Two things i dont understand (spoilers)

#1 Posted by PuRe2772 (15 posts) -

1. How was Comstock able to open up the tear to get Anna?

2. How does Booker get to Comstocks universe at the start of the game? It must happen before we assume control over Booker, but is any hint made to it?

#2 Posted by Zippon (189 posts) -

1.  Rosalind Lutece discovers a way to bridge realities as part of her research.  Elizabeth was never the source of the tears.  That's something most of us probably assumed.  Rosalind figured out how to peer through the tears, Comstock starting using them to look into the future, and he asked Rosalind to use her connection with her "brother" to get Anna from Booker.

2.  My take is that you've been looping for some time, courtesy of the Luteces.  That's why they argue about whether the experiment is worth conducting at the very beginning.  You aren't supposed to see Booker being pulled through as it's already happened.

But I'm no expert.  ;-)

#3 Posted by Large_Soda (8620 posts) -

Isn't there a scene towards the end of the game where the Lutece's are dragging Booker?  I would presume that is what takes place immediately before the game opens on the boat.

#4 Posted by ThunderSly (22 posts) -

1. The Lutece created the machine which was able to open tears, Comstock went through the tear to get Elizabeth, because, due to his continuous exposure to universe-travelling he became sterile and aged quickly, but he wanted a heir so he went through the tear to buy his daughter from himself so his old self could pay off his debt. However when Elizabeth was passing through the tear it closed on her finger, which made her "exist" in two different worlds (the old Booker's world and Comstock's world) and that made her be able to create tears.

2. The Lutece propose to a Booker who didn't have memory of his daughter an offer to clear his debt (Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt), so they bring him to the universe where Comstock exists, they do that due to their love for science, for they wanted to see what would happen if two of the same person, but not the same person existed on the same universe.

#5 Posted by soki58 (1 posts) -
Luteces did it because they understood that what they did was wrong. There is a voxaphone about it somewhere in the game. Essentially he-Lutece felt guilty and talked she-lutece into it.
#6 Posted by donalbane (16379 posts) -

1. The Lutece created the machine which was able to open tears, Comstock went through the tear to get Elizabeth, because, due to his continuous exposure to universe-travelling he became sterile and aged quickly, but he wanted a heir so he went through the tear to buy his daughter from himself so his old self could pay off his debt. However when Elizabeth was passing through the tear it closed on her finger, which made her "exist" in two different worlds (the old Booker's world and Comstock's world) and that made her be able to create tears.

2. The Lutece propose to a Booker who didn't have memory of his daughter an offer to clear his debt (Bring us the girl and wipe away the debt), so they bring him to the universe where Comstock exists, they do that due to their love for science, for they wanted to see what would happen if two of the same person, but not the same person existed on the same universe.

ThunderSly

That makes a lot of sense... if 'Comstock' was traveling through time, he would age despite the fact that he could return to the point he left. That's a tidy explanation of their age discrepencies.

That's really interesting... I have until now not seen a plausible (lol) explanation as to why Elizabeth could open tears. I assumed the Luteces were experimenting on her... perhaps with the spine-plug thingy that Booker removed from her back when she was rescued. But yeah, nice theory.

#7 Posted by Zippon (189 posts) -

That makes a lot of sense... if 'Comstock' was traveling through time, he would age despite the fact that he could return to the point he left. That's a tidy explanation of their age discrepenciesdonalbane
That does make more sense, but I don't think that's the in-game explanation. I need to play through again, but I definitely recall a Lutece voxphone where she says the cancer (caused by exposure to her machines) not only sterilized him, but made him appear to age more quickly. I simply accepted that, even though it's a little goofy. Then again, he just has a gruffer voice, a few more wrinkles, and white hair. None of those are a stretch for someone who is sick. I think one of his earliest voxphones, in the tower at the very beginning, is from Comstock as he talks about how all the tiny tumors in his body are hastening his march to see the lord or something like that. Which backs up the idea that his condition is due to sickness, not due to spending time in other time periods.

#8 Posted by donalbane (16379 posts) -

[QUOTE="donalbane"]That makes a lot of sense... if 'Comstock' was traveling through time, he would age despite the fact that he could return to the point he left. That's a tidy explanation of their age discrepenciesZippon

That does make more sense, but I don't think that's the in-game explanation. I need to play through again, but I definitely recall a Lutece voxphone where she says the cancer (caused by exposure to her machines) not only sterilized him, but made him appear to age more quickly. I simply accepted that, even though it's a little goofy. Then again, he just has a gruffer voice, a few more wrinkles, and white hair. None of those are a stretch for someone who is sick. I think one of his earliest voxphones, in the tower at the very beginning, is from Comstock as he talks about how all the tiny tumors in his body are hastening his march to see the lord or something like that. Which backs up the idea that his condition is due to sickness, not due to spending time in other time periods.

Well maybe he has cancer AND is older. Win/Win! :D
#9 Posted by theeverydaygame (62 posts) -
[QUOTE="Zippon"]

[QUOTE="donalbane"]That makes a lot of sense... if 'Comstock' was traveling through time, he would age despite the fact that he could return to the point he left. That's a tidy explanation of their age discrepenciesdonalbane

Well maybe he has cancer AND is older. Win/Win! :D

Lemme throw my two cents in here. The reason the twins brought Booker into Comstock's world is because when Comstock had the twins killed they existed in every universe some how and saw all the things wrong with the world. So in order to fix it they bring Booker into the world to destroy Comstock. Also the reason the twins were killed is because they were plotting to bring Elizabeth back to the world she belonged and Comstock found out and killed them. Also in the game Comstock appears old due to the cancer the machine caused but in reality he is only in his mid to late 30s.