Bioshock Infinite proved me, and the whole video game industry wrong.

#1 Posted by GamerNerdTalk (379 posts) -

As people already know, Bioshock Infinite is incredible. I have never thought a single game would be so engrossing. Being a college student I traded in almost ten games to get it, including the action sword fighting game  Metal Gear Rising. To be honest I was very hesitant doing it. I really enjoyed Metal Gear Rising for example. 

Which brings me to my big point. Before playing Bioshock Infinite, I would have never bought a first person shooter game with a man on the cover holding a gun, (exception going to Spec Ops: The Line). Bioshock Infinite does not have the best engine, nor does it have the best photo realistic graphics. But I would say still, Bioshock Infinite is the most beautiful game this generation, up there with Journey and El Shaddai: Ascention of the Metatron. The aesthetic and presentation of this game was mind blowingly awe-inspiring. 

In everyway Bioshock Infinite proves our industry of gaming wrong by having a single player, first person shooter without photo realisic graphics. 

I never thought I would have ever thought a first person shooter would be a sure contender for my personal game of the year, nor did I thing an fps would have such a captivating narrative and well written story. 

Irrational Games showed me the lesson of dont rule out shooting games because the are overdone, but rather showed me, all genres can be special. I think FPS's have a new standard set by Bioshock Infinite, and just hope that the industry can follow and make more engrossing fps games.

#2 Posted by marcheegsr (2842 posts) -

Ten games? Wow must of been old sport titles.

I hate trading in games, never is worth it.

But getting Bioshock was a good choice man.

#3 Posted by WestonX (2 posts) -
If you haven't played it yet, I suggest you invest in Bioshock (1), IMO the game is equally as good as Infinite (as far as I am so far) and also a masterpiece.
#4 Posted by Gamer3344 (60 posts) -

Seems like I'm the only one dissapointed in this game. The graphics are great, but the storyline is way too serious and trying to be too deep, other than that It's just another typical shooter.

#5 Posted by q-bert39 (137 posts) -

Seems like I'm the only one dissapointed in this game. The graphics are great, but the storyline is way too serious and trying to be too deep, other than that It's just another typical shooter.

Gamer3344

Oh no, you arent alone in that, i assure you. You just have to wait a while for the hype-train to lose a bit of steam, and for people to start taking off their hype-goggles, and drinking their hyperade before you start seeing more realistic and unbiased, objective critiques and reviews of the game.

#6 Posted by q-bert39 (137 posts) -

Gamer3344

Oh no, you arent alone in that, i assure you. You just have to wait a while for the hype-train to lose a bit of steam, and for people to start taking off their hype goggles and drinking their hyperade before you start seeing more realistic, unbiased, and objective critiques and reviews of the game.

#7 Posted by StarCarlton (26 posts) -

you are correct - the graphics are decent - but it is boring as hell

#8 Posted by Jooj (280 posts) -

I think there are those people who ike games for their themes and stories and those that like the technical aspect and judge a game by the weapons, powers etc you can accumulate.

The lattr group tend to be about 13, but at 48 (that old!) I am somewhere between these two positions. However I always value setting and especially story above all. At least Infintie had the rollecoaster, I don't recall that in any previous shooter!

#9 Posted by GamerNerdTalk (379 posts) -

[QUOTE="Gamer3344"]

q-bert39

Oh no, you arent alone in that, i assure you. You just have to wait a while for the hype-train to lose a bit of steam, and for people to start taking off their hype goggles and drinking their hyperade before you start seeing more realistic, unbiased, and objective critiques and reviews of the game.

We all.have our.own.opinions. No point of trolling over it.
#10 Posted by ZaoQuan (42 posts) -

In all honesty the duration was far to short.

The AI was often stupid, they had zones where they wouldn't follow you, so you could pull and camp them. I had x2 handyman in 99 mode commit suicide. I had to restart another game on the end zepplin because some dude jumped off the gunboat wrong as the Songbird hit it, resulting him on lower level. Also again, with an Undertow another enemy got stuck somewhere. The Flak cannon and Fireman were the best enemies as their guns could hit you through cover. Most of the time AI would just run around back and forth scrathing their heads. The gear, invunerability off any health taken, and invunerability off jumping on/off skyline, and health from killing enemy when low health, made it quite easy. The vigors 8 why? I never really used all of them Charge, and vigor 8. I still don't know what they did. Bronco and Devil's kiss for total pawnage. Unless mechanical then Shock. Many enemies and Possession, or place Devil's kIss and Crow's traps everywhere, and get more salts. Or Bronco and Undertow send them off the map. Mainly Devil's Kiss for boomboom. It would have been nice having the DPAD for vigors, keeping the shoulder key for combo presets. Sniper rifle, carbine, shotgun, pistol great weapons.

Great fun and truly awesome story, loved the RPG choice of upgrades and the fun of collecting the collectibles. Honestly I feel really ripped off because total completion took few days...