New releases have been turning in a steady effort to unseat perennial chart topper World of Warcraft from the top of the NPD Group's weekly US PC chart in recent weeks, but the most noteworthy debut for the week of April 5-April 11 had no such luck. THQ and Relic's Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor debuted on NPD's PC chart in the third slot, and one explanation for its less-than-commanding retail performance could be its tepid critical reception.
World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King perched atop NPD's chart for the week, with fellow sales stalwart The Sims 2 Double Deluxe finishing second. World of Warcraft: Battle Chest--which includes the original massively multiplayer online role-playing game and its first expansion, The Burning Crusade--also turned in a solid performance, filling in the fourth slot.
Sega and The Creative Assembly's Empire: Total War has begun descending the charts, placing fifth, whereas Valve and Turtle Rock Studios' Left 4 Dead resurged to sixth. Starcraft II: Wings of Liberty isn't expected in the near future, but the Starcraft Battle Chest crept back into the charts to finish in the seventh slot. Rounding out the week's NPD chart toppers were The Sims 2 Apartment Life, World of Warcraft, and Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake.
Week of April 5-11, 2009*
TITLE - PUBLISHER - AVERAGE PRICE
1) World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King - Activision Blizzard - $36
2) The Sims 2 Double Deluxe - Electronic Arts - $20
3) Company of Heroes: Tales of Valor - THQ - $29
4) World of Warcraft: Battle Chest - Activision Blizzard - $35
5) Empire: Total War - Sega - $50
6) Left 4 Dead - Electronic Arts - $31
7) Starcraft Battle Chest - Activision Blizzard - $15
8) The Sims 2 Apartment Life - Electronic Arts - $20
9) World of Warcraft - Activision Blizzard - $20
10) Nancy Drew: Ghost Dogs of Moon Lake - Her Interactive - $7
* The above chart reflects the NPD Group's sales data drawn from a cross-sampling of retailers nationwide. Therefore, it does not include game sales through nontraditional channels such as digital distribution.