Your Going to be Pi$$ed

#1 Posted by Eagle_2004 (28 posts) -

ok...just got the game tonight. Started playing, hoping to recreate the feeling i got when I went to go see Aliens at the movie theater (yeah, I'm 41 ). 

Let me just say....take whatever popcorn you bought, get your ass up, and walk out the theater.  Its bad folks. Real bad.

Take it from a guy who has been playing games since the Atari 2600 came out, through the Commadore 64 days, onto the Amiga 500, and then nthe glorous PC days.

Your going to be pissed if you pre-ordered this or bought ANY type of "edition".  The graphics are bad, the voice acting is bad, the banter between you and the A.I. player is bad, your missions are bad, the aliens are bad, and to top it all off, you just paid $65 for a bad game. 

Cancel what you got, take the money and run. If this game gets above a 6.0, i'll blow myself. Pictures will be posted !!

You've been warned.

#2 Posted by 4-Legged-Shark (1031 posts) -

I'm not doubting you, but in the event that this game does score higher than a 6.0, I am going to hold you to those photographs. 

#3 Posted by InquisitorCrox (616 posts) -
I am nearly a decade younger, but i got the exact same feeling. The game feels very rushed and swallow, apart from the graphics, the story, script and voice acting was particularly horrible and that the biggest let down, because the game was never hyped for its graphics, but how could they make such a crime? After the AVP, ppl would be suspicious and would not easily trust another game waiting to cash on theALIENS experience, the lack of respect they have shown for this epic film is astonishing!!
#4 Posted by OmenUK (3302 posts) -

I'm not doubting you, but in the event that this game does score higher than a 6.0, I am going to hold you to those photographs. 

4-Legged-Shark

There are plenty of walkthroughs on YouTube that you can watch which show this guy (topic starter) is telling the truth unfortunately, it's really disappointed as it could have and should have been so much better.

#5 Posted by OmenUK (3302 posts) -

I am nearly a decade younger, but i got the exact same feeling. The game feels very rushed and swallow, apart from the graphics, the story, script and voice acting was particularly horrible and that the biggest let down, because the game was never hyped for its graphics, but how could they make such a crime? After the AVP, ppl would be suspicious and would not easily trust another game waiting to cash on theALIENS experience, the lack of respect they have shown for this epic film is astonishing!!InquisitorCrox

You're lucky you might out live us long enough to see a decent Aliens game :) although I wouldn't hold my breath.  As you say though and all joking aside there does seem to be some sort of attititude towards Aliens games that they are always hyped up as being cannon, or have certain voice actors or sound properties to give an authentic movie experience  despite the fact that time after time you play the game and it just completely sucks.  I must be honest the last game (Aliens vs. Predator?) where you could play the Alien, Xeno or Marine wasn't great but was passable, but to me this just looks like a huge step backwards from thar game which is never a good thing.

#6 Posted by Sa1isbury (17 posts) -
Ah, Amiga 500 mentioned (fond memories) Unfortunate news about the game, but if you've been gaming that long, I trust that opinion. When I first heard about another Aliens game coming out, I was disappointed to hear it was Sega. No offense to Sega (they've made a good games in the past) but IMO - the guys who really should have made this kinda game was the team who did Tom Clancey's Rainbow 6 Vegas. For any of you who have played R6: Vegas - you might know what I'm getting at. The physics, graphics, and weapon sounds were extremely realistic - and the tension level was palpable. I remember playing R6: Vegas thinking "man, if they threw aliens in this game, I would soil myself" I wish that team had created this game and made the necessary tweaks to make it an Alien's game. Had it happened, it would have been one of those games people would have been talking about for years. In the alternative, I wish the Sega development team had taken a darn hard look at how R6: Vegas had played and felt. Anyway, I might pick this up next before I judge it too harshly...just wishing Ubisoft had been involved.
#7 Posted by Eagle_2004 (28 posts) -

Please don't pick this up. Rent it...I say again...RENT IT FIRST !!

Since when has anyone been able to melee an Alien ? Or grab an Alien by the face and keep it from biting you with it's inner jaws ? I swear to god, your going to get tired of smacking an Alien in the face, having it stagger back, and then having enough time to to bring up your Pulse rifle and shower it with 10mm caseless rounds. Totally unbelievable.

And then you got the "walk down a long corridor with no action" segments, but when you get to a locked door that your A.I. Buddy has to weld open, you have to cover him while every f**king Alien on the planet attacks you. 

I'm glad I downloaded this game, because I was going to go to Best Buy when it came out and throw $65 dollars of hard earned money at this sorry excuse of entertainment. All I can think about when playing this game is the Gamefly commercial where they guy just repeats "stop it, stop it, STOP IT"  over and over again, knowing he got a bad game. 

I wanted this game to be good, I wanted to be able to support the hard work that went into designing and programming this game; but when the end result is a sinking feeling that they just didn't think this project through, then the only support I can offer is a head hung down low, shaking side to side, and saying "Why, How, and Who the f**k green-lighted this monstrosity of a so-called video game." 

Before you set my balls fire about piracy, let me just say; if the game was that good, then why was there no demo available before the games release ? Most game companies won't release a game demo if they know the overall product within the disk is not up to consumers standards, but rely on hype and hope to be the driving force for sales. 

I can only hope that most of us gamers are at an age where we can see through the bulls**t. Rent it...before you spend your money on it. 

#8 Posted by 4-Legged-Shark (1031 posts) -

[QUOTE="4-Legged-Shark"]

OmenUK

There are plenty of walkthroughs on YouTube that you can watch which show this guy (topic starter) is telling the truth unfortunately, it's really disappointed as it could have and should have been so much better.

oh yes I know, it's horrible. When I said I wasn't doubting him, I meant it. I'm sure I wont have to hold him to those photographs.
#9 Posted by True_Chaos_UK (2570 posts) -

Gutted about this, wish this was always the squad based shooter it was ment to be.

Ahhhh well I'll save money for Gears or God of war.

#10 Posted by Alucard_Prime (2980 posts) -

From what I've seen in the IGN 2 hours footage the game looks great. I say watch that and make your own initial opinion, do not put too much weight in this random internet poster who seems to be trying very hard to convince people the game is horrible. 

#11 Posted by skipper847 (3300 posts) -

Had this preorded for PC for last month but just cancelled it. £24,99 it was going to be but will wait for it in the cheap bin sometime or midweek madness sale on steam.

#12 Posted by aphex79 (10 posts) -

Had this preorded for PC for last month but just cancelled it. £24,99 it was going to be but will wait for it in the cheap bin sometime or midweek madness sale on steam.

skipper847
good for you man, i wish i had just waited one more day and done that. after you see the absolute panning this game will get from every corner i'd be surprised if you even buy it from the bargain bin.
#13 Posted by OmenUK (3302 posts) -

[QUOTE="skipper847"]

aphex79

good for you man, i wish i had just waited one more day and done that. after you see the absolute panning this game will get from every corner i'd be surprised if you even buy it from the bargain bin.

The problem I have right now is that I have ordered the collectors edition (£69.99), and so am trying to weigh up if the figure and extras are worth the money, and make it still worth purchasing despite the game being complete and utter crap. On the one hand the game is rubbish, but on the other hand it is like paying £30 for all the extra stuff (taking it that the game rrp is the usual £39.99)

#14 Posted by hedgehog1965uk (2 posts) -
I was just about to pre-purchase this game AND the Season Pass on Steam (total £48), in preparation for Tuesday's UK PC release, but thought I would check out any online previews first. I am glad that I did. It sounds as though I should hold off buying this for now, to see if it really is as terrible as some people are saying. When I first heard that there was going to be four player co-op in this game, I thought to myself "Wow, it should be like Left4Dead with aliens...fantastic!". Can anyone comment specifically on the co-op mode?
#15 Posted by aphex79 (10 posts) -
co op is way too onesided. xenos just tear up marines. also has the simplistic gameplay, if anyone can play it for longer than 15 minutes before bored **** i'would be very surprised. the boards will be empty in two weeks, I would rather reboot half life, or any multiplayer since then. no variety, terribly balanced and repetitive, that makes it a fail i'd say.
#16 Posted by aphex79 (10 posts) -

[QUOTE="aphex79"][QUOTE="skipper847"]

OmenUK

The problem I have right now is that I have ordered the collectors edition (£69.99), and so am trying to weigh up if the figure and extras are worth the money, and make it still worth purchasing despite the game being complete and utter crap. On the one hand the game is rubbish, but on the other hand it is like paying £30 for all the extra stuff (taking it that the game rrp is the usual £39.99)

get the pack, hang around at the game shop, resell the game for 30 quid to someone else, there'll be plenty of buyers.
#17 Posted by aphex79 (10 posts) -
I was just about to pre-purchase this game AND the Season Pass on Steam (total £48), in preparation for Tuesday's UK PC release, but thought I would check out any online previews first. I am glad that I did. It sounds as though I should hold off buying this for now, to see if it really is as terrible as some people are saying. When I first heard that there was going to be four player co-op in this game, I thought to myself "Wow, it should be like Left4Dead with aliens...fantastic!". Can anyone comment specifically on the co-op mode?hedgehog1965uk
thanks man, i told myself if i can just get one person to wait for a week i'd be happy, i can now rest, knowing at least one person was spared what i went through, i'm still so angry at myself, i will never buy a game on release again.
#18 Posted by OmenUK (3302 posts) -

I cancelled it, saved myself £70 I couldn't really afford and would rather wait and get the game when it's come down in price (alot) than pay full price for a game which fails in so many ways that it is unbelievable how much hype had been generated by the publishers and developers for this game when they HAD to know how poor it looked compared with a large chunk of games across all platforms scheduled for release in the next few weeks.

#19 Posted by lamprey263 (23972 posts) -
from the looks of it it couldn't be any better than that AVP game we got nearly 3 years ago, I'll save my money for something else, just give the marine campaign on that another playthrough
#20 Posted by Subcelsious (344 posts) -

Dude I could just tell from the voice acting from the trailers this was gonna suck, They had a good Alien game back on the SEGA SATURN back in the day , that was it. The trailers multyplayer looks like crap , it never showed much of the campaign, like i said the voice acting is a direct reflection of what your getting. Not even Michael Biehn can save this. I'm glad i didn't pre-order

#21 Posted by cromen (153 posts) -

I just got the game and im SOOOOO disapointed! I really thought that this would be great game! but noooo...this is just waste of time, discspace and money! Played the 1st mission and then quited. so plz!! do not buy this! Im a huge alien fan and i loved the aliens movie but this is something from different world :D

I hate that they sad that they will do SO authentic aliens game that every last detail is the best! But tell me then why pulse rifle has only 40 bullets in magazine and in the movie there was 99. I thought that this was upgrade thing but no, it raised count to 60. And the smargun sound has been changed, personally i liked the sound what was in movie! :)

And there is a motion tracker....yeah! it sound allright but why u have to look at it to get the sound, when there is movement a icon will be displayed in hud...why not just a sound of tracker???

EDIT: And WTF with a sights in pulserifle??? There was no sights no iron nor a laser or reddot :D Jees!

Yeah yeah i know these are small things but it bugs me :D I think im going back to AvP to play marine campaing. It beats this crap. :D

This game wont get pass 6/10.

Sry for bad language :P

#22 Posted by Diamondsoulz (363 posts) -

Amiga gamer Amiga games had taste

#23 Posted by geosurface (36 posts) -

Please don't pick this up. Rent it...I say again...RENT IT FIRST !!

Since when has anyone been able to melee an Alien ? Or grab an Alien by the face and keep it from biting you with it's inner jaws ? I swear to god, your going to get tired of smacking an Alien in the face, having it stagger back, and then having enough time to to bring up your Pulse rifle and shower it with 10mm caseless rounds. Totally unbelievable.Eagle_2004

True, but consider this... in the first Alien film one, single, solitary Xenomorph pwns an entire crew except for one person and a cat, mostly out of luck with some smarts thrown in. In the second film, we see the best of the best humanity has to offer, the Colonial Marines, similiarly **** by a nest of them. In the third film, a single bull Alien has it's way with the majority of the occupants of a prison... in the fourth film, once again we see the military made into mockery by these creatures.

Video games have always tended to be based on the idea of a single person (you) being able to eliminate LOTS of threats. Even the more atmospheric survival horror offerings tend to include this dynamic, though perhaps toned down a fair amount. I would certainly agree that this game might have done better to follow the lead of something like the original Dead Space, which had a pleasant mix of action/combat but also atmosphere, dread, and not feeling TOO powerful, especially at first.

So, to a degree I think this is unavoidable when films like that have to turn into games. Think back to games like Robocop on the NES or Goonies II on the NES or any game on the NES... you're constantly mowing down hordes of badguys, whether the movie showed the character to be anywhere near that effective in combat or not...

I've only played this game so far very briefly, but as someone who has ALSO been gaming since Atari 2600, and is a very discerning gamer... I'm prepared to give this game a lot of credit for accurately recreating the world and sights of Alien universe. I was pretty disappointed in Prometheus, for trampling all over the space-jockey lore, and after the first two Alien films the mainline series has had a lot of issues... I would have really liked to see this game be like, Halo AAA quality... but perhaps an attitude adjustment could help you still find a way to enjoy it somewhat? Think about how easily pleased we all were by games in the 80's. Ha.

Or maybe this just sucks and is irredeemable? I dunno.

#24 Posted by Eagle_2004 (28 posts) -

I thought the game sounds were pretty Spot on. The I first thing I noticed was the music, and the sounds. So while I do bash the game for its gameplay mechanics, I will say that the music and sounds were pretty good.

i do somewhat feel that if they were to mimic some of the attributes of dead space 1, the slow pacing, the errie sounds, a few surprises, and limit the amount of  firepower you could carry, it may have well scored better.

but, it didn't. And 6 years in development only proved 1 thing: the longer you devloper a game, the more you lose sight of what the final product should be. It was proven with Duke Nukem, and I for one was glad that 3D Realms took a s**t. Now, who's next in the crosshairs of s**tty game devloper doom?

#25 Posted by veryfrost (28 posts) -

There was demo... 2011 based on different graphic engine and it looks completely different from the final version. I think gaming industry is still in wildwest where there are no laws. Devs should be taken to court for their marketing lies just like for any other deceivefull  business.