Things you hated in Bioshock Infinite(Spoilers)

#1 Posted by Shock_the_Rock (143 posts) -

1) No quicksave (i want to save anywhere but not in combat)

2) You can carry only 2 weapons at a time. In the first two bioshock you could carry 8 weapons. Carrying 3 or 4 weapons would be better only 2.

3) Booker, Are you afraid of God. No but I am afraid of you line.

Why would booker be afraid of Elizabeth? She hardly killed anyone in the game. She barely controls her ability to open up tears.

She couldn't stop booker from killing Comstock. She is not that powerful imo.

While booker is a badass(lol) who uses vigors, wide variety of weapons.

#2 Posted by flax174 (34 posts) -

hi there

some good points listed

the auto saves were a problem for me really, not a major problem, but a problem none the less

I didn't mind that much about the two weapon capacity, just three would of been welcome.

but loved the game, a tad steep at £60.00, no new game + mode, no major unlockables

but i like it.

Can't believe they spent five years on it though, jesus.

#3 Posted by Zippon (189 posts) -

Honest question: you are very young, yes?  Because I have no problem with you disliking a few things, but #3 shows that you really, really missed the point.  She isn't powerful because she didn't kill a lot of people?  She couldn't stop him from killing Comstock?  Whoah.

Elizabeth can alter reality.  If you actually saw someone do that in real life, it would freak you the hell out.  It means ANYTHING can change--even you.  She brings the dead back to life.  She changes the entire world around them, instantly plunging the whole city into civial war.  She's practically a god by the end.

In this age of constant, casual, vicarious killing, it might be lost on some youngsters that when you achieve real power and strength, you are defined by how often you choose not to use them.  Any punk can push people around.  It takes real character to hold back.  Elizabeth's actions are partially based on that and partially on the fact that she's lived an extremely sheltered life and is still processing a flood of info and emotions about the world.  Part of her wanted Comstock dead.  But she couldn't decide quickly enough to stop Booker.  If she 100% wanted him to stop, she could have.  Just look at how he tried to stop her after unhooking her from the machine, and she instantly whipped up a tornado to show him she meant business.

#4 Posted by Shock_the_Rock (143 posts) -

Honest question: you are very young, yes?  Because I have no problem with you disliking a few things, but #3 shows that you really, really missed the point.  She isn't powerful because she didn't kill a lot of people?  She couldn't stop him from killing Comstock?  Whoah.

Elizabeth can alter reality.  If you actually saw someone do that in real life, it would freak you the hell out.  It means ANYTHING can change--even you.  She brings the dead back to life.  She changes the entire world around them, instantly plunging the whole city into civial war.  She's practically a god by the end.

In this age of constant, casual, vicarious killing, it might be lost on some youngsters that when you achieve real power and strength, you are defined by how often you choose not to use them.  Any punk can push people around.  It takes real character to hold back.  Elizabeth's actions are partially based on that and partially on the fact that she's lived an extremely sheltered life and is still processing a flood of info and emotions about the world.  Part of her wanted Comstock dead.  But she couldn't decide quickly enough to stop Booker.  If she 100% wanted him to stop, she could have.  Just look at how he tried to stop her after unhooking her from the machine, and she instantly whipped up a tornado to show him she meant business.

Zippon

Honest question: are you stupid yes? what does age have to do with this?

You say she brings the dead back to life? Yeah right Freight hooks, meds, salts are really living things.

"she instantly whipped up a tornado to show him she meant business." Yet she did not something like this when comstock's men, vox popullia came to kill booker and her. she only gives suppies and brings freight,salts.etc from alterate universe. I know she can't bring something out of nowwhere but freight, salts, meds are only things she brings when booker is fighting.

In the e3 2010 demo video, she did bring clouds over hordes of enemies and booker used shock jockey and electrocuted the enemies. She also gave some objects to booker to use with telekenis.

I love Elizabeth's character but she is way overrated.

#5 Posted by w2play2 (49 posts) -

anyone here thinks that the Graphics on infinite are no match with graphics from B1?

I find the graphics on infinite , just..average . just an example: when songbird makes its entry , a cut scene ends with all falling into the water with a splash. There are rectangular blocks to be seen in that splash...awful.

I never had these back in B1.  uncanny , how an 'Old' game has much better graphics than a new one.

I am on a xbox 360...and I think the graphics are the worst here compared to a PC/PS3. but I have the B1 on same xbox too ;)

#6 Posted by GamerNerdTalk (309 posts) -

Finishing the game, not that the game was at all bad. But I liked the feeling of playing through the game for the first time. 

And 2, Handy-man. I hate is guts so much. 

#7 Posted by GamerNerdTalk (309 posts) -

[QUOTE="Zippon"]

Shock_the_Rock

You say she brings the dead back to life? Yeah right Freight hooks, meds, salts are really living things.

"she instantly whipped up a tornado to show him she meant business." Yet she did not something like this when comstock's men, vox popullia came to kill booker and her. she only gives suppies and brings freight,salts.etc from alterate universe. I know she can't bring something out of nowwhere but freight, salts, meds are only things she brings when booker is fighting.

In the e3 2010 demo video, she did bring clouds over hordes of enemies and booker used shock jockey and electrocuted the enemies. She also gave some objects to booker to use with telekenis.

I wouldn't say Elizabeth is overrated at all. She is a well fleshed out female character in video games. We need more female protagonists like Elizabeth
#8 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

1. Can become a pain on harder difficulty levels, but they did add extra checkpoints right before Handyman battles on 1999, and I got through Hard without too much trouble. However there were places I used revivals vs reloading chekpoints due to the checkpoint placements being annoying at times.

2. Doesn't really bother me, it just balances out your weapon to vigor ratio and keeps you on the move picking up other weapons when needed. The inventory system also keeps an ammo stock of each weapon type, so it's not that hard to deal with and is just  more realistic.

3. I think he meant he's afraid of her powers and what might potentially happen were she to become enraged at him. It's also likely because he was first intent on just handing her over to pay off his gambling debt. A guilt conscience can cause fear in itself. I kinda LOLed when he said he wasn't mad at her when he caught up to her after she smacked him with the wrecnh and ran off. She should have been made at HIM.

Other than that, sometimes the gears being random spawn items bothers me. It makes it kinda harder to know what strategy you'll be able to use in the first half of the game, especially on higher difficulty levels. I also don't like that you can lose valuable gears if you reload a checkpoint to redo a battle if there's a gear pickup right after the checkpoint.

#9 Posted by Shock_the_Rock (143 posts) -

1. Can become a pain on harder difficulty levels, but they did add extra checkpoints right before Handyman battles on 1999, and I got through Hard without too much trouble. However there were places I used revivals vs reloading chekpoints due to the checkpoint placements being annoying at times.

2. Doesn't really bother me, it just balances out your weapon to vigor ratio and keeps you on the move picking up other weapons when needed. The inventory system also keeps an ammo stock of each weapon type, so it's not that hard to deal with and is just  more realistic.

3. I think he meant he's afraid of her powers and what might potentially happen were she to become enraged at him. It's also likely because he was first intent on just handing her over to pay off his gambling debt. A guilt conscience can cause fear in itself. I kinda LOLed when he said he wasn't mad at her when he caught up to her after she smacked him with the wrecnh and ran off. She should have been made at HIM.

Other than that, sometimes the gears being random spawn items bothers me. It makes it kinda harder to know what strategy you'll be able to use in the first half of the game, especially on higher difficulty levels. I also don't like that you can lose valuable gears if you reload a checkpoint to redo a battle if there's a gear pickup right after the checkpoint.

Frag_Maniac
Now this is a much better reply than the guy(3rd post) above. I love Bioshock Infinite but it's not a perfect game as many are saying. I am going to play it for the 3rd time.
#10 Posted by Zippon (189 posts) -

Shock_the_Rock

Okay, thanks for confirming that you are, indeed, a child. That makes this much clearer. And age has everything to do with how you process the world. Your lack of experience shows in how you are missing the point with Elizabeth.

I was also going to ask if you actually finished the game, based on how wrong your answers were, but you claim you are starting your third play-through. Wow. Okay, just to clarify a couple of things:

--Elizabeth constantly brings people back to life when you go through tears. You didn't notice all the bloody-nosed, zombie types wandering around? Booker and Elizabeth kind of talk about them, too. A LOT. In case you were rushing and missed it, it's EVERY guy you kill before going through that first tear to save Chen Lin. And every guy you kill before going through the next tear to move his machinery. And Chen Lin. Who was kind of important to the plot.

--Um, so you are saying she whipped up that tornado in anger....but she really couldn't whip it up because she normally didn't get involved in the fights other than providing supplies? Wha--umm, HUH? Throughout most of the game, she isn't in control of her powers. The scene I mentioned is near the end, and she follows it up by taking you out of the universe itself into the nexus of all realities. So, yeah, once again she does more than just give you salts and stuff.

The point I am making--and which you are tragically missing--is that Elizabeth is the most powerful and dangerous person in the game.  Your original statement was that Booker was the badass because he killed people with a gun and vigors and Elizabeth was weak. And you're dead wrong. I tried to explain that nicely, but you responded by calling me stupid. Grade school move.

If you want to say she's weak, indecisive, and not fully in control of her powers early on, you are 100% correct. But the whole point of the game is to show her growth as a person, as she learns more about the world and about her situation. She ultimately has enough control over her powers to alter reality at will (look what she did to Songbird, an enemy Booker had no chance against) and she has the confidence to take action with them (ultimately killing every version of Comstock by killing the prime version of Booker).

Maybe you'll catch on during your third time through....

#11 Posted by Karatekid360 (25 posts) -
Only being able to have two weapons at once was the most annoying thing for me. But yeah, I have to disagree with point three. Not trying to start an argument lol.
#12 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Missing or misinterpreting some things in a wild piece of fiction does not automatically make someone infantile. Berating them as if to assume they are however is very childish. Some people love games too much to even talk politely and maturely about them, and being fanatical about them doesn't automatically make one more mature or intelligent.

#13 Posted by couly (5839 posts) -
How come the only things Elizabeth can pull through tears are **** freight hooks and walls? and I wish she would stop throwing money at me, actually I wish she wasn't there at all. Vigors are impractical in Columbia, nobody uses them only booker. Also, how come when you start shooting, citizens disappear into thin air?
#14 Posted by AllHailTheSith (296 posts) -
What did I hate?... The story first and foremost... the powers... the yellow shield thing (and more importantly how you acquire it... really???), the lack of anything feeling like "Bioshock". The gameplay is fun but this game really felt like an Uwe Boll movie adaptation. In the first game, the powers where incorporated into the story, enemies also had them. You needed to harvest Adam by taking on Big Daddy's and Little Sisters (moral choice) in order to get them... not use coins to buy them and drink like a potion... that nobody else uses for some reason. Drinking a potion gives me a recharging "shield" that nobody else has... OK, that's pretty gay. The story... I really can't even begin. A city in the clouds in stead of in the sea. That's really the only good thing I can think of. Plot twists are supposed to be a surprise... that's why they're a "twist". The first game was a plot twist... this was just sad. The game was fun... but it's far from "Great".
How come the only things Elizabeth can pull through tears are **** freight hooks and walls? and I wish she would stop throwing money at me, actually I wish she wasn't there at all. Vigors are impractical in Columbia, nobody uses them only booker. Also, how come when you start shooting, citizens disappear into thin air? couly
Amen.
#15 Posted by sSubZerOo (43782 posts) -
The biggest beef from it for me was the half way in point with the inter dimensional plot line and idea really taking over.. It really detracted from the idea of the first half of a floating ultra nationalist, ultra xenophobic city... To me it felt like they were just trying to create a twist because they wanted to, not that it fit in with the setting and flow of the story.. Not to mention the hints were painfully obvious 2/3rds in that you were at very least Liz's father and most likely Colmstock as well.. They just made it too overt, especially when you go into Colmstock's house..
#16 Posted by couly (5839 posts) -
Also, the boss was in the middle of the game and it was a ghost! a **** ghost!
#17 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I'm going to update my evaluation of the game and mention my nit picks just to be fair to all those I felt were unfairly berating it.

Here's the main things I've come to loathe about Bioshock Infinite.

Checkpoint System

The checkpoints are spaced much too far apart. On anything up through Hard it's tolerable, but on 1999 mode it gets annoying as hell.

Cost to Revive

Again, on anything up through Hard it's not a problem, but on 1999 it starts draining your funds very fast.

Random gear spawns

You can actually lose some of your better gears in spots where they're placed right after a checkpoint if you reload a checkpoint or get revived because they randomly spawn.

Weapons less effective on higher difficulty modes

This is one of my pet peeves in many games. If the enemy's damage toward the player scales, so should the player's. Higher modes should involve more cover and timing, not constantly depleting your ammo due to dumbed down weapons.

Vigors often don't adhere to enemies

This is asinine. I can't tell you how many times I have just shot my way through without vigors (even on 1999 mode), because when you step out of cover and expect your vigor shot to work, it simply fails to stick to the enemy instead. The only way you can be sure of them working is to stay ridiculously close and fire them completely exposed while taking lots of damage.

Poorly Optimized

With my 7970 equipped PC I get 87 FPS ave on the game's benchmark at max settings @ 1080p. However there are lots of places in the game where the FPS dips to the 30-40 FPS range, causing lots of stutter. Using an external app for VSync helps a bit, but not much. Even with VSync off completely it stutters badly in places.

Ending is horrible

Nothing I haven't said before, but the story ending after the final battle is just terrible. They try and play up the concept of a complex multiverse through the whole game, only to end with the false pretense that the player has the ability to end an implied causality loop by linearly going through the motions of [spoiler] destroying Booker before he becomes Comstock [/spoiler] , which if even possible, makes the entire story as if a nightmare vs reality.

In fact there are many things about the story that just don't make sense. For instance we are told Columbia is the pride and joy of American Exceptionalism, as if to say, "Hey world, look what we can do", yet all through the game the citizens and Comstock refer to pretty much all of America as "the Sodom below". What about those whom built the city? Are we to believe they're all scum too, or did they somehow all book passage on cruise ship Columbia?

Needless to say there's many irrational things about this Irrational Games release.

Summary

I have as well lowered my initial rating of 9/10 to 8/10. I got 3 full play throughs, and stopped 3/4 way in on 1999. The cemetery battle with Comstock was the last straw. She's a damn projectile sponge on that mode and the place is closed off with not enough ammo. I tried several methods including fully upgraded RPG, Charge, MoC, DK, and Bronco. Also tried the Crank Gun, Shotgun, Heater, etc. The game's 1999 mode simply blows.

So I feel about the same as I did with TR 2013, that the game doesn't really have anything more than a few interesting play throughs and that's it. After that it gets so long in the tooth almost any other game feels like a nice change of pace. For example, as bad as CAPCOM's latest title is, I'm actually enjoying taking a brake from it to play RE6 instead. Actually I feel more intent on shelving it like I did TR 2013 than taking a mere break.

I'll end by saying my fave 2013 game so far is still Dead Space 3, which IMO is underrated. TR 2013 and Bio Infinite are overrated by comparison. They're OK, just not good enough to leave you wanting to replay them a lot, and combined with the many in game annoyances and poor optimization, are not very memorable experiences.

#18 Posted by Murazor (117 posts) -

anyone here thinks that the Graphics on infinite are no match with graphics from B1?

I find the graphics on infinite , just..average . just an example: when songbird makes its entry , a cut scene ends with all falling into the water with a splash. There are rectangular blocks to be seen in that splash...awful.

I never had these back in B1.  uncanny , how an 'Old' game has much better graphics than a new one.

I am on a xbox 360...and I think the graphics are the worst here compared to a PC/PS3. but I have the B1 on same xbox too ;)

w2play2

I've heard this complaint abou 360, and it's a bummer. I'm on a PC and can confirm that it's one of the most beautiful games (both technically and artistically) that I've ever seen. I loaded up the original Bioshock the other night to compare, and it blows it out of the water.

#19 Posted by gutsallover (412 posts) -

I wouldn't use the word hate for the following, simply because if I hate something in a game I probably won't even continue playing it. Instead, I'll list what I felt were flaws:

1) Too much combat, not enough exploration. In my opinion, the best parts of the game were those with no combat, such as the opening, first finding Elizabeth, playing the guitar in the bar with Elizabeth singing, and the ending. That's not to say that the game should have been combat-free, but I would have liked to have some more scenes where I could explore Columbia more, learn about its history, spend time with its people, etc. That also brings me to another slight complaint: I wish that Booker would actually interact with the other people, rather than remaining silent when they talked to him.

2) More options within combat. It would have been nice to have some different routes to take. Not only less linearity in the levels, but also some more options. The Vox rebellion would have been perfect for this. You could have the opportunity to keep on the down low, sneaking through the streets/acting like one of the Vox, or you could go in guns blazing, or have your cover blown by trying to rescue bystanders, etc.

3) Upgrading system, specifically in regards to the need to sift through trash bins and people's purses. I didn't need barrels (or desks, or benches, etc.) at every corner of the room to encourage me to explore. Things like Voxophones are enough for that. Having to scrounge through this stuff kind of takes you out of the game, especially with the half-assed stealing mechanic. It made absolutely no sense when that popped up and when it didn't. It felt like a feature the developers meant to do more with, didn't have the time, but didn't want to go through the effort of scrapping it. I'm not sure what could replace scrounging through other people's stuff in order to get the necessary money to upgrade weapons (mini-games such as gambling would be far worse), but it's hardly ideal.

4) Enemies don't use Vigors...why? 

5) Could have used better exposition when it came to Slate. He felt kind of tacked on.  

#20 Posted by w2play2 (49 posts) -

(some I did pick from previous posts)

Here's the list of what all was a letdown when compared with B1. why the comparison: B1 is the epoch which set this precedent.

-1) in B1/B2 turrets could be hacked and made into freinds(forever!), now it's like throwing a green ghost of a cloud on the thing and it's made freindly for a short time.

-2) cant invent your own stuff at the vending machines

-3) am I the only one who thinks that Graphics in B1 were stll better.Crisp and more 3d depth in the figures. For example, the bushes in Arcadia sway with the breeze, the bushes in Infinite are no better than the Mario game bushes.static /painted upon . I am on a xbox 360...and I think the graphics are the worst here compared to a PC/PS3. but I have the B1 on same xbox too

-4) looting the barrels principle(nothing new)

-5) can only carry 2 weapons ....this must be a bad joke.

-6) someone hands me a magnetic anti damage vest kind of thing( the yellow bar meter thingy) on a platter . I had to earn these kind of things in the previous episodes.

- 7) Barman is happily cleaning the glasses, I steal money from right under his nose, all is well and dandy. This is not the Bioshock I am acclamatised with.expect a frenzied lunacy from the guys lurking around.  "monsterrr !!" :)

-8) No upgraded weapon looks.cant forget the steam jutting out upgraded shotgun in B1...yum yum

-9) No Ammo types.

-10) No boss fight , Can't fight songbird. from the trailer it was presumed this would be the mother of all fights. what a damp sqib afterall.

-11) No mini games. ( Hacking , lock picking or otherwise )

-12)  no save (like in B1).hate these machine saves. I want to be in control and not the machine on my progress.

-13) who could ever forget those haunted wails ... "I want to be a staaaaaaar"

de nitro splicer gunning for you and howling "why are u making this so difficult for yourself"

splicer against splicer  "open up the goddamn door"...crazed frenzy!

overdosage on narcotics(ahem...adam) and complete lunacy ...so in line with reality & funny at the same time .. look at a corpses in B1, it is shaking a leg or waving a hand with a bloody smile on the face, Genius cool stuff..what happened here in BI ? in infinite I was killing uniformed and (so called)trained n serious looking guards ....after playing B1 this is so plain boooooring. if I need to run and shoot guards why cant I buy black opps or some war game 

ken went too much into the story and less on the gameplay expereince part. he got too serious in building up the story... just like those serious smug no fun guards in BI.

#22 Posted by eLLiptiX (29 posts) -

Hmmm..  this is a hard thing to admit but I did have a few issues with the game.  It was quite enjoyable, but I did shake my head at some things.

*reiteration..  spoilers*

1)  Fighting Lady Comstock's ghost was a neat gimmick at best ... the first time..  why in the hell do I need to repeat this process 3 times?  There was nothing really that innovative about this boss to keep it as a predominant boss fight throughout the later part of the game.  

2)  The entire story experience felt like if 12 Monkeys and Butterfly Effect (the bad ending) had a child..  while Donnie Darko was a secret love affair.  It was clever, but somehow felt like the same depressing undertone that the main character could do nothing to keep himself alive in order to save everyone.

3) The comparison between fighting Big Daddies to Handymen is a vast and obvious choice for the earlier game.  Big Daddies were such a versatile part of your entire experience.. want to invest in using a Big Daddy to clear your path?  go for it!  Maybe you could do this to handymen I'm not sure cause I was too busy emptying my entire ammo stocks into them!  Admittedly I was terrible about aiming for the heart but still!!  >:(.  Choosing to fight Big Daddies or exploring around trying to find methods to kill these creepy things was awesome..  Infinite gives you no such option.  Once your encounter starts it either stops with your death or the Handyman.  Not to mention how ridiculous they look.  I immediately thought of the abstract toys from Toy Story 1 and laughed when I saw it.

Sure some could say "what about the Patriots?"  honestly these things were far weaker than either of the other two.  

4) Atmosphere..  The Shock series before Infinite was known for its creepy atmosphere..  Not once in Infinite did I feel this.  Sure the messed up display of racism made me raise my eyebrows, but c'mon!  The first Bioshock at least kinda had you fighting against mutated humans known as splicers.  They were much tougher to kill than any human, and overall just added to the creepiness.  Infinite makes your main batch of humans a bit too easy to kill at times, and are no where near as vocal.  Dare I say that killing these enemies got a bit.. repetitive?  

I will say they did make an honestly creepy enemy with the searchlight insane patriot henchman..  god that scream and then you had to fight nearly 20 of them at once??  F@*k that noise..  sadly the innovation with this enemy is only experienced in one segment of the game.

The "enemies don't use Vigors"  argument is false.  You do fight Firemen and Crow men but no where near the variety from the original.

5) this is not Halo..  ditch the shield please

6) This was an extremely Linear experience in comparison to the first game.  Remember the chemical compound you had to formulate and create in the U-Invent to complete the Arcadia level?  Remember the vast amount of backtracking and exploration that was forced on you?  You won't find it in Infinite..  nope you are basically point A to point B the entire game.

7) This game seemed to be a much shorter experience..  I could be wrong but from start to finish.. I felt the original had more story and substance to drive the game play value longer.  I base this of coarse on both games' vanilla versions with no DLC added.  This point probably disappointed me the most when I take a look at Irrational's previous installments.  Has anybody played System Shock 2?  Everyone would agree that game had 3 times the amount of game play experience because Irrational purposefully made the game long as Hell!  The Thief series?  Same thing..  the classics in comparison to what we get today is not the 3 corse dinner we are promised.  We get an incomplete game that capitalizes on DLC.  Will this ever go away?  Sadly no.. Gaming has evolved to the point that in order to keep franchises afloat, we are suckered into spending nearly $100 total to get the full experience.  In some cases.. sometimes much much more..

Yea yea..  "but you can't prove the developers purposefully planned to give us an incomplete game!  Maybe they loved it so much they wanted to continue adding to it!"  please..  if that were true there wouldn't be 'Season Passes' on a vanilla launch.

Okay I think my ranting is done..  >.>  ..all in all I had an enjoyable experience playing the game and you all should to.  Moreover, I am a firm believer in finding things out for yourself so in the words of Mr. Reading Rainbow.. "don't take my word for it!"

#23 Posted by KevinConklin (1620 posts) -

Zippon

This (times a million). Well said.

#24 Posted by TigerRifle1 (2 posts) -

..."In fact there are many things about the story that just don't make sense. For instance we are told Columbia is the pride and joy of American Exceptionalism, as if to say, "Hey world, look what we can do", yet all through the game the citizens and Comstock refer to pretty much all of America as "the Sodom below". What about those whom built the city? Are we to believe they're all scum too, or did they somehow all book passage on cruise ship Columbia?"

Told by whom? Other Columbians. They are saying this is what America should've been.