Twilight of the Spirits is one of those games that is carried by it's excellent story.

User Rating: 8.4 | Arc: Twilight of the Spirits PS2
Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits is one of those rare RPG's that isn't great because of it's gameplay, or it's awe inspiring graphics and sound. No, this game is an excellent RPG because it features one truly great story, that is free from the usual role playing cliches. Arc the Lad: TOTS follows 2 main characters, Darc and Kharg. Darc is a deimos, an "evil" monster who, like all deimos, have been born and bred to hate all humans. Kharg, however, is one of these humans. The tie between these two characters is that they are actually brothers, and while I don't want to give too much of the story away, let's just say that throughout the course of the game, you WILL be shocked by some of the unexpected plot twists. These twists never feel tacked on, and they all make sense. I've played probably 20 to 30 RPG's since I last found a game that could compete with Final Fantasy VII as far as story goes. Well, Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits is one of these games. As far as gameplay goes, Arc: TOTS uses a very easy to learn, yet somewhat complex battle system. There really aren't any dungeons, or random encounters. You pick different destinations to travel to from a map, and some of these locales contain battles. The battles are fought on somewhat of a grid; you can move each character a certain distance, depending on various factors. Magic, special abilities, all the stuff you would expect from an RPG, they are all there. Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits isn't going to drop any jaws when it comes to the graphics, but I thought they were very clean looking, and they fit the tone of the game perfectly. The lead characters are perfectly designed, although some of the monsters you fight look pretty generic (the blob, the skeleton, etc.). I also really liked the string based soundtrack. This game does have some voice acting, which happens to be pretty darn good as well. If you're a fan of RPG's, and are tired of the same old stories (chosen one saves the world from evil bad guy), you really should check this game out.