Doesn't seem THAT bad so far

#1 Posted by geosurface (36 posts) -

So, let me first admit right up front I've only spent a short time with the game so far. My opinion could change dramatically as it goes on... I also should admit I love the Alien franchise, or at least specifically the first two films... and that nostalgia, etc could be tainting my view.

Anyway, with those disclaimers out of the way I just want to say, SO FAR this does NOT seem that bad. Not as good as the high profile AAA titles? For sure. 4.5 bad? Eh... I somehow doubt it. I feel like this is coming across more like a 6.5 or a 7 to me so far.

I think the gaming review industry does too much clustering at a few bands of numbers on their review scales... it's been this way for years. How often do movie reviewers give out their top score? Pretty frequently... or at least, it isn't unheard of. Yet, how often do games get a 10 on this site? Basically never. I'm aware of Ocarina of Time (which deserved it muchly) and a couple of others... but it is almost never given. Why have a 10 point scale if the top few points are basically considered verbotten?

And if anything below a 7 seems to be considered unplayable? Maybe that's a slight exaduration but I feel like the entire scale below a 6, certainly... is standing in for what much lower numbers SHOULD indicate. There is a very precipitous drop off after you get below a 7... where it just strikes me as a big meaningless void of "well you shouldn't even consider playing any of these, but I guess we'll still pretend we give it some thought and break it down a bit..."

If I'm right about this, and I may not be, and this site basically has a very narrow band of "great games but we'll never give them a 10!" and then a huge void of "AVOID AT ALL COSTS" - I have to say... so far this game to me seems like it is at least just inside the "playable" zone and maybe even a point or two into it.

I'll check back after I finish the game and I'll admit if I'm totally wrong, but again this thing's feeling like a 6.5 or a 7 not a 4.5.

#2 Posted by redskins5566 (385 posts) -

I agree with you. I mean the game isnt great but its not that bad. I guess everyone was hoping and expecting a hugly great game that anything less is just pure crap. Again id agree with your 6.5 or 7. Ive got to be on the last few missions and ill say ive noticed its faws but can still enjoy it.

#3 Posted by modart (86 posts) -

I agree with you. I mean the game isnt great but its not that bad. I guess everyone was hoping and expecting a hugly great game that anything less is just pure crap. Again id agree with your 6.5 or 7. Ive got to be on the last few missions and ill say ive noticed its faws but can still enjoy it.

redskins5566

I dont own the game but from what people are saying it dosn't deserve the gamespot score. I mean a game would have to be broken to earn a 4.5. this sounds like sour grapes to me. I plan on buying it next payday.

#4 Posted by 4-Legged-Shark (1031 posts) -

having played all the way through it, I will say that initially I was also thinking the game deserved a 6.5 or 7, but as time went on, I liked the game less and less. Mostly towards the end. The ending is horrible and abrupt, and takes the game down to a 5 or a 6... 4.5 does seem a bit low, but maybe I would feel like giving this game a 4.5 if I had paid 60 dollars for it.