Ouya today announced a new $1 million developer fund that will match funding for new games through Kickstarter provided the titles are exclusive to the platform for at least six months.
The new fund will match 100 percent of total funds raised up to $250,000 from Kickstarter campaigns that must conclude by August 10, 2014. All projects must adhere to Ouya's submission guidelines.
A full list of rules is below:
- Game projects must launch on Kickstarter on or after August 9, 2013, and conclude by August 10, 2014.
- Games must meet their Kickstarter funding goal and raise a minimum of $50,000 to be eligible for matching.
- Once successfully funded via Kickstarter, OUYA will match 100% of the total funds raised up to $250,000.
- Game creators must make their game exclusive on OUYA for a minimum of six months beginning on the date the title becomes available for download on OUYA.
- And, for the game that raises the most via Kickstarter by the end of the program, the developer will earn an additional $100,000 Rock Star bonus from OUYA.
In addition, Ouya will not provide matching funds all at once. Twenty-five percent will be given when a Kickstarter campaign concludes, 50 percent when the title launches on Ouya, and the final 25 percent after the six-month Ouya-exclusive period is over.
More information about Ouya's new developer fund is available at the Free the Games Fund website.
The $99 Android-powered Ouya launched last month to the public and quickly sold out, though the microconsole is again readily available.