Easy way to take out a Man O' War to board the ship.

#1 Posted by AMRgamer3 (99 posts) -

If your ship [The Jackdaw] is not fully upgraded and find it difficult to take down a Man O' War. When you spot a Man O' War ship Lvl. 36 or higher, I found it easier to look for one that is already being attacked by other ships. Then circle the battle waiting for them to slowly chip away its health, this will take some time, but worth it. When you start to see the sails of the Man O' War damaged and torn, Jump in the fight, put a few mortar shots into it, maneuver around it's mortar fire and use round shot and heavy shot cannons and ram it. I suggest not using heavy shot a lot because of risk sinking it if you're going for boarding ship. Another method you could use, is attack the Man O' War, then allow it to follow you and head to the nearest fort you captured to help you take it down.

#2 Posted by d_kell411 (286 posts) -

This also works:

Sail full-speed into the Man of War without firing at it. When you get close and it starts to veer to avoid collision, let go of the wheel and charge up the center of your ship. If you are disengaged from the wheel and the Man of War hits you, it will not initiate a naval battle. Essentially, run as far up the front of your ship as you can, before attempting to launch yourself onto the Man of War.

I suppose this method is a bit theatrical, but man is it fun. Clear the ship through hand to hand combat, it's much easier than early naval wars with these galleons. When you get to the captain, bear in mind that your attempts to disarm and knock him back will initiate his counterattacks. Once the ship is cleared, go back to the Jack Daw, and fire once upon the vessel. It will go from full health to nearly zero, and will be boardable. Problem solved.

#3 Edited by AMRgamer3 (99 posts) -

I never thought of that

#4 Posted by Josh_X574 (7 posts) -

@d_kell411, you are a genius