I'm about to start hard mode

#1 Posted by sagejonathan (873 posts) -
I'm not good at shooting games but I'm a fan of this series and after beating it on medium I decided that I should go try Hard because I love this game so much. I'm about 2hrs in. Any tips? How is the money supply? I've lost a lot of money at the beginning :/
#2 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

Hard isn't too bad money wise if you don't run n gun too much. You can get back some or all of that cash you lost once you upgrade Possession with Possession for Less and start zapping vending machines with it, which makes them drop coins. It's not a huge amount you get so it's best to get the battles done in the area, then top off salts, then look for any extra salts you can top off with again before you decide whether to zap the machines. After a while you get to know whether it's worth it or not to zap them.

There'a also several places in the game you can bypass battles to save ammo and health, and therefore money. Once you're in Finkton you can skip the first Handyman on the way to The Good Time Club, as well as the troops on the way to Shantytown. Then the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th Boys of Silence trumpet head guys in the asylum, and finally the entire deck of enemies on the zepplein just before the engineering deck where the Handyman is. However make sure before you flip the switch to clear the skyline on that deck you use the vigor machine, because it's the last one in the game.

That's 6 total battles I know of you can skip completely just by running past, and in each case it can be done without taking any damage.

#3 Posted by rubango (29 posts) -

Hard was more fun than medium. Only used money to upgrade my vigors since it is hard to come by.

#4 Posted by Frag_Maniac (2059 posts) -

I'm replaying 1999 Mode because I beat it with DLC the first time and I wanted to do it without the perks. It hasn't been too difficult at all so far. Knowing what weapons, vigors, gears and tactics work well really makes a big difference.

The only thing I've upgraded so far is possession for humans and crow traps from corpses. Crow traps from corpses combined with the Blood to Salt gear really makes the going easier. At first I thought this gear left salts on 40% of the corspes, but the salts are automatically applied to your salt meter on 40% of your kills. You don't even have to pick it up, so you can use far more vigors during the battle.

#5 Posted by yearssomuch (54 posts) -

I'm replaying 1999 Mode because I beat it with DLC the first time and I wanted to do it without the perks. It hasn't been too difficult at all so far. Knowing what weapons, vigors, gears and tactics work well really makes a big difference.

The only thing I've upgraded so far is possession for humans and crow traps from corpses. Crow traps from corpses combined with the Blood to Salt gear really makes the going easier. At first I thought this gear left salts on 40% of the corspes, but the salts are automatically applied to your salt meter on 40% of your kills. You don't even have to pick it up, so you can use far more vigors during the battle.

Frag_Maniac
I was about to make a post saying the exact same thing. I've been trying to use Murder of Crows more often, upgrading it's Aid first chance I got, and I happened to come across the Blood to Salt gear very early on, and crowd control is no longer an issue. I just shoot out some Crows at a group of people, shoot them all dead, and watch everyone else on the field get stunned as well. The harder difficulties really do force you to play around with the Vigors just a little more, depending on what enemy you're fighting. Crows are great for Handyman, Shock Jockey is great for Automatons, Charge is FANTASTIC on Siren, Bronco works very well on any smaller enemy, etc., etc. On Medium, I just ran through with Bronco and Shock Jockey, all day. :P