What about a Pilot/Driver Class?

#1 Posted by anvilone (410 posts) -

I was thinking maybe there should be a fifth class for armor/air crews. It seems silly to me that somebody can take a plane off the deck of a carrier, eject over an objective and land with a fully loaded M240 LMG, a mortar tube, and plenty of ammo. If such a thing was not possible, there could be less vehicle sacrifice in game.

This class would be limited to pistols and/or carbines/SMGs, possibly depending on the vehicle. If anybody likes this idea, I'd be curious what equipment (old or new) you think would make sense. I could easily see the pilot getting both repair tool and radio beacon.

I know there are probably a host reasons this also couldn't work, especially for the speed of gameplay in most battlefield matches, but I'm curious what everybody thinks.

#2 Posted by InvigorateMe_69 (676 posts) -

I was thinking maybe there should be a fifth class for armor/air crews. It seems silly to me that somebody can take a plane off the deck of a carrier, eject over an objective and land with a fully loaded M240 LMG, a mortar tube, and plenty of ammo. If such a thing was not possible, there could be less vehicle sacrifice in game.

This class would be limited to pistols and/or carbines/SMGs, possibly depending on the vehicle. If anybody likes this idea, I'd be curious what equipment (old or new) you think would make sense. I could easily see the pilot getting both repair tool and radio beacon.

I know there are probably a host reasons this also couldn't work, especially for the speed of gameplay in most battlefield matches, but I'm curious what everybody thinks.

anvilone
it would work better if on 64 player PC version. It does sound like a more organized idea though,
#3 Posted by Vozlov (1508 posts) -

The pilot class should get a pistol only, whilst for gadgets I'm not sure. A radio beacon wouldn't work as they'd simply eject and beacon anywhere, then come back as a sniper. Perhaps a motion sensor. Having only a pistol though would be realistic, and they'd have to kill someone for their kit if they wanted to survive. You would automatically become this class when getting in an air vehicle from the spawn screen or running to it.

A ground vehicle person should get an SMG and a repair torch. Personally though I think the engineer role works well enough.

What should happen with the classes most of all though is some more gadgets. The assault should be either a medic or ammo guy, but at the moment the section with DEFIBS only has DEFIBS. Some kind of wall breaching charge would be a good addition too.

#4 Posted by shuffles88 (289 posts) -

didnt they try this in starwars battlefront? it was fail. good concept but horrible in play

#5 Posted by UnchartedZone (217 posts) -

I don't think it would work. Part of the fun of Battlefield is the freedom of choice in massive sandbox maps. If you had to die to respawn as a driver just to use a tank, it would really ruin the fun and spontaneity, and we'd see less "Battlefield moments".