2K Boston and 2K Australia better make some more room on the fireplace mantel. The studios' jointly developed aquatic shooter BioShock has already taken home Game of the Year honors from the British Academy of Film and Television Arts and Spike TV's Video Game Awards. And in addition to being nominated for the same prize at the upcoming Interactive Achievement Awards and the 8th Annual Game Developers Choice Awards, the game has now laid claim to yet another Game of the Year award.
The Game Critics Awards expanded its charge beyond the realm of the Electronic Entertainment Expo this week by bestowing its inaugural Game of the Year award to BioShock. As the name implies, the awards were chosen by a panel of 36 gaming journalists.
Each panel member was asked to create a list of the top 10 games of the year, and to assign each of them between 5 and 30 points, with a total of 100 points to split between the nominees. BioShock culled a total of 464 points from the judges, putting it well ahead of the second-place finisher, The Orange Box, which netted 387 points.
The Game Critics Awards' top 10 games of 2007 (and the total number of points each received) are as follows:
10. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune for the PlayStation 3 (87 points)
9. Assassin's Creed for the Xbox 360 and PS3 (88 points)
8. God of War II for the PlayStation 2 (103 points)
7. Mass Effect for the Xbox 360 (213 points)
6. Halo 3 for the Xbox 360 (232 points)
5. Super Mario Galaxy for the Wii (323 points)
4. Rock Band for the Xbox 360 and PS3 (349 points)
3. Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare for the PS3, Xbox 360, and PC (361 points)
2. The Orange Box for the PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 (387 points)
1. BioShock for the PC and Xbox 360 (464 points)