Question about Elizabeth? (Spoilers)

#1 Posted by AndThn3 (2 posts) -

Something that is bugging me that I can't quite figure out, maybe you guys can for me. So at the end of the game when Booker is drowned by all the Elizabeth's it kills off all the possible existences of Elizabeth and Comstock, but as most people have stated not Anna. I'm asking why not? If Anna was born before the baptism where Booker becomes Comstock then why wouldn't Comstock take Anna from his own Universe and do all that crazy stuff that he does to "make" Elizabeth? Does Comstock just reject and neglect the Anna in his Universe? and if so wouldn't that create a paradox when he takes Anna from another universe?

Now let's say that Anna is only born after Dewitt rejects the baptism, that would make sense why Comstock would take Anna from the other Universe because she does not exist in his universe. But that would also mean in the final scene when the Elizabeth's drowned Dewitt, that they're not only stopping the existence of Comstock and Elizabeth, but Anna as well. Does Dewitt fully understand that he is stopping the existence of his daughter?

It changes the outcome of the game for me at least, from Booker stopping all this madness and letting his child hopefully have a somewhat normal life, to now he saves the world at a cost of everything to him..

I don't know am I wrong, or am I missing something?
Help me out, thanks.

#2 Posted by BioAssassin (152 posts) -

Anna is technically not dead. When Booker gives up Anna to Comstock and sends her to Columbia, 20 years pass and hes sent to Columbia to try and get her back. He doesn't realize Elizabeth is really his daughter and the Booker we play goes through all of Columbia to stop Comstock and run into other people. Everything about Columbia including giving up Anna and even considering about giving her up is gone when he commits suicide. Comstock is gone, Elizabeth is gone and the day when Booker gave up Anna to Comstock or when Comstock takes her away from him never happened. The scene after the credits shows that Booker and Anna are possibly together because he never met a Comstock and Leutuces. 

#3 Posted by ktwq (1199 posts) -

I just finished the game yesterday and I'm still pretty confused about the ending.

Did Elizabeth just drown the Booker that accepted baptism or every Booker regardless of whether he accepted or rejected baptism? I have read some theories that Elizabeth drowned every single Booker but I'm leaning more towards her killing only the Booker that accepted baptism.

If Elizabeth had drowned every Booker, then none of this would have happened at all. There would be no more Booker/Comstock, no more Anna/Elizabeth and no Columbia. None of this would exist at all. 

So Elizabeth was willing to die (or not live at all?) so she won't have to live an imprisoned life? Or was she more afraid of the destruction of Columbia and New York? However, now that Comstock is dead and Booker and Elizabeth is free, what more is there to change? I mean, they are free to do whatever they want now. Booker can accept her as a daughter and Elizabeth will not be forced to rain fire on the mountains of man. Why even bother killing Comstock at his birth?

Could someone help clarify this for me?

Thanks

#4 Posted by donalbane (16370 posts) -
[QUOTE="ktwq"]

I just finished the game yesterday and I'm still pretty confused about the ending.

Did Elizabeth just drown the Booker that accepted baptism or every Booker regardless of whether he accepted or rejected baptism? I have read some theories that Elizabeth drowned every single Booker but I'm leaning more towards her killing only the Booker that accepted baptism.

If Elizabeth had drowned every Booker, then none of this would have happened at all. There would be no more Booker/Comstock, no more Anna/Elizabeth and no Columbia. None of this would exist at all. 

So Elizabeth was willing to die (or not live at all?) so she won't have to live an imprisoned life? Or was she more afraid of the destruction of Columbia and New York? However, now that Comstock is dead and Booker and Elizabeth is free, what more is there to change? I mean, they are free to do whatever they want now. Booker can accept her as a daughter and Elizabeth will not be forced to rain fire on the mountains of man. Why even bother killing Comstock at his birth?

Could someone help clarify this for me?

Thanks

This is certainly a plot hole in my book... if you wanted to stop the baptized Booker/Comstock, there would be 2 bookers present at the ending, and the player-character Booker wouldn't need to die at all since he never was baptized. They would kill a younger, just-baptized Booker. Still, what a great plot twist. Way better than, "Would you kindly?".