Civilization V rises in September

Next game in Firaxis' turn-based strategy franchise debuts on PC in North America September 21, around the world three days later.

It's a rare occasion when a civilization's birth can be pinned down to a single day, but that's exactly what 2K Games did today. The publisher announced that Sid Meier's Civilization V will launch in North America on September 21, with international releases following on September 24.

Ooooo, Civilization V is looking very hexy.

The latest installment in the decades-old PC turn-based strategy franchise features a number of changes to the established formula. For example, the game is being built on an all-new engine, and for the first time, the series will move to a hexagonal playfield grid. Developer Firaxis has also overhauled the game's combat system and introduced ranged bombardment options, animated world leaders who speak in their own languages, and a built-in community hub allowing players to swap scenarios and other content without leaving the game.

Civilization V will also incorporate much of Valve's Steamworks functionality. With Valve's development tools, Civilization V will include features such as auto-updating, Steam Achievements, downloadable content, and multiplayer matchmaking. Further tying the game to Steam, those who preorder the regular or Digital Deluxe edition of Civilization V through the downloadable storefront will be offered the Cradle of Civilization Map Pack: Mesopotamia add-on for free. Included in the map pack will be new territory to explore in the Fertile Crescent, from the Nile River to the Tigris and Euphrates river valleys.

For more on Civilization V, check out GameSpot's previous coverage.

Got a news tip or want to contact us directly? Email news@gamespot.com

Did you enjoy this article?

Sign In to Upvote

89 comments
JimmyJimJim
JimmyJimJim

@ rbzs_abba WOW, Other than the fact they both have historical figures and nations the games aren't even comparable. Way to sound obtuse

Anicsin
Anicsin

They should put hungarians in :P but anyway i'm looking forward to play with it

collingtonuk
collingtonuk

don't order it though steam, it will come out later than the boxed version and will likely cost more.

HappyBB
HappyBB

Man, Steam looks more and more involved with game development.

ChameleonicGR
ChameleonicGR

I would love to know who the new additions to leaders there are.

arezina
arezina

@manolo126 A melee horse destroy a tank... uhm... Have you ever seen Indiana Jones and the Last Cruzade? eheheheh Regards, Rezina

rbzs_abba
rbzs_abba

his is ok but total war is so much better especially as shogun total war 2 is being made

metalkid9
metalkid9

@manolo126, it's called will power ;)

DrEvilKoala
DrEvilKoala

@Vambran My PC won't be able to play it either but I'd rather wait until I get a new PC than play some stupid console port. @manolo126 Personally I don't care if a melee unit destroys a thank. Civ is low on realism. But if you play Civ IV with its expansions (I'm assuming you didn't) you'll notice that this almost never happens. And when it does happen it's justified.

Vambran
Vambran

I love civ games but my PC is about 7 years too old to play this now. Console port later on would be great.

toyota22
toyota22

I hope they improve the fighting in this game How could that melee horse unit destroy a TANK?!? I agree on that.. but you didnt get the patch?

toyota22
toyota22

cant wait for this game:)

manolo126
manolo126

I hope they improve the fighting in this game How could that melee horse unit destroy a TANK?!?

profstrange
profstrange

now I can count down the day before its release let me see.....only 101 days left arrg!!! That is too long!!!! I want it now!!!

DarknautXXX
DarknautXXX

Don't see the difference hexagons will make(I always turn the grid off). Other than that the game looks promising

uberjannie
uberjannie

@silverdoe : Steam is the best solution to prevent piracy. Plus steam has great community features and on top of it all easy DLC implementation (Not always a good thing, just look at railworks).

Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Hexcellent, man that was really bad. Anyway the game sounds like fun, love this series.

silverdoe
silverdoe

This game used Steamworks for retail. I'll pass! =.=

Hemzo
Hemzo

Looks pretty cool :)

metalkid9
metalkid9

@Gelugon_baat, If there is a 80% chance of your unit winning, it doens't mean the 20% chance of them losing is gonna disappear. The 20% chance of loss is still gonna be there so I have no idea what you're talking about.

Signal2Noise
Signal2Noise

Still waiting for that elusive Alpha Centauri II announcement from Sid & Co.

VarietyMage
VarietyMage

I guess I can't use my keyboard for movement anymore. Time to prepare for carpal tunnel, since I can't use both hands anymore. This game had better not require an active internet connection to play, either. I want offline patches like Civ has had for the past 10 years. Why re-download the patches every time I clean off my hard drive? What a waste of time. I'm waiting for a review on this one, even though I bought all of the previous Civ games. Radical change in interface = possible radical change in gameplay = brand uncertainty = substantial possibility of bad experience. Not good.

postmanmanman
postmanmanman

Ah, Gamespot. News on the cutting edge of several months ago.

gwailo2470
gwailo2470

@ Gelugon If you don't select the option to set a new random seed in the custom game option, every time you reload the fight, you'll have the same result.

FlashCharge
FlashCharge

Steam is not my favorite but maybe this time it will do civilization justice.

MehowPwned
MehowPwned

Can't wait hope they improved the diplomacy and other stuff

Stesilaus
Stesilaus

Oh ****. I've only begun to scratch the surface of "Beyond the Sword"! :(

thestrateger
thestrateger

After the summer holiday?!?! why?!? - never mind, I'll just die here till it comes...

parrot_of_adun
parrot_of_adun

@rsylvester In the past 5 years, they've only released one full civ game (which by some people's definition, wasn't a true civ game). Unless ofcourse you count 2 expansions as overkill.

THRRRPT
THRRRPT

"Hell yea jus wen i almost get uninterrested in 1 of em dey make a new nd betta 1" wat...

DeathsHead419
DeathsHead419

Looks pretty cool, I just hope that combat overhaul is good thing. Stacking defensive units to guard attacking units has been my standard tactic for four games now, and it will be odd having to reinvent my tactics. Still, hopefully they concentrate on Civ IV biggest flaw: the lack of size. Civ 4 just seemed a bit on the small side. I want to rule world-spanning empires like I did in Civ's II & III. Now what might be an interesting new adition would be to creat custom civilizations. And I mean truly cosomizable, like from city design and names.

honglong17
honglong17

so my favourite game of all time has return, great new

punkpunker
punkpunker

at least no more stack of doom :D

darth_rage
darth_rage

i hope they put it in satnd-alone website instead of facebook. that way they can attract more player.

JasonGamer101
JasonGamer101

Hell yea jus wen i almost get uninterrested in 1 of em dey make a new nd betta 1

stziggy
stziggy

@rsylvester You're absolutely right. We need a Alpha Centuri 2! One of the all time greatest games of all time should not be kept silent.

rsylvester
rsylvester

Firaxis really needed to make Alpha Centuri 2. It's been Civilization overkill the last five years. Great game, but come on.

Racer_XLR
Racer_XLR

One of my most anticipated titles of the year gets a release date. I am very pleased. Now to get some sleep, cause I won't be getting much once the 21st hits.

SolanOcard
SolanOcard

I never played 3 or 4, but I enjoyed Activisions Civilization: Call to Power and still play it, along with the original colonization (but not the new one using the civ 4 engine). i have to say, the DRM on the last game scares me away from this franchise. but lord, do I want to play it!

KayHangman
KayHangman

Can't wait to jump into Civ5, but I'd love to hear some details on a boxed collector/limited edition to see what they're tossing in.

Gladestone1
Gladestone1

Another civ game looking forward, to add it to my collection of civ games..Own every one since the day the series started..Cant wait to try bombardment out..sept will be here quicker than you can blink..CIv 4 is still a lot of fun years later..Hope Nemoy is back as the voice he did a great job...

parrot_of_adun
parrot_of_adun

@green_dominator It very likely won't. civ5 is going to be of the complex variety of civ games, and 2K likely knows how poorly such games sell on consoles.

green_dominator
green_dominator

Civ-Rev rocked, I hope Civ 4 ends up on consoles later......