As bad as Duke Nukem Forever.

• 54 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by vunacar (694 posts) -

Only with a good loot system. It has nothing else going for it.

#2 Posted by link108 (417 posts) -

I hope you get eaten by a skag.

#3 Posted by bishnickee (41 posts) -

Troll ( cough ) Troll ( cough) D-Bag ( cough)

#4 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
Can anybody understand what the OP said, I can't speak or read troll.
#5 Posted by mrsniper83 (1552 posts) -
Dude you have to be kidding, this is probably the best game i have played this year....damn troll, go play COD
#6 Posted by Gankstar_VX84 (106 posts) -
I gotta agree, it looks painfully bad. I don't understand why anyone would actually spend years of their life actually making a game this bad. pff, guess I'll go play witcher 2 again, or something till FC3 is out.
#7 Posted by TurtleSh3lls (74 posts) -

Are these people serious? Or.. have I fallen into some kind of parallel universe?

#8 Posted by SRCLIFF (269 posts) -

Hard to refute his claim since no one played DNF!

#9 Posted by magtanos (25 posts) -

Borderlands 2 a bad game? like other people says this is the best game for this year for me i don't know what was you expecting

#10 Posted by Zaral_1 (186 posts) -
You guys who hate this need to see a doctor
#11 Posted by vunacar (694 posts) -

How is this a best game in years? What is it soo good in it? OMGZ THE LOOT!!! Thats it. There is no standout feature exept that. It doesn't take itself to seriously, and has a few good jokes here and there, but nothing special. Shooting is subpar at best. Animations are clunky. Story is completely uninteresting and shoved in alogside a shootfest. Game balance is all over the place.

Only the most easily exited loot whores would consider this the best game in years.

#12 Posted by Lyrebon (979 posts) -

How is this a best game in years? What is it soo good in it? OMGZ THE LOOT!!! Thats it. There is no standout feature exept that. It doesn't take itself to seriously, and has a few good jokes here and there, but nothing special. Shooting is subpar at best. Animations are clunky. Story is completely uninteresting and shoved in alogside a shootfest. Game balance is all over the place.

Only the most easily exited loot whores would consider this the best game in years.

vunacar

If you actually read their posts you'd see they said, "this year"; I'm inclined to concur that, except for Guild Wars 2, this is one of the better games released this year so far.

It's not meant to take itself seriously, it's in the style of an animated comical graphic novel - the graphics and animation give that away or did you miss that too? It's done in a similar fashion to Batman: Arkhum Asylum that went for a more comic book feel to it too.

The rest is a matter of opinion. I enjoy gunslinging space Westerns where I'm not overly concerned about the plot as I am about the action. But to say the game balance is all over the place is ridiculous. From the first game the skill trees have gotten so much more balanced and useful. There are many varieties of builds for each character I'm still struggling to decide how I want my Maya.

You say it's a bad game, OK, well hundreds of reviewers that have contributed to its 8.5/10 rating and hundreds of thousands of satisfied customers, as well as the fine few in this thread, respectfully disagree. You don't like Borderlands 2? The significant masses that do, don't care :)

#13 Posted by Zaral_1 (186 posts) -

vunacar
I'm not a loot whore, but I haven't had this much fun playing with my friends playing co-op in a long time. Enemies are challenging, guns are silly and cool and it just feels awesome. Not sure how to explain it, but if this game to you sucks as much as duke nukem, i feel bad and sorry for you. Try playing call of duty
#14 Posted by Mnrube23 (25 posts) -
Im guessing that troll guy/gals have no friends and thats why they are having no fun with the game...Plus no team death match(NOOOO not that how can i game be good with out that) But with that said plz "go back to playing call of duty" and enjoy the trolling.. plz feel free to bash this message wont be back to see how much life you wasted on pointless bashing. TY&GD!
#15 Posted by Hanzoadam (6576 posts) -

I hope you get eaten by a skag.

link108

I agree

#16 Posted by vunacar (694 posts) -

How am I a troll? I am actively playing the game. I just don't like the game or find it interesting. Does that fact solely make me a troll? This is a board for players of Borderlands 2, which I am, mind you.

If you don't have any arguments to defend the points I am bringing out other than "go back to CoD", (which somehow presumes I even play CoD which I don't ever since CoD 4), then you really need to evaluate your reasoning for blindly defending your purchase.

#17 Posted by Khan933 (377 posts) -

You're entitled to your opinon ot, now stop trying to pass it as fact.

#18 Posted by Flaon (38 posts) -

wow i can see how people can dislike this game but saying its as bad a duke nuken forever is going a bit far, duke nuken took much longer to make and failed in the ass, this game not so much and it is by no means perfect but its a lot better than most of the trash companies release these days, combat is a little clunky and trying to critical some enemies isnt possible not to mention the shotguns are **** and so are the assault rifles, i guess 2K are trying to be different because usually those to guns are op in every other game but theres nothing wrong ith that, loot is great but it would be nice if you had more room for stuff without having to purchase it with a rare gem collection, reloading is a pain and the game seems quite difficult unless your doing co-op because I know i never would have made it as far as i did without it, boardlands 2 is above average but has some bad flaws that make it painfull at times but what game these days doesnt right?

not everyone has to love this game and if they dont then dont flame them, just say not as good as it shoud be or dont believe the hype instead of comparing it to a game that ruined expectations everywhere, also dont get mad that peopel call you a troll because your opening post was so troll like people would assume you live under a bridge.

#19 Posted by Cloud-Zehro (918 posts) -

How am I a troll? I am actively playing the game. I just don't like the game or find it interesting. Does that fact solely make me a troll? This is a board for players of Borderlands 2, which I am, mind you.

If you don't have any arguments to defend the points I am bringing out other than "go back to CoD", (which somehow presumes I even play CoD which I don't ever since CoD 4), then you really need to evaluate your reasoning for blindly defending your purchase.

vunacar

It's not the fact that we can't find any good reasons to defend the game that we love. (Mind you, there are plenty.) We're simply trying to wrap out brains around the stupidity that is Vunacar, I mean...

Really, are you SURE you're playing Borderlands 2, are you POSITIVE that's what you picked up and had in your hands, cause I for one can't believe it....

I'm astounded, baffled!!!

You sir, have bamboozled me with your comparison as well...

#20 Posted by MikeMoose (3075 posts) -

This game is amazing. You're lame.

#21 Posted by Senor_Kami (8447 posts) -

Never played Duke Forever, but the dialog is probably just as bad.  I'm renting this at $2 a day and it's great for that, but the dialog is crap, the story is forgettable, the leveling system is level capped ridiculously early (it's capped at 50 but you'd need like 100 to come close to filling out two out of three skill trees), skill leveling is crazy slow (you gotta get the same thing 5 times to move on to a new skill).

The good things are that the shooting is fun, the loot is good, and you can level up even if it's borked.  This is essentially a free-to-play game (good shooting, decent leveling, crap everything else) that they charge $60 for.

#22 Posted by vunacar (694 posts) -

[QUOTE="vunacar"]

Cloud-Zehro

It's not the fact that we can't find any good reasons to defend the game that we love. (Mind you, there are plenty.) We're simply trying to wrap out brains around the stupidity that is Vunacar, I mean...

Really, are you SURE you're playing Borderlands 2, are you POSITIVE that's what you picked up and had in your hands, cause I for one can't believe it....

I'm astounded, baffled!!!

You sir, have bamboozled me with your comparison as well...

I cannot believe that an butthurt asswipes such as yourself inhabit this planet, but hey, there you are, real and refreshing as a pile of pig crap in the morning.

You also proved me right and avoided mentioning what exactly makes this game so great, except the loot system, I am still waiting.

You cannot believe that someone doesn't like this game? What are you, 6 years old? Is this the first game you ever played in your life? Did you play in a sandpit until this game came out? Give me a break.

#23 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
my answer is simple, what makes this game so great is I have fun playing it.
#24 Posted by Lyrebon (979 posts) -

If you don't have any arguments to defend the points I am bringing out other than "go back to CoD", (which somehow presumes I even play CoD which I don't ever since CoD 4), then you really need to evaluate your reasoning for blindly defending your purchase.vunacar

You posted this in a board full of people who enjoy this game, what were you expecting? Agreement? Applause? You failed at getting people to concur with your sentiments so just move on.

Never played Duke Forever, but the dialog is probably just as bad. I'm renting this at $2 a day and it's great for that, but the dialog is crap, the story is forgettable, the leveling system is level capped ridiculously early (it's capped at 50 but you'd need like 100 to come close to filling out two out of three skill trees), skill leveling is crazy slow (you gotta get the same thing 5 times to move on to a new skill).

The good things are that the shooting is fun, the loot is good, and you can level up even if it's borked. This is essentially a free-to-play game (good shooting, decent leveling, crap everything else) that they charge $60 for.Senor_Kami

The whole point of the level cap is so youdon'tmax out your character into a roundhouse wall of death and magnificence. Most RPG's have the same mechanics where you have to plan ahead how you want the character built, and I honestly like it a lot more than being able to fully upgrade your character into a jack-of-all-trades - infact I hate that mechanic in RPG's. There are multiple builds for each character that depend on how you play the game. I solo mostly so my Maya is a Cataclysm with Restoration and Res in Harmony for co-op, and maybe 5-7 points in Motion when I get round to it.

I can heal and revive remotely, but I can also deal some scary damage and I use a sniper rifle with elemental damage which helps my team as much as keeping them alive with Restoration does.

I cannot believe that an butthurt asswipes such as yourself inhabit this planet, but hey, there you are, real and refreshing as a pile of pig crap in the morning.

You also proved me right and avoided mentioning what exactly makes this game so great, except the loot system, I am still waiting.

You cannot believe that someone doesn't like this game? What are you, 6 years old? Is this the first game you ever played in your life? Did you play in a sandpit until this game came out? Give me a break.vunacar

People have already described why they enjoy the game other than for the loot. If you didn't catch them I'll list the reasons I love it:

-Great character design.

-Good dialogue.

-An absolutely awesome villain (Handsome Jack).

-Challenging combat.

-Refined co-op that toughens enemies for the more people in a party. The whole co-op aspect as a whole is just fantastic when you find the right people to play with, and I've only ever kicked one person for being a douche.

-The variety of weapons who's stats change (you'd get different guns and equipment each playthrough and everyone else might receive different loot from the same location in solo, making the Trade system much more effective and necessary).

->50 hours of gameplay per playthrough with side-missions I didn't think weretoorepetative (they each had their own charm, their individuality). What other FPS can boast that? Most FPS's I've played can be completed in <10 hours which doesn't justify the £40 price tag in my opinion when they have no multiplayer or one not worth giving a second glance (ie. any Splinter Cell game).

Climb down from your ivory tower and just accept that nobody agrees with you. Borderlands 2 is a magnificent game; Duke Nukem wasn't. My opinion? Yes. It's truly great that you have a penis but don't wave it around in public and shove it down people's throats. Also, juvenile insults are at best retained by those too timorous to compete at an intellectual level.

#25 Posted by CheapScotch (25 posts) -

I played the 1st one for 2 years, and only stopped for SKYRIM.  

You, are clearly a Duty Head.  

Troll.

#26 Posted by vunacar (694 posts) -

I want to congratulate Lyrebon for being the first person who agreed to a discussion, I appreciate that. Now to the points at hand:

-Great character design

Ok, it might be great, it certainly isn't bad, I thought it was ok, but that is just semantics.

-Good dialogue

This is where I partially disagree. Some dialogue was good (Handsome Jack) other fell flat and felt it was indended for 6 year olds (Claptrap).

-An absolutely awesome villain (Handsome Jack)

He was good, no doubt. His chaotic behaviour often reminded me of Joker, but hey, if you are gonna steal, steal from the best, right?

-Challenging combat

Interesting choice of words there, instead of "Good combat system" or "Good gameplay", you decided to use "Challenging combat", but that I will leave for later, lets adress this first. While it is true the combat is challenging, it mostly comes down to being unlucky with weapon drops for a while, but when you get an appropriate level weapon drop, the game becomes too easy. I got an orange assault rifle that launched explosive rockets that left bombs behind when they explode. The game was on super easy mode for 6-7 levels until the weapon became obsolete. So the combat is actually all over the place in terms of balance.

-Refined co-op that toughens enemies for the more people in a party

I disagree completely. Enemies are just added additional health and that is it, and turns them into bullet sponges. They do not have better AI, more powerful weapons or abilities, or come in greater numbers. Just adding health is very cheap way of dealing with co-op, and almost all better games have done this aspect better.

-The variety of weapons who's stats change

As I have said, this is the trademark of the game and the only reason for it's popularity. And yes, it does it well.

50 hours of gameplay per playthrough with side-missions I didn't think weretoorepetative

First lets say this, while this game might be a shooter, and it is in first person, it is hardly an FPS. Everything, from leveling character, stats on items, quest system, loot, persistent map, is made with RPG ideals. This is an RPG, that just happens to have guns instead of swords and axes. Is Fallout 3 an FPS? Of course not. It is an RPG.

So you cannot compare its lenght time with FPS games, but instead with RPG's, and also beacuse all FPS games have some form of multiplayer involved, and to most is a primary selling point. (Splinter Cell is a third person stealth game).

Now, lets talk a bit about the games bad sides, instead of just "good" ones:

Terribly repetitive shooting is the biggest pain of the game, the core shooting is "done that, seen better" (hell, even the mentioned Duke Nukem arguably has done the better job) and add to that most enemies take loads of ammo to kill, and floating numbers and words on screen and you got yourself a 50 hours of yawning shootfest.

Balance is all over the place due to it being reliant on good gun drops.

Bosses, or should I say, slightly bigger and stroger ordinary enemies with no special abilities in most cases.

Insignificant difference between classes with only one active ability is poor for an RPG.

Lack of loot system is just terrible for a heavily loot inspired game like this, and pick up groups are a raging nightmare beacause of this. It turns into who can pick up most weapons the fastest in shortest amout of time. You might say "play with friends" but you cannot always organise with friends to play at your convenience, and is not a solution to a terrible oversight by the developers.

I've got a loads more points, but I don't wanna overload the screen with words.

#27 Posted by tezz_oj (25 posts) -

Trying not to feed the troll.... so hard....fook it.

WTF ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT THIS GAME IS FREEEAAKKING AWESOME..

if it is serious you must be realy butt hurt paying for a game you hate but learn fro mthis experience young one don't come onto the boards passing opinion as fact and whinging gibberish.. it makes you look very bitter and twisted friend

#28 Posted by SweetPandaLove (1855 posts) -

my answer is simple, what makes this game so great is I have fun playing it.stan_boyd

^ this.  I love the game.  Only reason I need to enjoy it.  If you don't, I'm sorry, then the game isn't for you.

#29 Posted by Lyrebon (979 posts) -

Borderlands 2 is predominantly an FPS over an RPG. Sure, you have a level system and skills but there's no intimate relationship with these perks that you find in true RPG's - perks and skills like agility, strength, and weapon sets. Oh, you have ways of making your character deal more bullet damage, improving accuracy, etc., but that's a finite control. And I think Gearbox wanted to develop it that way, so that you spend less time perusing your stats and planning ahead like I do with Skyrim and more time shooting the crap out of things.

Borderlands has all the components and feel of an FPS, so why shouldn't you classify it as the sum of its constituents? It is a first-person shooter with RPG elements. Whereas Fallout is an RPG with first-person shooter elements. There are huge differences between the games in appearance, style, and game mechanics.

I actually like the random weapon drops. I have some pretty cool gear but I've also noticed the stats seem to level up with you, so even common (white) drops can be pretty powerful. You just have to find the right combination, something I'm constantly re-organizing. The balance is fine. You won't be able to take on enemies, for instance, even with the best gun in the game if you're seriously out-ranked. Scoring critical hits is just a process of getting headshots, which is why I would call it challenging.

Also, you say insignificant differences between classes but this is what makes it not so much an RPG as an FPS. A true RPG twists class structures around many unique traits; magic users can use magic while others can't, and others can wield bows better than two-handed swords. Borderlands has similar qualities in that several skills improve their unique ability, but it's not as versatile enough to be considered limitless within the confines of the game. You can't build an elementalist mage over a healer, or a tank over a DPS damager.

#30 Posted by Superman5588 (472 posts) -

Did you play the first Borderlands?  I can't imagine anyone who has played and liked Borderlands and not like Borderlands 2.  It's the Arkham City of this franchise.  It improves on everything.  The only explanation I can think of is you never played the first one going into this game.

Any fan of BL should like BL2.  The loot system is great.  The voice acting is great.  The dialogue, the characters.  The story's not really meant to be taken seriously, and I like that.  It's a fun alternative to other games.  Clunky animations?  I can't say I agree there.  The reload animations can be ridiculously fast if you've built your character a certain way, but I find that funny and it adds to the hyper-realistic feel.

Only explanation I can think of: You never played the first game.  Because I'd be hard-pressed to find someone who liked the first but didn't like this one.

#31 Posted by allboutkiln (508 posts) -

Attention seeker!

#32 Posted by SythisTaru (584 posts) -

He gave Dark Souls as 1.5, and Shadow of the Colossus a 2.0. Opinion is no longer valid. 

#33 Posted by LtlDuDe346 (1354 posts) -

I really hope you didn't buy this game if you think it's that bad....  I mean it's like the first one, but only bigger and better. So you're a moron if you bought this without playing the first one.

#34 Posted by LtlDuDe346 (1354 posts) -

and a first person shooter is any game that has "shooting" and is in "first person".  There is no other definition lol, so yes Borderlands is in fact a FPS. How on earth could you try to argue that it is hardly a FPS? lol. Done and done

#35 Posted by MockingjayY (25 posts) -
OK I am always up for a discussion so let me attempt to counteract Valuncar's (forgive me if I forgot his name) earlier points. Design- you said it was ok and that is reasonable but I for one like it because it is clear they put a lot of love into making this 3D almost cartoon like while maintaining a sleek shooter image. If it had battlefield graphics , which are stunning, it would just be out of whack. Dialogue- I will talk less about jack here and more about the claptrap comment. He is very erratic which would appeal to a six year old but he is funny because his lines deliver lines at make him seem depressed and portray a certain hopelessness but always delivers these in a happy tone and this is not the only appeal as the lines may show some hopelessness but are phrased in a funny way and are not always so hopeless I wish I could phrase it better but maybe one of my fellow commenters could elaborate a bit more. Handsome Jack - You claimed that they stole from the best but him and joker are only similar in the way that they joke and laugh as they commit their evils. Joker is a completely off the wall carefree and callous villain who does these deeds for no reason other than the fun of it. Handsome jack wants power control and money rather than a murderous pastime. If you play far enough you will find out that he has the ability to care for someone and I will not mention more about this due to spoilers. He also has completely different lines as joker is always psychotic then says something thought provoking lol but jack here is cynical and sarcastic always trying to poke and prod at the main character with an occasional threat. Balance - A strong gun will do you a lot of good In a fight but as you progress things get much more well rounded and difficult but in no way impossible as games should be. Not satisfied with your current difficulty? True Vault Hunter mode shall show you the way lol Co-op - I also don't like the bullet sponge effect but it gets the job done at the very least and the AI is upgraded in new game+ (true vault hunter mode) so you don't have to worry about that. Variety of weapons and loot - You said it did this well and it does it extraordinarily well but you must admit saying it is the ONLY reason for its popularity is just asking for rough responses after these players have been pouring out on the Internet about their love for this game. I love it myself and for many other reasons I will discuss without hesitation if you need further proof though there is plenty of it in this very thread. FPS or RPG argument- it is a shooter in first person so by definition is an FPS and an RPG because it is considered to be a role playing game but let me dip a bit further into that. FPS games don't have to have a multiplayer and some really shouldn't but have one anyway because of an annoying publisher. Ex. Spec ops: the line it is first and foremost a fps though because it has rpg elements and a world but it is focused on keeping you shooting and blowing things up almost all the time. You listed elements but we need to look at things in a big picture sort of way to make a final decision on genre. Shooting - I don't see how it's just ok. Gun fights are intense and lively and most enemies do not take loads of ammo unless it is a super badass and four people are present. Bosses - Can't argue with you there man I didn't like the bosses as much but there really werent too many and they didn't take too long but were useful plot devices and got you in the moment so how much would it really detract from the overall game and experience? Shared Loot - I wasn't a complete fan of this either but im a level 50 and play online very often but have only met exactly 3 people who tried snatching loot off the wall. As for friends at least add some well mannered people you met online as your sure too come across at least a couple and make a group with them or find enough ppl so at least one is online. Hell play single player.
#36 Posted by vunacar (694 posts) -

He gave Dark Souls as 1.5, and Shadow of the Colossus a 2.0. Opinion is no longer valid. 

SythisTaru

If you are going to quote me at least do it well.

I gave PC version of Dark Souls 1.0 because the game was completely unplayable on my PC and they refused to fix it.

I didn't give Shadow of Colossus 2.0, I gave it 7.0. I found the ending slightly disappointing to an overall good game.

How can you fail so bad at remembering things for 5 seconds?

#38 Posted by alphatango1 (3778 posts) -

So I take it from the OP's title that he has actually played DNF?

If you have, why? No self respecting gamer would waste their time on it.

#39 Posted by eridian00 (92 posts) -
How is this in any way a bad game? you can blow off limbs on certain enemies like the robots to slow them down and cripple them. i found a shotgun that when i reload it, i throw it and it chases enemies while shooting at them, this alone makes this game awesome lol the A.I. is pretty smart at times, i had a time when i went into second wind mode and the enemy that killed me went around a corner out of sight lol. other times they will actually flank you if you give them the chance. the story was pretty good, considering it wasnt the main focus that the game was going for. the dialog was good as well, dark humor on top of cartoony fun. and the animation is nice as well, i love the comic book style they go for. co-op is awesome when playing with friends, me and my friends have a blast just going around killing **** one time we had to face off against an ultimate badass varkid that totally **** us, but after a while we finally took down, got **** loot but its defeat felt satisfying. there are only a few issues in the game for me and they are not even close to making it a bad game.
#40 Posted by stan_boyd (4923 posts) -
While this game is not for everyone just like any other game this game is definitely not on the same level as Duke Nukem. This game is actually well made. Sure you may not like it but it is a good game. I hate Dark Souls, but I wouldn't say its as crappy as Duke because Dark Souls is a well made game its just not something that I like. I hate metal, but I wouldn't say that metal bands have no talent and compare them to crap to William Hung. If you don't like the game thats cool, but its not a **** like Duke was, which was a shame cause I preordered Duke and had been looking forward to it for 14 years or so.
#41 Posted by The-Big-Dirty (25 posts) -

There was a new Duke Nukem game?

#42 Posted by Diamondsoulz (136 posts) -

Borderlands is game of the year no questions asked

8.5 on this site doesn't mean **** to me 

#43 Posted by eridian00 (92 posts) -
this is game of the year for meas well. i had no other games to play other then BF3 since i had played kingdoms of amalur to death and dragons dogma as well so i had no other games to play, i got this on the 18th, and for the first day i played it for 24 hours straight, went to sleep and did the same the next day and the day after that, now i have been playing it constantly " though no as much" since then. and no end in sight as i only have a lvl 50 axton and not very high lvl on anything else " though i plan to" the fun i get from this game and time spent in it easily makes it game of the year.
#44 Posted by alphatango1 (3778 posts) -

Oh and make sure you save your game

#45 Posted by vunacar (694 posts) -

I would like to recommend to everyone to check out Yahtzee's review on Borderlands 2. You can find it on The Escapist. It is an interesting video and points exactly how I and many critics of the game feel.

#46 Posted by VAAC84 (54 posts) -

You guys realize he is entitled to his opinion, correct?

I own it and love it, but let's not assume he's a troll or say he's objectively wrong. I know he was asking for a multi-page flame-fest by using that thread title, but let's all be adults here. We can answer each others posts reasonably I believe.

#47 Posted by shadowkills69 (233 posts) -

I would like to recommend to everyone to check out Yahtzee's review on Borderlands 2. You can find it on The Escapist. It is an interesting video and points exactly how I and many critics of the game feel.

vunacar

so what your saying is you actually like the game and made this topic for the sole purpose of pissing people off?

#48 Posted by iAmaterasu (25 posts) -
If you don't like the game, get rid of it. Plenty of other enjoys the game and what it has to offer.
#49 Posted by LeviathanUSBM (79 posts) -
...yawn...fart...burp... BL2 is a fun game... Can't wait for AC3
#50 Posted by vunacar (694 posts) -

[QUOTE="vunacar"]

shadowkills69

so what your saying is you actually like the game and made this topic for the sole purpose of pissing people off?

Are you sure you watched the correct review? Type "zero punctuation borderlands 2" into google and click on the first link. I just want to mention the guy is one of the funniest and most respected reviewers on the planet.