Grab some free Hearthstone cards if you buy Diablo 3: Reaper of Souls

Please be Ragnaros, Please be Ragnaros, Please be Ragnaros...

Anyone buying a copy of Diablo III expansion Reaper of Souls next week will get an additional bonus inside the box: free Hearthstone cards.

Standard editions of the game will come with one pack, while the digital deluxe edition and retail collector's edition will feature three.

A single pack of Hearthstone cards works out to about $1.49 and features five cards, selected by random, with at least one coming in at Rare quality or higher. If you're particularly lucky you'll pick up an Epic or Legendary card. If you're incredibly lucky you'll get a Ragnaros and everyone on Battle.net will hate you.

How do you get them? Digital editions of the game will deliver the card packs straight into your account, while retail editions will feature redeemable codes in the box. Worst case scenario, it might give you something to do if the Diablo 3 servers collapse

A maximum of five packs can be redeemed to a single Battle.net account, Blizzard adds.

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls will be released on March 25.

Written By

Hi! I'm Martin, for some reason or another I have managed to convince the people who run GameSpot that I am actually wor

Want the latest news about Diablo III?

Diablo III

Diablo III

Discussion

43 comments
megakick
megakick

Blizzard had smart marketing strategy...

Surprised more publishers don't do this.

Buy Uncharted get free DLC for Killzone.

Dark_Rage
Dark_Rage

I can't believe that i can't play Diablo 3, i bought the original PC DVD, and when i put it to install, it downloads a lot from the internet, it showed me that whole 12 GB something will be downloaded during installation even with a DVD!?. And my ISP has a weekly download limit on my connection, so i can't download the whole game. I guess the limit is 10-13 GB per week. Does anyone know if Diablo 3 downloads the WHOLE 12 GB or downloads like 7-8 GB and rest it gets from the DVD?.

Jah_Glow
Jah_Glow

WARNING: Blizzard Trolls on patroll.

ACMC85
ACMC85

LOL, While it is becoming a better game. I learned my lesson, server issues, RMAH, bad randomization and poor item drops might have been fixed, but it's going to take more to convince me than a few cards.

jimmy_russell
jimmy_russell

Diablo was really fun. I lost interest in it after the RMAH, though.

Vexov
Vexov

F2P bs, painfully slow to play it F2P, Pay2play is more like it. Its "F2P" and patiently waits to hook you so you end up burning cash into it, next thing people know is that they spent $100+ for digital cards, LOL!. Then expansions come out(which really isn't anything but just some more card art work and you burn more money, and it continues. A nice lil game that should have just sold for $20.

chibi-acer
chibi-acer

No thanks, I'm done with D3.  Free cards won't convince me to come back.


Even with the 2.0 revamp, the gameplay is too monotonous.  I almost bought the expansion just to see how the story ends up, but given their track record there's an 80% chance it will just end in disaster, with a 20% chance of tragedy.  Maybe when it's on sale for < $20.

mr_tootsie
mr_tootsie

Ha I pulled a Ragnaros out of my first pack and then DE'd him for the dust. :p

mmagula1
mmagula1

Giving Something As A Gift For Purchasing Something You Were Going to Purchase Anyways! AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

Bli$$ard = Son of Sam!!!

bluefox755
bluefox755

So much internet rage, lol. What's the problem? It's free cards. You don't want them, don't redeem them.

HIT3kNology
HIT3kNology

This is what I love about Activision/Blizzard, they know how to manipulate the lemmings into buying their games. Feel bad for the muppets in world of warcraft who spent thousands on TCG cards to obtain the vanity loot.

1wikkid1
1wikkid1

This is something that's been bothering me about the way Blizz go about their business lately. Everything they release is tied in with their current products... preorder D3 get a WoW pet, buy SC2 get a D3 something or other. I don't really care either way to be honest since I haven't bought any of their products since WC3, but if I was to buy this D3 thing while not having any interest in HS I'd feel like I partially wasted my money, I'm getting stuff that I paid for but not planning on ever using. 

And yes, I'm well aware that it says "free", but if you're required to pay in order to get it that's not exactly the definition of free.

randomkidlol
randomkidlol

I dont see any other way to move this game off the shelves.

enoslives7
enoslives7

Fuck off Acti-blizzard! You assholes are getting worse than EA.

Michael1571
Michael1571

After Diablo 3 being one of the most disappointing games in video game history, people will pay full game price for the expansion just to get a rare Hearthstone card? What are the guys in Blizzard smoking these days? Maybe the money they got from 15.000.000 copies of Diablo 3 they sold till today. I can't get it really. Everyone seems to hate Diablo 3 for being such a casual, colorful and simplistic offspring of a legendary title. Everyone hates having to be online while playing solo. Everyone hates todays Blizzard for their demise. Then why did Diablo 3 sold 15.000.000 copies? Why do 7+ million people still bother themselves with Warcraft? Path of Exile and Van Helsing are much better games than Diablo but it is Blizzard that gets our money. Seriously WHY?

nurnberg
nurnberg

Paying for virtual cards is so stupid.  With real cards at least, you have resale value.

nazgoroth
nazgoroth

It's bullshit like this that drove me away from blizzard.

Also 40 euro's here. (55 dollars) 89 euro's for the collectors edition.

So fuck that with a rake.

kukumav
kukumav

wow lemme buy that 40 euros expansion pack right away...not.

weggierie
weggierie

@Dark_Rage  I think it will download the whole 12gb, I purchased the Digital Download version and my download is 25gb in size, sucks I know :(

jenovaschilld
jenovaschilld

@ACMC85  ME and a few friend had a painfully bad experience the first few days of D3, I will just wait and see, check reviews and most probably buy the console version (because of lack of offline mode or lack of LAN mode). Me and 3 friends couldn't group together for 2 weeks because of lag, drops, and other issues- and we were literally in the same room the first few days and could not all group with each other just to play the pve story mode. 

I would encourage everyone to wait and see. 

bobbo888
bobbo888

@chibi-acer  I don't think one pack of cards was meant to sway you into a purchase... What is "their" track record? If you're talking about Blizzard, you're wrong. They've made some of the greatest and most popular games ever.

grasu
grasu

@mmagula1 It's a ****ing CARD game. The game itself is just a platform, the real deal are the cards.

Frostbite24
Frostbite24

@1wikkid1  

Hearthstone is free to play. How are you required to pay for anything when redeeming these free cards for a free to play game? Hmm?

Barighm
Barighm

@enoslives7 Since they bought their freedom from Zenimax, there are far few personalities between Blizzard and Kotick.

BaDMantra
BaDMantra

@Michael1571  the 15kk copies + 7kk in consoles, is the overall sales for the first Diablo fiasco in where we all were disspointed I would love to see those numbers now, I will dare say 2, or perhaps 3kk copies + another 3 on consoles.


To me they are desperate to raise those numbers and to bring more people to give their games a second chance, this is a very decisive point for them and will outline the future of the company in were I hope they get humble to the ground and have that experience teach their suits that they need more creativity and less cow milking money Technics.

1wikkid1
1wikkid1

@nurnberg  Doesn't apply here, Hearthstone is a card *collecting* game, not card *trading* like WoWTCG. So all Hearthstone cards are essentially worthless, you can't trade them or sell them, you could "disenchant" them but that's essentially throwing it out. 

mmagula1
mmagula1

@nazgoroth  You are very passionate about receiving slightly fewer digital trading cards. 

mikegamer
mikegamer

@kukumav  Seriously? 40 euros for the expansion? Here in Brazil is 79,90 reais, around 25 euros.

chibi-acer
chibi-acer

@bobbo888 @chibi-acer  I was specifically referring to the story in Diablo.  In every game/expansion the story ends in tragedy or some kind of horrific evil being unleashed.


I'm sure the game itself will still be successful.

1wikkid1
1wikkid1

@Frostbite24 @1wikkid1  Are you serious or just a failtroll? You have to buy D3:RoS, it's in the title of the article ffs, not like you have to read the whole thing or anything.

jinzo9988
jinzo9988

@mmagula1 @1wikkid1@Frostbite24Especially when the free cards are valued at a buck fifty.  Blizzard is awfully stingy with this bit of cross-promotion but I can't blame them.  It's smart marketing.

mmagula1
mmagula1

@1wikkid1 @Frostbite24  Yes, but odds are gifting free intangible trading cards wasn't intended to get you purchase a 40 dollar expansion you weren't other wise interest in buying, but instead a pleasant gimmick to get you to try their free CCG.


YOU MOOOOOOOOOOOOOORON!!!!!