, I also wasn't blown away. To me, this is the game's biggest flaw.

The actual gameplay is difficult to adapt to at first. With all of the different controls and selection of objectives, it's a little overwhelming at first. It took me roughly... an hour and a half to become completely comfortable with what I was doing. But the gameplay is also the highlight of Brink, with the heavy influence that is given to Parkour. Brink's movement system is completely free-flowing. No more waiting to fire your gun while climbing those barrels, fire away. And you can go almost anywhere. Climb walls, barrels, crates, grates... Everything in the world is interactive and it's great. Brink's movement system is also very intuitive. If you misjudge something a little bit, Brink isn't going to penalize you and make you try to do it over and over again. Running around and going nuts on your surroundings is pretty fun.

Where I feel Brink really excels is its presentation. I love the art design of Brink. But I feel that it isn't going to appeal to everyone. It's very different and unique, but it probably also isn't for everyone. Again, I enjoy it. The audio tracks that Brink uses are also very nice. The game sounds great, and it's really enjoyable to throw on that $90 headset you bought and enjoy what Brink has to offer. The presentation of the game also lends itself to the vast character customization that you can take advantage of. From your tattoos, facepaint, and headgear down to your undershirt, jacket, and pants, you can select everything on your character, and most of the time customize the color palette. The other nice feature is that you can develop two different outfits, one for the Resistance and one for Security. Visually... Brink is stunning.

To me, Brink is a great game. If I was going to describe it, I would say it's a nice mix of Team Fortress 2 and BFBC2, with a few RPG elements thrown in. Brink is in no way going to be for everyone. I would say the diehard CoD fans won't enjoy this game, because it's different from anything that's ever been seen in the FPS genre. That's why I like Brink so much. It's a breath of fresh air to what in my mind has been a stale staple of the gaming industry. Brink does lack a true campaign which is why I'm ranking it an 8.5 and not any higher. I definitely would recommend renting Brink first if you have any reservations, but if you're like me and have been really looking forward to this game, you won't be disappointed.