Best review I've found, and it puts gaming journalism into question

#1 Posted by Eagle_2004 (28 posts) -

Check out this review here:

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/

last night, I started reading about video game review embargoes, and how game companies make game reviewers hold their review of a game until a certain date. In some instances, reviews aren't allowed until A game has been out for a few weeks. We've all ran across a game that we wanted to get a review on because we saw it on the shelf at wal-mart or best buy, but wanted to know how good it was, only to find very little on it. "But the game has been out 3 weeks...what the hell?"

i read the review above, and  before I got to the second paragraph, all I could think was...."they bought this sum b**ch." Now, it's commen knowledge that game companies will give certain gaming web sites "exclusive" information on an upcoming game IF they praise and score a game they know is going to suck with a high score and total praise. This review makes it sound like Aliens : CM is the s**t ! Awesome gameplay, balanced multiplayer, incredible sounds, you are the marine, you are the galactic a**kicker, you are on LV246, and you ARE GOD !!

To quote a line from Rambo, "I've been playing games since your mamma was wiping your nose!" (Ok, not a direct quote) But I've been playing since the Atari 2600 days, thru the Commadore 64, Amiga 500, Sega Genisys, Nintendo...you name it, I had it. I know a bad game when I see it, when I play it, and most certainly when I feel ripped off by purchasing it. I played this game...for 3 hours. I was bored to tears with it. I know..I KNOW....it was going to score lower than dirt. I said it on earlier posts, I predicted it, I confirmed it, and alas, it has come to fruition.

You may know me as Eagle_2004....but you can call me Nostrodamus. 

#2 Posted by Shadow128 (628 posts) -

I think EGM just likes to score good games poorly and bad games well to attract attention; they seem to have a history of doing this. Not many reviews are actually "bought" in this industry, at least not as many as gamers tend to believe.

#3 Posted by Eagle_2004 (28 posts) -

Your going to read that review, and then tell me that they didn't "buy" that review?

you may be right that game companies don't BUY reviews as often as we think, but when you got millions dollars invested in 1 project, and the success or failure of that 1 game may be all that stands between your next game development and unemployment, you better bet your a$$ that they are willing  to grease the palms of the local politician (game reviewer) for an endorsement. 

I guess you believe that officials in washington DC don't look out for their own interests by putting small changes in a bill that helps their district in exchange for a YES vote on an upcoming bill that's gonna go to the senate for approval.

#4 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18449 posts) -

I think EGM just likes to score good games poorly and bad games well to attract attention; they seem to have a history of doing this. Not many reviews are actually "bought" in this industry, at least not as many as gamers tend to believe.

Shadow128
You would be surprised..more reviews are bought than most people think, since most people don't even think it happens at all.
#5 Posted by FlankerDFMax (1777 posts) -

I really liked the first two games of this series (AvP & AvP II).......................the last one was a total snooze fest. Never made it through the second level before uninstalling it. I've been tracking this edition; resisted the urge to preorder it, and held fast against dropping into the local GameStop on my way by today.......................... ....figuring I'd hold off a few days to see what the player buzz turned out to be. At least this is one I won't be thinking: Hey! Can I have my $60.00 back??!! And, speakin' of thinking...........................WTBleep were the project leads at Gearbox thinking halfway through the development when it should have been readily apparent this thing had taken a wrong turn?

#6 Posted by Shadow128 (628 posts) -

Your going to read that review, and then tell me that they didn't "buy" that review?

you may be right that game companies don't BUY reviews as often as we think, but when you got millions dollars invested in 1 project, and the success or failure of that 1 game may be all that stands between your next game development and unemployment, you better bet your a$$ that they are willing  to grease the palms of the local politician (game reviewer) for an endorsement. 

I guess you believe that officials in washington DC don't look out for their own interests by putting small changes in a bill that helps their district in exchange for a YES vote on an upcoming bill that's gonna go to the senate for approval.

Eagle_2004

All I'm saying is that you don't automatically jump to the conclusion that a review was paid for just because it's a good one. Like I said, EGM loves to attract attention in any way they can; it's also possible that the reviewer didn't even play the game.

I work in this industry and it's typically more complicated than reviews being "bought"; many companies would not dare to even offer to pay a publication for a good review, for reasons that should be obvious if you give it some thought.

#7 Posted by Black_Hand_313 (838 posts) -

This is from the same guy who listed not being able to aim down the sights as a reason he gave Halo 4 a 7/10; according to some of the comments he's had other controversial reviews as well

#8 Posted by Gelugon_baat (21463 posts) -

It's a different opinion - take it or leave it. Conspiracy theories are a f*cking waste of time.

#10 Posted by green_abobo (1287 posts) -
http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/ this seems completely opposite of the gamespot review. which makes me wonder, who's right? im not big on shooters but this was definitely one of my favorite movies growing up normally I couldn't give two **** about reviews, but I'm on a tiiiight budget & there are several games I'm interested in, basically its going to come down to a decision. I've heard everything from its just terrible with awful AI & its too easy, to fan-boys may find some redeeming qualities. the apparent price drop (just outside of a month since release) already indicates its not selling well. how long do the average owners of this game play it, before they put it down & never pick it up again? does it have any replay value? is it the case of it should either be single player, or MP, meaning all the development went into one vs. the other? is it fun or does it just suck? I saw some gameplay footage & the environments look pretty well done. how often do you find yourself using the motion tracker? does it not even matter because the xenos are too easy to not kill? can you start the game on the highest difficulty? does the xeno's acid blood burn your character? how does this compare to similar games, like say left for dead? I'll most likely end up buying it. I just get the feeling its not a good decision however. really wish there would have been a demo. I see redbox has it in my area. its not exactly cheap though. (2$ a day + tax) wondering if it'd just be more economical to buy it. @ that point..?. thanks.
#11 Posted by sirk1264 (5735 posts) -

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/reviews/egm-review-aliens-colonial-marines/ this seems completely opposite of the gamespot review. which makes me wonder, who's right? im not big on shooters but this was definitely one of my favorite movies growing up normally I couldn't give two **** about reviews, but I'm on a tiiiight budget & there are several games I'm interested in, basically its going to come down to a decision. I've heard everything from its just terrible with awful AI & its too easy, to fan-boys may find some redeeming qualities. the apparent price drop (just outside of a month since release) already indicates its not selling well. how long do the average owners of this game play it, before they put it down & never pick it up again? does it have any replay value? is it the case of it should either be single player, or MP, meaning all the development went into one vs. the other? is it fun or does it just suck? I saw some gameplay footage & the environments look pretty well done. how often do you find yourself using the motion tracker? does it not even matter because the xenos are too easy to not kill? can you start the game on the highest difficulty? does the xeno's acid blood burn your character? how does this compare to similar games, like say left for dead? I'll most likely end up buying it. I just get the feeling its not a good decision however. really wish there would have been a demo. I see redbox has it in my area. its not exactly cheap though. (2$ a day + tax) wondering if it'd just be more economical to buy it. @ that point..?. thanks.green_abobo

I am an alien junkie and love the franchise.  Yesterday traded in a couple xbox games and didn't want another console game as I'm starting to move away from consoles and bought a 50 dollar steam card with the value I got and got this game on Steam.  Yes, I didn't pay any money for this game so I'm not all upset about having it.  I have to say that the visuals are not terrible but the animations, especially on the marines, are awful.  The gameplay is intense and fun.  Some explosion effects suck and the atmosphere is similar to the Aliens movie which is great.  I can understand some reviewers being disappointed considering the demo shown way before this game released had a completely different look but being a fan of the series, I am enjoying it and think it is better than a 4.5/10 on here.  Maybe a 6 I would give it but not a 4.5.  I think the major gripe is that with todays hardware, people wanted more immersive visuals and that is understandable but the visuals are no means god awful.  Gearbox should still be punished for being shady and using funds for the game on another project which is basically breach of contract and they could be sued badly by SEGA for doing that.  

#12 Posted by DrKill09 (6238 posts) -

EGM went out of business because they post lots of false information, and inaccurate reviews.

This game was awful.  Just go play AVP 2010 for ten minutes, and tell me it's not true.

And I liked DNF