On Tuesday night, BBC radio and television personality Jonathan Ross inadvertently found himself under the ever-feared gamers microscope. Posting on Twitter from the 2009 British Academy of Film and Television Arts video game awards ceremony, Ross said that he had been "asked to do voice in Fable 3," sparking an Internet firestorm over the possibility that Lionhead Studios was already at work on a follow-up to the 2008 Xbox 360-exclusive Fable II. Ross later posted a retraction to his original statement, making a desperate plea for help in the process.
Today, Microsoft responded to the furor surrounding Ross' Twitter escapades. "We have no agreement in place with Ross to work on forthcoming projects," the Microsoft representative told GameSpot. "That said, it is true that we are not yet done with Fable II. We are working on additional content for Fable II. That's all we can say for now. We will have more to share soon!"
On its development blog, Lionhead also confirmed that it is working on additional downloadable content for Fable II. Following a short delay, the first Fable II DLC was released for 800 Microsoft points ($10) in January. As detailed in GameSpot's Reviews Blog, the add-on introduced the fabled Knothole Island--a once-tropical region now mysteriously encased in snow--extending the well-received role-playing game's storyline by several hours.
Lionhead also provided a brief sales update on Fable II, saying the game has now sold 2.6 million units. A month after its release, Microsoft announced that Fable II had officially become the "fastest-selling RPG on the Xbox 360," thanks to first-month sales of 1.5 million units.