2K Games announced today the Borderlands 2 $100,000 Loot Hunt, an upcoming event that offers in-game and real-world prizes for players. The event kicks off on October 11 at 10 a.m. EDT and concludes on November 7 at 5 a.m. EDT.
Every day during the event, a special daily target will be displayed in-game. Players can take down the daily targets once a day for a total of 28 entries. On top of weekly sponsored prizes (listed below), one player will win $50,000 and four others will win varying amounts of cash totaling another $50,000.
More than a year after release, Borderlands 2 has "hundreds of thousands" of players, 2K said.
Those interested in participating in the $100,000 Borderlands 2 Loot Hunt event can log in to a special website using their SHiFT account information. Community goals will also be offered as part of the promotion, rewarding users with a "uniquely super-awesome gun" if players cumulatively kill enough enemies singled out in the daily community goals.
In addition to the cash prizes mentioned above, 2K will offer the following throughout the duration of the Borderlands 2 Loot Hunt.
- PlayStation Vita handheld entertainment systems with copies of Borderlands 2 Vita once released
- Customized Borderlands 2 XP SEVEN headsets from Turtle Beach
- NVIDIA Shield PC Streaming set-up with a custom painted Tiki PC by Falcon Northwest
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 660 Ti GFX cards.
- Borderlands 2 Game of the Year Edition Strategy Guides by BradyGames
- Lifetime supplies of all 2K titles on Steam – past, present, and future
Only United States players are eligible for the cash and sponsored prizes, though all players worldwide can participate in the community-based goals, 2K said.
Borderlands 2 originally released in September 2012. It has since shipped over 7 million copies and is on pace to become the highest-selling title in the history of 2K. A Game of the Year Edition will be released for Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and PC on October 8.