For years now, GameSpot has offered a paid membership service that gave subscribers additional benefits such as ad-free browsing over regular users. Over the years, the specifics of this service has changed significantly, and after much internal debate we must regretfully inform you that we will be ending the acceptance of new subscribers effective immediately and ceasing subscription renewals as of January 31, 2013.
We offer our most heartfelt thanks to each and every one of you who has supported us with a paid subscription over the years. Please review the FAQ below for answers to what we believe your most common questions will be.
Why are you ending the paid subscription service?
When this service first debuted, it offered paid subscribers a substantial set of benefits, including magazine subscriptions, discounts at game retailers, ad-free browsing, access to HD video, and more. Over the years, these benefits have slowly evaporated as the result of changes to our business partnerships or in an effort to remain competitive.
The subscription service that we offer today is but a shadow of what it once was--we feel that we are doing a disservice to our users by keeping it active as it is, and frankly, this has been a long time coming.
While we currently have no plans to resurrect and reinvent our paid subscription service in the future, if there is enough user demand for us to do so we may reconsider.
I am currently a Total Access or GameSpot Plus subscriber. What does this mean for me?
Short answer: you will continue to receive all of your account benefits until your subscription term expires.
Longer answer: it depends on when your account subscription term expires. January 31, 2013 is the last day that we will be automatically billing you for your next subscription period, so:
- If your billing cycle ends on or before January 31, 2013, you will receive one final charge for your membership. Your benefits will continue until your subscription term expires. Monthly subscriptions will end no later than February 28, 2013, and yearly subscriptions will end no later than January 31, 2014.
- If your billing cycle ends after January 31, 2013, your benefits will continue until your subscription term expires.
I received a Total Access account as part of my Giant Bomb subscription. What does this mean for me?
Your complimentary Total Access account status is good for the period of one year following the date it was activated, and will remain in effect until it expires.
What will happen to subscriber benefits? Will they be made available to free users?
Some of the subscriber benefits will indeed be carried over to our free users beginning January 31, 2013! This includes:
- HD 720p downloads
- The ability to create a user-created forum board
- The ability to select a color for user names in forum boards
Benefits including access to exclusive GameSpot events, prize contests, and high-speed downloads are already available to free users. Others not mentioned will be expiring along with your paid subscriptions.
I would like to end my paid subscription now. How can I do this?
- To deactivate automatic account billing, all you need to do is go here and confirm. You will continue to receive your subscriber benefits until your account naturally expires.
- If you would like to cancel your account more immediately (thus ending your subscriber benefits) and receive a refund on the unused portion, you will need to file a customer service request.