Sucker Punch's Infamous: Festival of Blood will go down as one of the top-selling pieces of PlayStation Network content this year, given that it set a record for fastest-selling digital PlayStation 3 game. Sony is also giving indies their due, announcing today the best-selling independently developed PSN games of 2011.
In a post to the PlayStation Blog, Sony issued two separate top 10 lists, one for SCEA-published games and one for those self-published by third parties. Of those published by Sony, Q-Games' PixelJunk Shooter 2 came out on top, having seen first release in March 2011.
Not all top releases were from this year, however, as evidenced by 2009's Fat Princess and Flower landing in second and third, respectively. Sony's fourth-best-selling game, the Playlogic-developed Aquatopia, dates back even further, to 2007.
Third-party self-published games were decidedly more recent. Playdead's Limbo topped the chart, followed by 2010's Castle Crashers. Creat Studios' under-the-radar Test Yourself Psychology finished third, followed by Marvel Pinball and Worms 2: Armageddon.
Sony did not reveal unit sales or revenue figures for any of the titles. Both best-selling indie game lists can be found in full below.
Top 10 Best-Selling PSN Games of 2011- SCEA-Published Indies
Name / Developer
1. PixelJunk Shooter 2 / Q-Games
2. Fat Princess / Titan Studios
3. Flower / ThatGameCompany
4. Aquatopia / Playlogic Entertainment
5. Hustle Kings / VooFoo Studios
6. Eat Them! / FluffyLogic
7. Top Darts / Devil’s Details
8. Super Stardust HD / Housemarque
9. Linger in Shadows / Plastic
10. Rag Doll Kung Fu / Qi Studios
Top 10 Best-Selling Indie PSN Games of 2011 - Third-Party Self-Published
Name / Developer
1. Limbo / Playdead
2. Castle Crashers / The Behemoth
3. Test Yourself Psychology / Creat Studios
4. Marvel Pinball / Zen Studios
5. Worms 2: Armageddon / Team 17
6. Dungeon Defenders / Trendy Entertainment
7. Armageddon Riders / Targem Games
8. Braid / Number None Inc.
9. Under Siege / Seed Studios
10. Hamsterball / TikGames