Square Enix has conducted a "comprehensive review" of all work-in-progress games, the Final Fantasy and Tomb Raider publisher announced today as part of its latest earnings report.
"In response to the latest environmental changes in the game industry, the Group has implemented a change in its development policy, and conducted a comprehensive review on work-in-progress game titles," the company said in a statement.
As a result of this, Square Enix will book an loss on evaluation of content of approximately ¥1.6 billion ($16.3 million) as an "extraordinary loss." The company first announced this then-expected loss in March.
For the April-June quarter ended June 30, Square Enix's Digital Entertainment business posted net sales of ¥11.6 billion ($118.2 million). Sales of console games were "weak" due to no release of new major titles, the company said. At the same time, however, content for browsers and smartphones was "making smooth progress," Square Enix said.
Overall, Square Enix posted a loss of ¥493 million for quarter ($5.02 million), better than the ¥2.07 billion ($21.08 million) loss posted this time last year. Revenue for the quarter was ¥24.1 billion ($245 million), compared to ¥24.9 billion ($253.6 million) last year.
Of note, Square Enix's list of upcoming games (below) does not include 2014's Murdered: Soul Suspect. A Square Enix representative told GameSpot, "Murdered remains on track for a 2014 release. We have not announced a specific launch date yet. The list at the link below only includes titles shipping through March 2014."