Not as per my expectations...yet

#1 Posted by w2play2 (49 posts) -

I played B1 in 2008 , a Truly Great Game. (Last level was botched up with the narrow oval visor)
I played B2 later when it came out, also good (nice upgraded weapons and all to my repertoire)

I bought B3(Infinite) the day it launched itself and then sat down about two hours and am wondering 'what is this ?'

- in B1/B2 turrets could be hacked and made into freinds, now it's like throwing a green ghost of a cloud on the thing and it's made freindly for a short time.

-cant invent your own stuff at the vending machines

-am I the only one who thinks that Graphics in B1 were stll better.Crisp and more 3d depth in the figures. For example, the bushes in Arcadia sway with the breeze, the bushes in Infinite are no better than the Mario game bushes.static /painted upon

-looting the barrels principle(nothing new)

-can only carry 2 weapons ....this must be a bad joke.

-someone hands me a magnetic anti damage vest kind of thing( the yellow bar meter thingy) on a platter . I had to earn these kind of things in the previous episodes.

- Barman is happily cleaning the glasses, I steal money from right under his nose, all is well and dandy. This is not the Bioshock I am acclamatised with.

I am not 12, but 42 , and my kids are huge B fans too, but yesterday I saw them moving over to killing zombies in black opps two, while they had started with infinite with much gusto just a couple of days back(its unfinished).

it could be that the Game will vastly change my opinion after the two hours , but what are the chances that it is not bleak.

#2 Posted by Seven_Force (328 posts) -
Game doesn't pick up until you meet Elizabeth, IMO.
#3 Posted by Paoksis (479 posts) -

you might find it better or worse than the previous entries,yet i think every Bioshock fan will enjoy this game more or less

#4 Posted by flax174 (26 posts) -

Hi there

no i thought in my own opinion apart from a few problems i loved it!

no co-op, or new game plus mode, a bit steep for just a 12 hour adventure but it's good.

#5 Posted by bboy2k (257 posts) -

i been playing this game for awhile and trust me. it never picks up lol...

#6 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

- in B1/B2 turrets could be hacked and made into freinds, now it's like throwing a green ghost of a cloud on the thing and it's made freindly for a short time.w2play2

Yes you had to hack them via a repetetive mini game that could usually be done safely after maneuvering into position or just finding them. After that they baby sat choke points for you. Here you have to earn your help via use of salts. I think you'll find it makes more sense to upgrade to Possession for Less and layer Shock Jockey over it though. That way they last longer and are more durable and powerful.

-cant invent your own stuff at the vending machines

Meh, it was only really useful and needed when the game called for a specific item to be built, and sometimes it could drive you nuts trying to find one of the less common parts for them.

-am I the only one who thinks that Graphics in B1 were stll better.Crisp and more 3d depth in the figures. For example, the bushes in Arcadia sway with the breeze, the bushes in Infinite are no better than the Mario game bushes.static /painted upon

Well it's certainly not like FEAR 1 vs FEAR 2, not by a long shot. Some areas did have better light and shadow contrast, and the water effects were pretty good, but other than that Bio 1 had repetetive dark maps and enemies. The art design alone in this one is way better, more creative, and varied.

-looting the barrels principle(nothing new)

You've implied up until now you'd pefer something like Bio 1, now you want something new, which is it?

-can only carry 2 weapons ....this must be a bad joke.

It facilitates the different style of fast paced vs slow and methodical combat. Some have implied Bio 1's combat is more cerebral, but in reality it's just slower. You could easily lay out trap wires and prox mines before the repeat scenario of flipping a switch to trigger a battle, then use a good choke point. Here you have to think on your feet more. My only complaint is they're still clinging to revivals and vending machines in battle areas, along with being able to pause the game to change gears.

I'd prefer they supplant that with a tap vs hold trap release, the ability to dual fire two vigors simultaneously, and the ability to quick switch gear sets. That and fixing the stutter problem, making vigors adhere more consistently, and making skylines highlighht more conmsistently, would go a long way toward making the game feel less fumbly. I applaud the change toward more tactical gameplay (cover tears, sniper rifles, etc), but some of the arcade elements are keeping it from truly progressing that direction to allow flowing, precise gameplay.

-someone hands me a magnetic anti damage vest kind of thing( the yellow bar meter thingy) on a platter . I had to earn these kind of things in the previous episodes.

Yet you just mentioned being able to indefinitely control turrets with one simple uncontested hack. There's hand holding in both games in one way or another.

- Barman is happily cleaning the glasses, I steal money from right under his nose, all is well and dandy. This is not the Bioshock I am acclamatised with.

Detection by AI can be consistent and both unpredictable. Some areas like the Ice Cream shop, Toy Soldier, and the cop guard station at the Finkton docks have AI that seem to ALWAYS detect theft. There's a bar in Shantytown however where I had on 3 play throughs looted the stuff behind the bar without being detected, only for all hell to break lose when I did on my last play through. It depends if anyone actually sees or hears you do it I think. Sometimes if you're standing close to an AI you're going to automatically be noticed doing it.

I am not 12, but 42 , and my kids are huge B fans too, but yesterday I saw them moving over to killing zombies in black opps two, while they had started with infinite with much gusto just a couple of days back(its unfinished).

it could be that the Game will vastly change my opinion after the two hours , but what are the chances that it is not bleak.

I'm actually 55, and though I used to be into a lot of fast paced arcade shooters like Painkiller, my eyes, reflexes and dexterity aren't what they used to be. I've played it through 4 times now, including beating it on 1999 Mode, albeit with DLC that gives you extra stuff, but it certainly has felt more clumsy and awkward than need be in places, and the scavenging is crucial on 1999 and can get very tedious.

You may get to liking it the more you play it, but you may also not like the story's ending, as was the case for me and many others. It's kind of a love it or hate it game. I rate it about 8/10, but I think with the polishing I suggested above it could easily be 8.5 or even 9/10.