There seems to be a awful lot of killing of British soldiers for a neutral game

• 61 results
#1 Posted by mkjohns (271 posts) -

Every single tralier, screenshot and teaser have all shown the assassins killing British soldiers. Yet not one American.

#2 Posted by Roanark (2467 posts) -

A few reasons for that...

1.) They are wanting to keep the templars within the colonial army secret for now, as they can't tell us everything.

2.) There are few reasons for a lot of templars to even be within the colonists, there is no power in the colonies, no artifacts, and no room to take over without invading the British monarchy.

3.) Assassins and Templars originate over-seas... Templars look for power, Assassin's fight for justice and free-will, there are far more reasons for Assassins to be in the colonies than there are Templars.

4.) Connor is alligned with the colonial army, while he is not directly part of it and he will be killing Templars within the army he believes in the philosophy and supports the idea of freedom and the right to free-will.

5.) The colonial templars are a meant to be more of a surprise, so they aren't telling us about them yet.

#3 Posted by Danny_1993 (1798 posts) -
Exactly what Roanark said, they've told us repeatedly it won't be "Connor vs British" and we should believe that, it'd be like saying "Luke finds out who his father is in Empire Strikes Back" and then showing a picture of Darth Vader They don't want to ruin the surprise
#4 Posted by JamieTow (1 posts) -
If he believes in free will then he shouldnt be siding with the americans as they took it away from the natives.
#5 Posted by orbit991 (589 posts) -

Well Europeans seem to be the cannon fodder in these games. Even when the Byzantines were defending themselves and got slaughtered by the Ottomans the Ottomans were made out to be the good guys(except for the ones of European origin who you got to slaughter in droves), ya know Ubisoft is multicultural and all that(aka needs to kiss Islams rear). Dont worry though I'm sure you will kill plenty colonists as well, they have Euro origins.

#6 Posted by vulcan999 (15 posts) -

As always, the Americans always seem to be on the winning side in gaming. To be honest, I don't find many games that even include British. I normally find (surprise, surprise) Americans vs Russians or Americans vs Middle East (e.g. COD, even though I don't buy COD games, except COD5). But those games as far as I know, aren't normally sold in Russia or the Middle East, which makes sense.

Personally, I'm not a fan of Assassin's Creed, but I know the series is popular where I live in the UK. But now I've heard about this upcoming game, I feel that sales aren't going to be good for this game in the UK, however historically true the game will be. I'm just wondering whether this game was a mistake by the makers, commercially.

#7 Posted by Ghost_702 (7405 posts) -
^ Why would it be a mistake? Because it's based on American history as opposed to somewhere in Europe or Asia? There are very VERY few games, if any of note, that let you play through America's early history. It's about time a decent one got made. Also, that was an ignorant statement about Americans being on the winning side, as you no doubt meant it sarcastically. Obviously Americans would be seen as winning in this game since...we did win.
#8 Posted by exiledwolfe (5 posts) -

Why shouldn't Americans get the chance to play a game in this point of their nation's history. I wish my fellow Brits would stop worrying about the portrayal of the British Army in this game, enemy or not they look, as always, really f@#king cool, and we are the most awesome and sophisticated bad guys in the history of the world. And remember, it's just a game, not a Mel Gibson film. Our redcoats are not being portrayed as nazi stormtroopers -Ubisoft wouldn't be so stupid to maginalise UK gamers, who make up a large amount of their customers, and yes, it probubly may have been mis-marketed somewhat, but lets judge it after we get a chance to play it. Chances are the results may well be surprising for everyone.

#9 Posted by slipgraeme (50 posts) -

the main producer is french! hes was probably more then happy to see the brits being killed off all game long ;)

#10 Posted by slipgraeme (50 posts) -

the main producer is french! hes was probably more then happy to see the brits being killed off all game long ;)

#11 Posted by OmenUK (3302 posts) -

It obviously appeals to the Xenophobic nature of Americans, being North American made is just a coincidence.. (n'es pas?)

#12 Posted by exiledwolfe (5 posts) -

Probubly. But I'm going to get through it by imagining that I'm actually killing the French. Or bad American actors pretending to be British.;)

#13 Posted by mkjohns (271 posts) -

Its not based at all on American history. Your history is so pathetic, that they lies have to be placed in or for things to look good. The Spanish French and Dutch all contributed more than the Americans ever did and before you say that there were no Spanish and Dutch troops in America, they invaded parts of the British Empire in Europe and Africa with far more troops than America ever had.

#14 Posted by Danny_1993 (1798 posts) -
I truly don't mean to sound mean or anything here but seriously, the logic in here is just plain stupid on some posts! @vulcan999 "As always, the Americans always seem to be on the winning side in gaming" - It's called the American Revolution, they won the damn War so of course they're going to be on the winning side. Duh. I'm British and don't care who I'm killing in games, because they are games, they aren't real. The person who said they don't think it will sell very well in the UK couldn't be more wrong, it's the climatic game to a thrilling and original series so of course it's going to sell well! To the international users of GS: Please don't take the minority of us Brits who are getting fussy and sensitive about having to kill British Soldiers, they are just that, a minority The game takes part over 30 years, for around 23 of those the War wasn't even going on, so OF COURSE we're seeing a lot of Brits get killed, they're not going to show footage from the final few hours of the game are they? Sheeesh.
#15 Posted by son-of-the-wolf (13 posts) -

its a game based on history, BASED ON!!!!, so what if the game kills british soldiers, the first game you were killing people from england, ie the crusaders, the second game your killing italians and in revelations turks etc, so wtf??? who cares who you kill, no one white complies when you shoot "terrorists" in COD or MOH cause thats ok? the brits arent as innocent as people sadly make out, for example who invented concentration camps..........the britiish, in the good ole colonial days. so who gives a F**K, a games a game, deal with it or dnt play them.

#16 Posted by 360army (46 posts) -

I hope this game is not all about winning. Assassin's Creed 3 looks too easy by the teasres and trailers

#17 Posted by jpnelson82 (94 posts) -

1.) They are wanting to keep the templars within the colonial army secret for now, as they can't tell us everything.

2.) There are few reasons for a lot of templars to even be within the colonists, there is no power in the colonies, no artifacts, and no room to take over without invading the British monarchy.

3.) Assassins and Templars originate over-seas... Templars look for power, Assassin's fight for justice and free-will, there are far more reasons for Assassins to be in the colonies than there are Templars.

4.) Connor is alligned with the colonial army, while he is not directly part of it and he will be killing Templars within the army he believes in the philosophy and supports the idea of freedom and the right to free-will.

5.) The colonial templars are a meant to be more of a surprise, so they aren't telling us about them yet.

Roanark

But the Colonials were lead by Freemasons, the alleged descendents of the Templars, which effectively makes every single one of the "founding fathers," a Templar. Furthermore, they (Templars) had every reason to come to the Colonies, it was the chance for lesser Templars to establish themselves in positions of power, i.e. to promote deserving Templars. They'd have also come just to ensure that the Assassins did not hold sway in this new land. Connor is likely alligned with the Colonial Militia, which is sort of a different thing. The militias were a police and self defense force more than an army, they were made up of individuals who were at heart loyalists, and rebels. Assuming that oh well, if you were a militiaman you're on the side of the rebels is American indoctrination mate.  

#18 Posted by -Y2J- (1000 posts) -
each ac game has one main bad guys from one country, this time its british so who really cares. ubisoft can say waht they want cos they vuilding hype be we know youll genrally be killing redcoats. i'm british and i dont really care.
#19 Posted by -Y2J- (1000 posts) -
each ac game has one main bad guys from one country, this time its british so who really cares. ubisoft can say waht they want cos they vuilding hype be we know youll genrally be killing redcoats. i'm british and i dont really care.
#20 Posted by RedcoatKiller (6 posts) -
Mkjohns-So what its a game and they chose (as far as weve seen) for him to help incite a rebellion because the Colonial army was weak. And is it necessary to call our entire history pathetic? It has lies and other things? Whos history doesnt. Its a human condition not an American one at least those of us like myself who studied the hell out of history know enough about the reality to enjoy being place in this era in a game for once. Vulcan-This game is going to make a ton of money. Brits will buy it because its a game. People buy COD, GTA and a ton of other horrible games. Hell in the Hitman games you can kill US Marines in their dress blues and I think its hilarious and Im an active duty Marine. Its just a game, and it also happened over 300 years ago.... And if youre trying to make a point about many games without Brits sorry, but it makes sense economically considering its the powerhouse economy in the world for sales of games and such. Try taking your problem up with the entire video game industry and not Assassins Creed story writers. And explain why someone would sell a video game to an American audience where Russian take over the world and enslave Americans at the end of the game. Anyway the British in this game invaded the territory they are fighting in any way so theyre not that innocent. And again, everyone is British technically the Americans are just separatists in this game I mean, all in all guys, cant we just enjoy the game and not try to make a political discussion out of it? If they made a game tomorrow where you could play as the Japanese who did the bombing runs and attacks on Pearl Harbor and it was made well, I would play it and not care at all. If there was a game where I could place bombs in a road and wait for American troops to come by and ambush them I would. If it was a FUN. GAME. And ive been on missions and patrols where those bombs were there lol.
#21 Posted by TruSake (315 posts) -

because killing a brit is not much of a loss

#22 Posted by paperwolf (198 posts) -

Too many bitter non-intellectuals preventing me from taking this thread seriously. If someone really has to explain to you what's going on with this game after you've read the thread's first response and you've done a bit of your own research, then you are beyond reason anyway.

#23 Posted by RTHKI (161 posts) -
i think you need to go back to the history books
#24 Posted by ultradude2345 (2309 posts) -

If he believes in free will then he shouldnt be siding with the americans as they took it away from the natives.JamieTow

So did the British. Besides, most of the better known atrocities committed by the Americans against the Natives haven't happened yet. 

#25 Posted by Leeric420 (53 posts) -
If he believes in free will then he shouldnt be siding with the americans as they took it away from the natives.JamieTow
You do realize the natives fought on both sides of that war? There was this thing called the french indian war.
#26 Posted by Leeric420 (53 posts) -

[QUOTE="Roanark"]

jpnelson82

But the Colonials were lead by Freemasons, the alleged descendents of the Templars, which effectively makes every single one of the "founding fathers," a Templar. Furthermore, they (Templars) had every reason to come to the Colonies, it was the chance for lesser Templars to establish themselves in positions of power, i.e. to promote deserving Templars. They'd have also come just to ensure that the Assassins did not hold sway in this new land. Connor is likely alligned with the Colonial Militia, which is sort of a different thing. The militias were a police and self defense force more than an army, they were made up of individuals who were at heart loyalists, and rebels. Assuming that oh well, if you were a militiaman you're on the side of the rebels is American indoctrination mate.  

I hate to break it to you but conspiracy theories aren't historical fact, as in the free masons and how they revolve around the templars. So analyzing a game based on conspiracy theories where the game is based in historical fact while taking some of it own liberties with history your just making a circular argument. It makes you look stupid. You can't have possibly 2 made up things and say, this is how it should be...its a game, not a history book.
#28 Posted by kkushalbeatzz (10 posts) -
its a game, not a history book.Leeric420
Well, the Assassin's Creed games have always been famous for being historically accurate. For example, in the first game, the 9 men Altair was sent to assassinate were based off of people who actually were believed to have "disappeared" at the time.
#29 Posted by Black_Hand_313 (786 posts) -

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/08/02/assassins-creed-iii-anvilnext-engine-trailer

Go to 2:17, he kills a small group of soldiers in blue coats. He kills another later in the trailer. Happy?

I'm an American but I have British ancestry. My great-grandfather served in the British Army during WWI and received the Victoria's Cross. I am disappointed to see some British get so petty over a videogame. Instead of asking for a fair depiction - perhaps seeing Connor work with 'good' Brits as well as Americans - the vast majority cry 'let us kill Yankees!'

#30 Posted by Angeal367 (8 posts) -

http://www.ign.com/videos/2012/08/02/assassins-creed-iii-anvilnext-engine-trailer

Go to 2:17, he kills a small group of soldiers in blue coats. He kills another later in the trailer. Happy?

I'm an American but I have British ancestry. My great-grandfather served in the British Army during WWI and received the Victoria's Cross. I am disappointed to see some British get so petty over a videogame. Instead of asking for a fair depiction - perhaps seeing Connor work with 'good' Brits as well as Americans - the vast majority cry 'let us kill Yankees!'

Black_Hand_313

This guys right, he's killing colonists in this trailer. Its a game based on history. History already happened, re-telling it in a game shouldnt be as big an issue as it is.

#31 Posted by Slinqy (243 posts) -

I think if you have a problem with who you're killing in a game, you need to grow up. It's just a game, not some kind of propaganda. Who holds the power in the colonies before America wins independance? THE BRITISH! If you're an assassin and you're going to be hunting templars in the americas, you're inevitably going to have to kill a few British soldiers. It's nothing personal. If we were playing in France we'd be killing French soldiers, and if in Germany we'd be killing Germans. Besides, the soldiers aren't necessarily "bad guys"; they're just soldiers. The Templars are the bad guys. The soldiers just get in the way because it's their duty. As someone else said, they're not being portrayed as Nazi Stormtroopers.

Not to mention, there'll be a lot of American Templars to kill in ACIII. Everyone was a victim in the Revolution. Hardly any reason in making a big deal about Connor having to kill British soldiers.

#32 Posted by jeffmonkey (8 posts) -

I just watched the Demo for this game. You must kill the British Soldiers, or you cant progree in the game. Not a Templar in sight. Just a case of go over there and kill the Briitish. So dissappointed by this, I will wait for some British reviews before buying this game. Maybe it is just a marketing disaster in the UK, maybe the game is balanced. From what I have seen so far however, it sucks to be British in this game

#33 Posted by Slinqy (243 posts) -
All I can say is, if it bothers you that you're killing your own "kind" in the game, you're being somewhat hypocritical. We had to kill all sorts of people in the other games - Italians, French, Byzantines, and Turks... but now that it's British all of a sudden it's wrong now.
#34 Posted by Black_Hand_313 (786 posts) -

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ph9jn5kRo9k

First Connor cuts the throat of a "bluecoat". Near the end he kills at least a squad of them and walks away from their bodies.

Note that Sequence 6 of the game takes place during the Boston Tea Party, BEFORE the Revolution, so maybe we haven't seen much bluecoat killing because the CONTINENTAL ARMY DOES NOT EXIST AT LEAST HALF THE GAME. There are plenty of clips that show him killing plain-clothed colonists, likely before talk of declaring independence started.

If that's not enough, there's an entire alternate history DLC where George Washington turns evil and crowns himself King. High chance you'll cut through armies of US troops to kill a freakin Founding Father himself.

I know some people will complain no matter what but come on. I'm American and I didn't cry "biased game!" For those who still think it is:

1.) It's not even being made by Americans

2.) If they were so "America **** Yeah" why make Connor half-Native American and begin the game with colonists burning his village?

3.) It's a game. If you're still offended no one's making you buy it

#35 Posted by kAnSaSdUdE (595 posts) -

Absolutely the most pathetic and pointless thread ever made in these forums. Get over it. If it were Americans getting killed the Brit's wouldn't be saying a damn word. This will hardly make a dent in British sales, and the ones who don't buy it because of this are only looking for a reason to protest against something. Hell, I'm American and if I have to kill Colonists in the game, so be it. Die colonists. Big deal.

#36 Posted by Slinqy (243 posts) -
^ Die colonists... lol
#37 Posted by NorwegianFenian (33 posts) -

so a guy with a red hand avatar spitst he dummy out cos brit soldiers get killed. you're beloved british army always were, and are, murderous, racist imperialists

cant wait to slaughter some redcoats

#38 Posted by lduff01 (206 posts) -
how can people be annoyed at this when the character is also half british? i dont get it and as it has been stated many times you are not only killing brits (i am british too)
#39 Posted by maxp84 (389 posts) -

i dont about you but i'd rather side with the americans like george washington any day over the red coats.  they were a tyranical government and wanted 80-90 percent of your wages paid to THEM!! and to worship a KING.  F that.  Any one worth their salt in taking a college U.S. history class would know this.  The brits were the bad guys.  today it's a different story.  today america is unrecognizable.  today our military and police represent what the red coats were. anti freedom, anti liberty, big government collectivists. 

#40 Posted by maxp84 (389 posts) -

and you're not only killing brits.. you're also killing benedict arnolds and collaborators to the kings army.  assassins creed has always been for liberty.  the assasins are guardians to liberty.  who doesn't know this?

#41 Posted by Slinqy (243 posts) -
People who haven't played the game.
#43 Posted by queadin (1 posts) -
I am interested to see how this pans out as the likelihood of even a half Mohawk killing British troops is comical. First the British gave half the continent to Aboriginal people in the Royal proclamation of 1763. This area stretched from the Great Lakes in Canada all the way down to Gulf of Mexico. Although the history books ignore this fact, this was a major contribution to the later war for independence. Remember the term "manifest destiny" well this destiny is taught as the people's will and drive to expand westward, right over the lands of sovereign Aboriginal nations. This move west was done with the gun, and to some extent disease. Now one might ask why the Brits did not help the Aboriginal people of North America? The British was overextended militarily due to the war against Napoleon's French armies back in Europe. Even after the British failed to protect the sovereign lands of these Aboriginal nations they still came to the crown's defense in 1812 when the US invaded Canada. George Washington said that the conquest of Canada would be a "mere matter of marching". Canada would not exist if it were not for the Mohawk people as most of Britain's forces were in Europe protecting the UK from another mad man who though he could conquer the wold and rebuild it as he saw fit. The leader of the many nations of aboriginals that rose up to help defend Canada was Tecumseh, a Shawnee born in what is now Ohio and raised in Indiana. Now if Shawnee from Indiana were taking up arms and heading north to fight with the red coats do you think that the US was treating the Mohawk from near the Great Lakes any better? I love the series and hope that they did not have to stray into a twilight zone version of history to make this story work or to sell this game to a US audience. Ubisoft is a French-Canadian company and have an almost Irish Catholic/Protestant thing going with the rest of Canada so maybe they are trying to make a statement about the relationships between Aboriginals and colonizers.....? All I know is that I showed this to a history professor of Mohawk ancestry and she was like WTF? Some people may not take too kindly to this "kind" of hero either. While many whites might think that having sports teams and weapons named after their people is a compliment, many aboriginal people see it as racist and disrespectful. These compliments have always been two faced as the noble and stalwart Indian warrior was on the other hand considered a warmongering murderous savage. If only these people received some of the advertising revenue their likeness created.
#44 Posted by rogue81 (737 posts) -

Isn't Abstergo Industries (the evil corporation in the series) an evil American company run by the templars? For crying out loud we're getting the part where we kill Americans. The American Revolutionary War is just a quick step on the way there.

Side Notes: 1) For all those claiming this is another example of ignorant Americans making the English look bad, isn't Ubisoft a French company? Go take it up with them.

2) To the OP, you said you don't even play these games so why the hell do you care?

#45 Posted by tom_cat_01 (2187 posts) -

Well, the thing is...

The war was British vs. British anyway: those Brits who wanted to stay part of the British Empire, and those who wanted an independent America. So, technically, during the war, there was no such thing as a American as we define it today.

So...er...this whole argument is kinda moot, as both sides were *technically* British at the time of the war....

So whichever side Connor is on, he's fighting both for AND against British people: either the british who wanted to remain ruled by the British isles, or the British who wanted to schism from the UK and become Amerca....

#46 Posted by CaesarIIII (24 posts) -

haha.. I know this will be a hot topic

The game is base around 1753-1783 ( American Revolution ) at that point in History was no * Americans* they were Colonist from Europe, mostly British.. Was after the * Declaration of Indepenence ( 1776 ) * that the Colonist started to call there self * Americans *.

That is why is only British ( Colonist ) been kill in the game ;)

#47 Posted by 6matt6 (9724 posts) -
I bet the colonists he kills are Templar spies or part of the huge chunk of loyalists that existed at the time. So you're not actually killing 'Americans' but you're killing evil sympathizers.
#48 Posted by mkjohns (271 posts) -

I expect this to be nothing more than a 100% Mel Gibson experience.

I bet the following.

1. The only Americans you kill are spys to the British.

2. The story will sidestep slavery in America, especially the fact the British were trying the end it.

3. The King George will be a templer.

4. The will be no mention towards Spanish, French and Dutch contribution. With the word contribution being generouse towards Americans.

And the excuse they are using that the was more of a civil war with British fighting British is flawed. Why have the creators giving the colonies American accents when they would of had English accents during the time. Its just giving at an American oooo ahhhh affect.

#49 Posted by mkjohns (271 posts) -

I bet the following.

2. The story will sidestep slavery in America, especially the fact the British were trying the end it.

4. The will be no mention towards Spanish, French and Dutch contribution. With the word contribution being generouse towards Americans.

And the excuse they are using that the was more of a civil war with British fighting British is flawed. Why have the creators giving the colonies American accents when they would of had English accents during the time. Its just giving at an American oooo ahhhh affect.

mkjohns

* King George

#50 Posted by Slinqy (243 posts) -

I bet the following.

mkjohns
1. Not confirmed, only assumed. Actually, quite the contrary. Washington will be a target, and from what I hear you'll be helping Benedict Arnold; a traitor to the American cause. 2. Assumed. 3. Confirmed. 4. Assumed. 5. Some may have different accents actually, depending on how far back their family colonized.