A sequel to last month's chart-topping game-focused animated film Wreck-It Ralph may feature iconic Nintendo mascot Mario. Director Rich Moore told MovieHole that he is currently constructing ideas for the next entry, adding that he is dead-set on having Mario play a part.
"We'll really come up with something good for Mario to do [in the next film]," Moore said. "To be able to present him in the sequel would be great."
The filmmaker also elaborated on why Mario was not among the cast for the first film, which included Mario nemesis Bowser, as well as Dr. Robotnik and others. Moore said Mario's absence from the first entry was not due to any rights issue from Nintendo, but rather, he could not find an appropriate place for the portly plumber.
Wreck-It Ralph hit theaters November 2 and earned $49.1 million in United States box office revenue during its debut. It was the top-grossing film in its launch weekend, outpacing Back to the Future and Cast Away director Robert Zemeckis' new film Flight in the number two spot.