Tekken film approaching release?

The Tekken film adaptation has been in the works for some time. Word of the project first arrived in February of 2002, when production company Crystal Sky Pictures reportedly secured the rights for $60 million. Two years later the project came up again, this time with Miramax subsidiary Dimension...

by

The Tekken film adaptation has been in the works for some time. Word of the project first arrived in February of 2002, when production company Crystal Sky Pictures reportedly secured the rights for $60 million. Two years later the project came up again, this time with Miramax subsidiary Dimension Films reportedly tied to cofund and distribute the film.

Very little news has surfaced regarding the film in the intervening years, but it seems it hasn't been forgotten about entirely. Film site ComingSoon.net is reporting that Sony Pictures' Screen Gems will now distribute the movie, and has a picture of the film's first teaser poster.

As with most teaser posters, the promo sheet for Tekken doesn't show much other than a metallic T-shaped structure sticking out of the ground and the following ominous (and ellipsis-riddled) text:

After the Great Terror Wars, governments fell...
Seven corporations rose from the ashes to rule all men...
Together they were known as The Iron Fist...
The mightiest of which was...
Tekken

In the same story, ComingSoon.net reports that the film based on Onimusha is set to start shooting in April. No theatrical release window has been announced for either film.

Discussion

209 comments
gmesmster25
gmesmster25

I can't wait for the release of this movie.... What's takin' the trailer too long?? C'mon man screw pictures i want trailer!!!!!

STLDemonix
STLDemonix

All i have to say is... Its about time!

z65nik
z65nik

we just have to wait and see...

Soulja970
Soulja970

This would be very interesting to see if they put all the characters in even from the new game

gamemaster004
gamemaster004

Dang... This is gone be the coldest movie.. Cant wiat 4 onimusha either.. Hollywood better not screw this up!!

Venusplayer
Venusplayer

They wont' screw this up if they pick the right actor/actress. I swear!!!!!

zypexia
zypexia

i cant wait.. surely be watching.. tekken series is among my all time fav fighting games. the older relesed movie sucked but this time im hoping a really blowing one

Gerson84
Gerson84

TEKKEN KOMBAT!!!!! TODODODODODODODOD!!!... nah... it ain't the same

Gerson84
Gerson84

I bet my rooster this one is gonna suck, but well, it is tekken... sorta, count me in for a ticket

bonik
bonik

95% Chance FAIL 5% Chance Best game movie ever. Don't hold your breath guys

jimmarn
jimmarn

Could this be like the Cartoon? about Kazuya... Hope it's in 3D tho... i think Real Char's would ruin their image... omg just imagine they'r hairstyle :O

makkina360
makkina360

If they can't make this a better live action movie, they should stick with 3D and CG...and never mess with the storyline. The game movies in the Tekken series are quite good, and can make it as a full length movie. I'm a Tekken fan, and I am hoping they will not make this horrible to disgrace the whole Tekken concept.

makkina360
makkina360

I hope this will be good...if they'll make this Tekken Movie like Transformers The Movie. Maybe director Michael Bay & Steven Spielberg can make this pretty good than that of DOA, SF, and MK...And I wish they don't mess up with the storyline. Let's just hope for the best.

PrinceFX
PrinceFX

hmmm.......id luv 2 see who plays jin. dt guy would be a superhero !!!!!

darkPSPfan
darkPSPfan

it might be cool if theyd make an 3d animated movie

jusmurph
jusmurph

This will be funny for all the wrong reasons.

AngelicStorm
AngelicStorm

This is an excellent movie idea, to make Tekken 1-6 into a movie. (The storyline is out of this world.) I can only see the movie being good if it is done in the same style of Advent Children or something though. I don't want to see cosplay-looking actors running around and trying to fight like the characters.

Dmoney360
Dmoney360

Im pretty sure that it's going to be a great movie because tekken is like the best fighting game this genaration even people that don't like any of the tekken games have to agree with that...Most likely it's going to be good so all of you people that's thinking it's going to suck screw you!!!

4105462786
4105462786

Yeah! Finally a Tekken movie! :D

ry-an-ime
ry-an-ime

cg or nufin 4 me if they used real people it would end up terrible!!!!

R-Force
R-Force

They better not screw this is up!

ninjarat
ninjarat

Can't wait to see this, I just hope they make it faithful to the game.

solidsnakeguru
solidsnakeguru

kool i love tekken so i cant wait till this comes out i just hope its not 2 d fighting lol

Cbordi
Cbordi

sweet.. im really looking forward to this :D

tat_the_freak
tat_the_freak

Wow. This is the first news I've heard of it. ^^ I sure hope it'll be as good as Mortal Kombat was!

salmangoku
salmangoku

Omg can't wait for this game I've been waiting for this game since i beat Tekken 5.

kakashijd
kakashijd

If that happens then they better pick some good azz characters. especially my favorite person Gin.

MARKNP
MARKNP

What! drugs! no way! well i suppose he can turn into a devil

monk12345
monk12345

Jin takes drugs in this movie D:

Kicherunner
Kicherunner

If Hwoarang is in this movie, this could be great. I hope the Kangorou will be there too.

NinjaMunkey01
NinjaMunkey01

I dont really think that tekken will make a good movie. It could just ruin the series. If you wanna watch a movie with good fight scenes watch a Jet li move. Or maybe jackie chan. Other fighting movies are obsolete...

Nawras
Nawras

Mortal Kombat movies sucked, Street Fighter got a little better...DoA movie got a tad better. Now Tekken... I think when they make a Soul Calibur film they'd realize you can't make make a really good movie out of the genre.

ReelzReporter
ReelzReporter

OMFG.....check this out the teaser poster for SouLCalibur...Found what appears to be a TEASER poster from the SoulCalibur movie over at the company who's handling its website www.2nddegreemedia.com The poster can be found over at: http://www.fightersgeneration.com/newspics/scmovie-2.jpg As well as an image from the company's Japanese press kit: http://www.fightersgeneration.com/newspics/ivy9-japanese-web-poster.jpg Props to SoulCalibur team. Wonder who's directing and why IMDB doesn't have anything on the Soul Project.

Mujambo
Mujambo

I'll probably see this, but not in theatres. Games that have turned into movies haven't done too well

ark_of_light
ark_of_light

IS better to watch a bad tekken movie then a none existing movie so i encourage all the great games to be made in movies just one thing go with a good buget pick good actors that look as the main characters and FOR FK SAKE LET THE MAN THAT DID THE GAME MAKE THE MOVIE not some lowbies that don't even know what the game is all about. So in the end we wait for WOW, MGS, Tekken and Onimusha movies and keep ur fist up and pray to be good. Best game adaptation RESIDENT EVIL MILLA RULES and a new story and character also. And that sucker who thinks TEKKEN is a computer game get a console man u are overated and play some good games. CONSOLE MEANS A PLAYSTATION not some fruitty consoles like nintendo and xbox

Outer_Raven
Outer_Raven

If they make yoshimitsu and the others tekken fighters right and maybe it's worth seeing it.

X_CAPCOM_X
X_CAPCOM_X

A Metal Gear Solid movie, and a Tekken movie; that is awesome. There was already a Hong Kong film that took characters and storyline from Tekken. I think it was called Avenging Fist. They got sued big time.

Alacard_Omalley
Alacard_Omalley

it could be the next MK but it could also be the next DOA >_> lol wasnt that straight to video?

fosterscheese
fosterscheese

I think this would make a good movie. And, I'm assuming Paul Phoenix, Lei Wulong, Nina Williams and Marshal Law will be the main focus? I wonder if it is going to be real life, or animated?

dante_H2
dante_H2

If they gonna make this movie in 3D, that's very good. like FFVII Advent Children. But if they gonna make the real move it not be a good move. like ResidentEvil & Doom & ....

don_bidarian
don_bidarian

i dont know why they love to screw games? why they love to make live-action movies? i think tis better they make an animation of the game. like final fantasy. its way better than making a live-action movie. im sure the movie gonna suck. i just hope it doesnt suck like MK or DOA.

canabis93
canabis93

i hope will be a good mivie, if it is i'll by it as soon it comes out too the market ;)

MXVIII
MXVIII

Dude The First Mortal Kombat was frieking awesome. It was an excellent adaptation for a fighter to film movie. I could not see it ever being better, It was true to the characters, the rules, and they even made a fleshed out story of a subtle not so apparant one in the game. Now the sequel sucked so hard it almost makes the first one look bad, but for what it was at that time period. Yeah Id watch it again.