Xbox One introduces a manual software update for your controller
You'll need to do a bit of updating before you can use the new Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter.
Customers who have purchased the Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter will be required to manually update their controller, Microsoft has said. That's a first.
The Stereo Headset Adapter is a $24.99/£19.99 peripheral that allows Xbox One owners to use their own chat headset with the Xbox One, and will be released next week in time for Titanfall. But owners will also have to do a bit of tinkering to get it working properly.
Microsoft has detailed a 7-step guide to installing the controller update:
- Make sure your console is on and you’re signed in and connected to Xbox Live. (It’s important to connect to Xbox Live because your console will need the latest system update, which contains the newest controller software. If you’ve connected recently, your Xbox One is probably already up to date, but you should connect anyway just to be sure. If your console needs an update, you’ll be prompted to install one.)
- Plug the Stereo Headset Adapter into the bottom of your controller.
- Plug in a headset (a headset must be plugged in so the adapter will turn on).
- Plug the big end of the included USB cable into the port on the side of the console.
- Instructions to install the update should automatically be displayed. Follow the instructions, and don’t disconnect the USB cable while the update is in progress. (The process can take up to 3 minutes.)
- When the update is complete, unplug the USB cable. If you have additional controllers to update, you can connect them now, one at a time, select the Update another button on the screen, and then follow the steps.
- Press the Xbox button on the wireless controller to turn it on. Your controller is now up-to-date, and you’re ready to use your Xbox One Stereo Headset Adapter.
The controller update arrives alongside the Xbox One March system update, which adds a refined (not terrible) Party Chat mode and new multiplayer functionality.
Microsoft is also hinting that future Xbox One updates will enable support for external storage drives.