Day One Impressions (if you are thinking of buying please read)

#1 Posted by TheRaiderNation (1653 posts) -

I really wanted to like the game. Even after paying $60 for the game and playing it most of today, I tried to convince myself I made a decent purchase. Ultimately I have accepted this is a mediocre to bad game.

My issues with the game:

~6 hour single player campaign

- texture pop ins, screen tearing, clipping and other graphical glitches

- inferior graphics for today stanards, looks like an average 2007 game at best

- laughable AI; feels like I am fighting resident evil zombies, not aliens

- poor story and cinematics; no lip synching? come on!

- linear levels, no variety except for on stealth level.

- unbalanced multiplayer (this could be because I this is the first day many have played the game)

- Co-op doesn't work. Why? Because in addition to your human controlled teamates, the AI bots from SP still play alongside your team. Hard too move, very crowded! 

- difficulty is a joke, breezed through this on normal, highest difficulty setting still hasn't offered a challenge so far (stopped playing it after 2 hours into it on thise difficulty as I felt there was no point)

I don't know what happened here, because this was in development for a few years yet it feels rushed and poorly designed/put together. I am an aliens fan, and I really wanted this to be a good game that I was happy with, I seriously doubt I'll play this at all after today. If you much play this game, please rent it! So many great games coming out next few weeks, save your money for those games. Do not make the same mistake as me! Hope this helps anyone on the fence

#2 Posted by Lance2500 (680 posts) -

So how are the aliens to fight? Is it at least enjoyable shooting them? Are there many to shoot? I'm still on the fence about this game for the 360.

#3 Posted by DarksjeiK (56 posts) -

My xbox copy should arrive in the mail any minute. I plan to spend the rest of the afternoon with it and I'll let you know what I think. I like to think I'm a decent reference because my standards aren't all that high. If the shooting feels good I'm a happy puppy. I actually enjoyed playing Turok and Homefront ;) 

If I say it's crap, it's crap :lol:

#4 Posted by adamvoorhees24 (76 posts) -

What games are coming out? I've been waiting years for this game and Dead Space 3 and I've decided to pass on both of them.

#5 Posted by DarksjeiK (56 posts) -

Okay I'm back after playing through 3 missions. As mentioned before I got the 360 version, which supposedly is the worst of the bunch, graphically.

Okay here we go, let's get this out of the way first:

Is the game utter crap? NO it really isn't. However, I must honestly say I'm not one of those people who kept a close eye on this game in the last few years and preordered it hoping that it was going to be fantastic. If I had than I would have had every right to be dissappointed.

You see the game isn't actually that bad. It all works technically. It's just severely dated in look and feel. The dated feel is somewhat lessened by the implementation of Call of Duty style upgrade mechanics. You unlock weapons and attachments and there's even that familiar ranking up system were you earn XP throughout the game. On top of that there's collectables in the singleplayer game. You collect dogtags a la Gears of War and there's legendary weapons to hunt down.

It's easy to see that those modern mechanics were tacked on to an already existing old game. The basic code clearly pre-dates Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare. Remember how that game introduced that beautiful smooth animation to npc movements. ACM's characters don't have that. The animations in the game are visibly dated. So are the particle effects. Shoot a window and the broken glass dissappears mid air.

In it's defense though, the backdrops are mostly interactive meaning you can shoot stuff off of tables and when you shot a locker door with your shotgun it flaps violently. So there's definately a decent physics engine in place.

Should you get the game? That depends. If you're coming off any title of the current AAA fps roster and are looking for the next big thrill than you should probably steer clear.

I certainly wouldn't recommend the game to just anybody but if you think you can stomach the dated look and feel this is easily a 6.5/10 and at the very least a nice rental for rainy afternoon.

#6 Posted by Fruitymachete (71 posts) -

Multiplayer is wel balanced , it just depense on your team. I'm lvl 43 alien and lvl 53 Marines and i played alot of matches and it is perfectly balanced.

#7 Posted by drswank (941 posts) -

Okay I'm back after playing through 3 missions. As mentioned before I got the 360 version, which supposedly is the worst of the bunch, graphically.

Okay here we go, let's get this out of the way first:

Is the game utter crap? NO it really isn't. However, I must honestly say I'm not one of those people who kept a close eye on this game in the last few years and preordered it hoping that it was going to be fantastic. If I had than I would have had every right to be dissappointed.

You see the game isn't actually that bad. It all works technically. It's just severely dated in look and feel. The dated feel is somewhat lessened by the implementation of Call of Duty style upgrade mechanics. You unlock weapons and attachments and there's even that familiar ranking up system were you earn XP throughout the game. On top of that there's collectables in the singleplayer game. You collect dogtags a la Gears of War and there's legendary weapons to hunt down.

It's easy to see that those modern mechanics were tacked on to an already existing old game. The basic code clearly pre-dates Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare. Remember how that game introduced that beautiful smooth animation to npc movements. ACM's characters don't have that. The animations in the game are visibly dated. So are the particle effects. Shoot a window and the broken glass dissappears mid air.

In it's defense though, the backdrops are mostly interactive meaning you can shoot stuff off of tables and when you shot a locker door with your shotgun it flaps violently. So there's definately a decent physics engine in place.

Should you get the game? That depends. If you're coming off any title of the current AAA fps roster and are looking for the next big thrill than you should probably steer clear.

I certainly wouldn't recommend the game to just anybody but if you think you can stomach the dated look and feel this is easily a 6.5/10 and at the very least a nice rental for rainy afternoon.

DarksjeiK
Buyer's remorse leads to rambling justifications :)
#8 Posted by DarksjeiK (56 posts) -

Buyer's remorse leads to rambling justifications :)

Lol...no I'm actually being sincere here.

#9 Posted by vishisluv7 (480 posts) -

What are you talking about "rambling"?

That was a perfectly cohesive post and a well written, middle of the road critique.

#10 Posted by SpiiiiiiiiKe (112 posts) -

Played it on Hard, which is a joke its self as it wasn't hard.  You can kite the aliens around, felt sort of like I was hearding sheep and not dodging death.  I torrented it so can't complain but just another $5 game on steam in a month.

#11 Posted by TheRaiderNation (1653 posts) -

Aliens are like mindless zombies and attack with out any strategy. It is very disappointing, esp if you've seen the alien AI in the movies themselves.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, afterI play the game for a few hours today, I can say some of the issues that made the competitive multiplayer feel unbalanced were due to teammates not working together. Outside of Escape mode (which feels like left4dead), multiplayer comes out as just avg. Its works and is enjoyable but its not going to impress anyone.

As far as Co-op, tried to play some today and the crowd of computer controlled and human controlled teammates in each level is almost gamebreaking since the levels are linear and in confined corridors often.

Looking back at the single player, it really is an ugly mess that lacks any type of difficulty.

I am having buyers regret, I really can not stress, if you are on the fence, don't buy this. Please rent! 

#12 Posted by hardvectorman (25 posts) -
You could not have said it better I played for some time and it is BAD.
#13 Posted by D-meg (25 posts) -
Thank you for your opinion. I read the review, but I was hopeful that maybe it was a little off. I went to buy it, but they didn't have it for pc. ( I picked Borderlands 2) Luck was on my side, although, being a fan of the movies I was still Interested, but thanks to you I'm convinced.
#14 Posted by TheRaiderNation (1653 posts) -

Thank you for your opinion. I read the review, but I was hopeful that maybe it was a little off. I went to buy it, but they didn't have it for pc. ( I picked Borderlands 2) Luck was on my side, although, being a fan of the movies I was still Interested, but thanks to you I'm convinced.D-meg

Happy to hear you didn't buy it, borderlands 2 is an amazing game with a ton of depth, you'll be playing that game for months.

I was able to trade in Aliens and at least get 50% of what I paid back. I never buy games without checking feedback or renting first, I don't know what I was thinking. Being a fan of the Aliens franchise suckered me in to this.

Yeah, the reviews are have read sinec I purchased and played through the game are spot on.

#15 Posted by sirk1264 (5639 posts) -

I really wanted to like the game. Even after paying $60 for the game and playing it most of today, I tried to convince myself I made a decent purchase. Ultimately I have accepted this is a mediocre to bad game.

My issues with the game:

- unbalanced multiplayer (this could be because I this is the first day many have played the game)

- Co-op doesn't work. Why? Because in addition to your human controlled teamates, the AI bots from SP still play alongside your team. Hard too move, very crowded! 

- difficulty is a joke, breezed through this on normal, highest difficulty setting still hasn't offered a challenge so far (stopped playing it after 2 hours into it on thise difficulty as I felt there was no point)

I don't know what happened here, because this was in development for a few years yet it feels rushed and poorly designed/put together. I am an aliens fan, and I really wanted this to be a good game that I was happy with, I seriously doubt I'll play this at all after today. If you much play this game, please rent it! So many great games coming out next few weeks, save your money for those games. Do not make the same mistake as me! Hope this helps anyone on the fence

TheRaiderNation

Is this better than AVP2010?

#16 Posted by resident_jisen (346 posts) -

Played it on Hard, which is a joke its self as it wasn't hard.  You can kite the aliens around, felt sort of like I was hearding sheep and not dodging death.  I torrented it so can't complain but just another $5 game on steam in a month.

SpiiiiiiiiKe
this game maybe a joke to you on hard but i`m dying a lot on normal.and on mp i die a lot also. i`d say every game i own i never go past normal difficulty and in some rare cases i go one difficulty up in certain games.
#17 Posted by TheRaiderNation (1653 posts) -

[QUOTE="TheRaiderNation"]

My issues with the game:

sirk1264

Is this better than AVP2010?

I my opinion AVP2010 was better than Colonial Marines. I enjoyed the single player content MUCH better than colonial Marines. 

#19 Posted by Mickeyminime (1163 posts) -
I watched my friend play the game on hard mode, he didn't kill a single alien, he just ran from start to finish. The AI is so bad, we went on the web to watch the trailers of the game before it was released and my god, what the hell happened. You get Brilliant AI aliens in the trailer, but the actual game, wow, they are seriously dumb. A lot of players i hear feel like they got seriously misled, even AVP from 2010 is better than this Aliens game. I was going to get it, but after to many bad reviews, its not worth spending hard earned cash on something thats not going to entertain.