Sony Interactive Studios America is wasting no time in putting together a tournament for its multiplayer tank-battle game Tanarus.
In fact, that tournament starts next weekend.
Sony is asking registered Tanarus teams to register their top two players for competition in a two-on-two team tourney (single players can also sign up for a one-on-one tournament) that starts Friday, Feb. 6 and runs throughout the weekend.
There are a couple of catches, though. Sony has laid down the following ground rules for the tourney:
1) The team captain only must submit the name of the two players who will represent his team. Entries from anyone besides the team captain are not eligible. No exceptions.
2) These two players must belong to the same team as the captain who submitted their names.
3) The two duelers must be paired for the entire weekend - No substitutions allowed.
If, after reading those stipulations, you want to participate in the tournament, Sony asks that (as long as you are a team captain) you:
1) Send e-mail to email@example.com. Put TOURNAMENT in the subject field.
2) Provide the handles of the two players who will represent your team in the body of your message.
3) Provide the email address of the two representative players.
If you meet Sony's requirements, you and your partner will get a message back saying you're signed up. (One-on-one players and team players must all be registered with Tanarus.)
The deadline for the team captain's e-mail is noon Pacific Time, Thursday, Feb. 5. Once Sony has gotten all the teams registered, it will issue a schedule of match times to participating teams.
Prizes for both two-on-two and one-on-one competition include: for first place - a PlayStation console with Gameday '98, Crash Bandicoot 2, and Cool Boarders 2 games; for second place - copies of Gameday '98 and Crash Bandicoot 2; and for third place - a copy of Cool Boarders 2.