I'll complete the story then trade it in (Why inside)

#1 Posted by DavidJF (632 posts) -

I just don't feel engaged with the story. It's an incredibly simple story and the game isn't really story driven. I think these days it's just the players incentive to play for the next rank you know? I mean with all the unlockables and abilites people will play countless play throughs just for the sake of ranking up.

I do like the GUI, and the enviroment design of the sanctuary. The level layouts are pretty much repetetive, and by that I mean the levels are split into small parts, and these parts can just be rearanged to build countless caves, strongholds etc. Every now and then I feel I've been here and done that.

This is quite a pointless post, just sharing my feelings on what was quite a dissappointing, and really hyped up game.

#2 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
"I just don't feel engaged with the story. It's an incredibly simple story and the game isn't really story driven. I think these days it's just the players incentive to play for the next rank you know?" These days? When were things any different. Back in the NES days you had Super Mario Bros, it had pretty much no story and you spent the time trying to collect coins and get a higher score. Then came the SNES days and you had games like Super Metroid that had pretty much no story and you just went from area to area looking for the next armor or weapon upgrade. Playstation Twisted Metal had no story and you just drove around trying to beat everyone else in wicked car combat. PS2 Ratchet and Clank weak story collect stuff use fun weapons etc. Every single generation has had some games that are heavy story driven and others that are just pure fun. It has nothing to do with this gen, its something that has sorta always been (although in the early days there were no story driven games all games were simply for score like pacman,. pong, tank wars etc.)
#3 Posted by rave50000 (399 posts) -
You should've just rented it instead of buying it, gamestop loves to thrive on people like you but i agree, the story for borderlands 2 seems a bit bland.
#4 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
At least the story in this one is better than the first.
#7 Posted by pirul83 (236 posts) -

I think that no-one plays borderlands becouse of the story... like some reviewer said, borderlands its actually DIABLO with guns... it's about the loot and the 4 player co-op mayhem, and that i think it's where borderlands 2 totally improves upon its predecessor... I remember that while playing the first borderlands i didn't want to play co-op becouse i didn't want to miss the story... well, the story was rubbish... and when i finally got out of my shell and started getting into online co-op games, thats where this game totally shines... if you want story driven games... i suggest you try something else...

#8 Posted by Matrix (1455 posts) -
My solution: wait until it's on sale for dirt cheap on Steam and then buy it. I seriously never buy games at full price anymore unless I know I'll get my money's worth and replay it. I'm a PC gamer obviously...
#9 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
My solution: wait until it's on sale for dirt cheap on Steam and then buy it. I seriously never buy games at full price anymore unless I know I'll get my money's worth and replay it. I'm a PC gamer obviously...Matrix
Yeah I don't buy too many games full priced anymore. Borderlands for me is worth it cause me and my friends all like it and its one of the few good coop games out there. Sure there are others that have Horde modes, but not to many where you play the whole game coop.
#10 Posted by Justinps2hero (2181 posts) -
I liked the short but sweet intro in the first game, you knew what you were there for, no cut scenes, just get out into the waste lands & find some loot & kill the next bad guy. I much preferred that than some pretentious trying too hard wannabe game. Thought gearbox nailed it.
#11 Posted by mrsniper83 (1552 posts) -
I don't know what you mean by the levels seem to be the same....for the most part all of them are different.Yeah the story is bland and you can tell whats going on early on but its all about the guns and loot.Im not gonna trade it in until they start pouring out the dlc for this game like the first one.
#12 Posted by mrsniper83 (1552 posts) -
None of the levels are the same in this game, i think we are playing different games.....Im not gonna trade this game in until they pour out the DLC like the first game.
#13 Posted by Leeric420 (54 posts) -

I just don't feel engaged with the story. It's an incredibly simple story and the game isn't really story driven. I think these days it's just the players incentive to play for the next rank you know? I mean with all the unlockables and abilites people will play countless play throughs just for the sake of ranking up.

I do like the GUI, and the enviroment design of the sanctuary. The level layouts are pretty much repetetive, and by that I mean the levels are split into small parts, and these parts can just be rearanged to build countless caves, strongholds etc. Every now and then I feel I've been here and done that.

This is quite a pointless post, just sharing my feelings on what was quite a dissappointing, and really hyped up game.

DavidJF

Clearly you didnt play the first borderlands. Especially if you think this story is bad. The levels are all different, this isnt skyrim itsnot trying to build seemless enviroments. Ever played final fantasy? or Fable? Saying a game is bad because you have to load into different sections of a free roam map is dumb, especially since this game is far larger than those game with seamless worlds.

#14 Posted by CheapScotch (10 posts) -

Story??????  

No ARPG should have any story.  If anything, story is a bonus.  Levels, Loot, and the Grind are why you pick up ANY ARPG.  In this case, 'A'="FPS.'

You want a great story? Go see Hobo with a Shotgun.  Or better yet; Trollhunter. that's right up your alley.

Bet game ever.  Shut up CoD fans.  

#15 Posted by xsxexvxexnx (379 posts) -

Hobo With A Shotgun is an amazing movie!

#16 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -

Hobo With A Shotgun is an amazing movie!

xsxexvxexnx
Part of it was filmed on my street here in Halifax Nova Scotia, I think most of the movie was filmed here I recognize the bridge in the movie as the bridge connecting Halifax from Dartmouth.