With Civilization: Beyond Earth just over two months away, publisher 2K has announced the bonus that will be available to those who preorder, as well as a new bundle that promises to have a huge amount of content.
By preordering the game--it's now available for purchase through Steam, among other places--you'll receive the Exoplanets Map Pack. This pack consists of six custom maps for you to play on that were "inspired by real-world exoplanets." These will be different each time you play on them, as the layout of planets is randomized at the beginning of each game. 2K's descriptions of the six exoplanets follow below:
- Kepler 186f: This lush forest planet is one of the oldest known Earth-like planets.
- Rigil Khantoris Bb: Orbiting the closest star to the solar system, the historical records of this arid continental planet's settlement are well-preserved.
- Tau Ceti d: This planet of seas and archipelagos features a booming biodiversity and a wealth of resources.
- Mu Arae f: Tidally locked in orbit around a weak star, the southern hemisphere of this planet is a blistering desert where the sun never sets, while the northern hemisphere is perpetually in frozen darkness.
- 82 Eridani e: An alien world of scarce water and wracked by tectonic forces.
- Eta Vulpeculae b: A mysterious new discovery with unknown terrain.
Unlike your standard preorder, retailers like Steam charge you at the time of order, making this a pre-purchase (as opposed to, say, a $5 deposit) depending upon where you buy the game.
If you're new to the series and you're not content with only purchasing Beyond Earth, 2K today announced the Civilization: Beyond Earth Classics Bundle. This consists of Beyond Earth and three previous Civilization games: Civilization III Complete, Civilization IV, and Civilization V. As any Civ fan can tell you, any one of these three games has the potential for countless hours of gameplay; this bundle collectively has the potential to keep you busy for a very, very long time.