Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#1 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19681 Posts

Capcom Is Making More Money Than Ever Before — and It’s Forecast Even Better to Come

Capcom Is Making More Money Than Ever Before — and It’s Forecast Even Better to Come

Story by Wesley Yin-Poole

Japanese game company Capcom has reported record sales and predicted even bigger returns are to come, with big hitter Monster Hunter Wilds waiting in the wings.

Capcom sold 45.89 million units of video games during the fiscal year ending March 31, 2024, a record for the long-running company behind the likes of Monster Hunter and Resident Evil. Net sales were up 21% year-on-year, and profit was up 18.1%.

Capcom said it achieved this result off the back of the release of Street Fighter 6 in June 2023 and Dragon’s Dogma 2 in March 2024. Street Fighter 6 has now sold 3.3 million units, and Dragon’s Dogma 2 has shifted 2.62 million. Both games, as well as continued sales of older games, made for record-high net sales, the seventh consecutive year of record-high profit at all levels, and Capcom’s 11th consecutive year of operating income growth.

In its forecast for the current financial year ending March 2025, Capcom predicted even bigger sales and profits, which would result in 12 consecutive years of operating income growth and eight consecutive years of record high profit at all levels.

Capcom has Monster Hunter Wilds due out at some point in 2025, and is heavily rumored to be preparing Resident Evil 9, the next mainline Resident Evil game, for release during this financial year.

Capcom’s success comes during one of the toughest times for the video game industry in recent memory, with a number of high-profile studio closures, thousands of job losses, and a raft of canceled projects. Just this week, Microsoft announced the closure of Hi-Fi Rush studio Tango Gameworks and Redfall developer Arkane Austin as part of deep cuts at ZeniMax, with the warning that more is to come. PlayStation maker Sony has made cuts of its own, as has a long list of publishers and developers.

Capcom, however, appears to be enjoying perhaps its most successful period ever. Just last month, Capcom announced plans to pay out more money to its shareholders after the breakout success of Dragon’s Dogma 2, which sold 2.5 million copies across PC via Steam, PlayStation 5, and Xbox Series X and S in just 11 days. To put Dragon’s Dogma 2’s sales into context, it took the first Dragon’s Dogma game a month to sell 1.05 million units after it went on sale at the end of May 2012, a tally Capcom declared a success at the time.

Capcom’s best-selling game of all-time is 2018’s Monster Hunter World, which has shifted just shy of 20 million units. The company will be hoping to repeat the trick when Monster Hunter Wilds goes on sale next year.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 hardwenzen
Member since 2005 • 39691 Posts

I am sad they fucked up DD2 launch as hard as they did. There was so much negativity surrounding the game because of mtx and it running like trash that it would've moved around 5M guaranteed if none of this drama happened. But i am also mad about the fact that they used an engine that can't handle open world games just because its their own. And the same will happen with the next MH...

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6695 Posts

I mostly bought the RE games (none of the remakes) but since they went first person I don't buy anything from them.

PCLover1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 PCLover1980
Member since 2022 • 1280 Posts

Who knew making good games actually makes you profit?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44536 Posts

Capcom has been a big favourite of mine since the NES both on home consoles and arcade games so it’s nice to see them just doing so well after all these years.

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34766 Posts

Cool. I like Capcom. Not a fan of current Resident Evil, or their weird shit like Exoprimal, among many other things with the company. But what's good is really good.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#7 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 59314 Posts

And yet they still release broken games at launch.

VatususReturns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 VatususReturns
Member since 2021 • 955 Posts

Good. Now make DMC 6

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 7057 Posts

Pretty remarkable Comeback. Would love another DMC, Darkstalkers and MVC.

NfamousLegend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 NfamousLegend
Member since 2016 • 1010 Posts

When you make quality games, I will buy them. Simple

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17877 Posts

Good for Capcom well deservedOHCRAP!

I need to get back into Rise (Havent even started the expansion) and finish off world before Wild comes out! And I have Generations Ultimate on the switch too.

.....Do I have too much Monster Hunter content? Never!!

Warm_Gun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Warm_Gun
Member since 2021 • 2489 Posts

And RE1 remake number 2 rumored, in the 4 style of course. Burn this whole industry down.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Jag85
@hardwenzen said:

I am sad they fucked up DD2 launch as hard as they did. There was so much negativity surrounding the game because of mtx and it running like trash that it would've moved around 5M guaranteed if none of this drama happened. But i am also mad about the fact that they used an engine that can't handle open world games just because its their own. And the same will happen with the next MH...

The first Dragon's Dogma only had a 1M launch, yet went on to reach 8.4M lifetime sales.

DD2 had a 2.62M launch, so it's likely to surpass the first DD's lifetime sales.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56399 Posts

Slightly off-topic here, but whatever happen to Capcom's upcoming new IP game Pragmata?

Also, kudos to Capcom doing awesome as I have been enjoying RE remake games...except 3 of course.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 hardwenzen

@Jag85 said:
@hardwenzen said:

The first Dragon's Dogma only had a 1M launch, yet went on to reach 8.4M lifetime sales.

DD2 had a 2.62M launch, so it's likely to surpass the first DD's lifetime sales.

Of course it will, but i expected this to be a big seller for Capcom after the casuals have discovered Elden Ring, because DD2 looked similar (visually). And i am 100% certain, ready to bet my 7800x3d on it that if the game was well optimized, had no mtx and had a 60fps mode, this would be a 5M+ sales within the first month. Marketing was great, its a really fun open world game that is very unique, and it looked nice visually. It had everything what's needed to sell a ton, but Capcom were too damn stupid to use their damn engine.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18261 Posts

They are making good games, so good for them.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Jag85
@hardwenzen said:
@Jag85 said:
@hardwenzen said:

Of course it will, but i expected this to be a big seller for Capcom after the casuals have discovered Elden Ring, because DD2 looked similar (visually). And i am 100% certain, ready to bet my 7800x3d on it that if the game was well optimized, had no mtx and had a 60fps mode, this would be a 5M+ sales within the first month. Marketing was great, its a really fun open world game that is very unique, and it looked nice visually. It had everything what's needed to sell a ton, but Capcom were too damn stupid to use their damn engine.

DD2 sold 2.62M in its first week. That would mean it likely sold somewhere around 3-4M in its first month. I doubt Capcom were ever expecting it to sell 5M in its first month, as that would be in the same ball park as their top franchises Resident Evil and Monster Hunter. Capcom are more than happy with DD2's launch sales.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 hardwenzen

@Jag85 said:
@hardwenzen said:
@Jag85 said:
@hardwenzen said:

DD2 sold 2.62M in its first week. That would mean it likely sold somewhere around 3-4M in its first month. I doubt Capcom were ever expecting it to sell 5M in its first month, as that would be in the same ball park as their top franchises Resident Evil and Monster Hunter. Capcom are more than happy with DD2's launch sales.

All i am saying is that it would have done signficantly better than it did. So if it sold 4M in a month, it would've done 7M+ without all the crazy drama it had. The game was set up to be a massive hit, and that didn't happen.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 hardwenzen

If i were them, i wouldn't add mtx to MH Wilds on day one. Even tho their MH World (or DD2 for that matter) mtx is the most "acceptable" i've seen in a game, there's simply too much negativity surrounding mtx, and that would carpet bomb the hype the game would get otherwise. Delay them by a month so the game launches without drama, assuming it runs better than DD2.

robert_sparkes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 robert_sparkes
Member since 2018 • 7286 Posts

Capcom have been one of the better companies for remakes would like a code Veronica remake.

pmanden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 pmanden
Member since 2016 • 2965 Posts

@Archangel3371 said:

Capcom has been a big favourite of mine since the NES both on home consoles and arcade games so it’s nice to see them just doing so well after all these years.

Yeah, same here. I would say that Capcom peaked in the 1990s with Street Fighter 2, Ghouls'n'Ghosts and Resident Evil 1 & 2, but it is still a great company all these years later. Unlike Konami and EA.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By uninspiredcup
@nfamouslegend said:

When you make quality games, I will buy them. Simple

Didn't Dragons Dogma 2 launch broken, sub 30fps with microtransactions and still sold because gamers have absolutely 0 standards at this point?

I have no idea why people are celebrating like they think they're Ewoks at the end of Return Of The Jedi.

Very odd.

my_user_name

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 my_user_name
Member since 2019 • 1272 Posts

Wish they'd give RE a rest , and show some love to DMC, Megaman or Dino Crisis. (The way they've churned out Resident Evil remakes , I would think a Dino Crisis one wouldn't require that much work)

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 uninspiredcup

They should unironically bring back Saturday Night Slam Masters

Loading Video...

The first one a mix of wrestling and Street Fighter is such a great concept. Which they immediately abandon in 2.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#25 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44678 Posts

Better off than they were 10 years ago, there was some real worry then they might go out of business back then.

hardwenzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 hardwenzen

@lamprey263 said:

Better off than they were 10 years ago, there was some real worry then they might go out of business back then.

That's the current ubisoft, except nobody is worried🤭

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50662 Posts

@last_lap said:

I mostly bought the RE games (none of the remakes) but since they went first person I don't buy anything from them.

Curious, why don't you like first person games?

Last_Lap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Last_Lap
Member since 2023 • 6695 Posts

@Chutebox said:
@last_lap said:

Curious, why don't you like first person games?

I actually play first person games albeit rarely, so I don't hate first person even though that's the perception people likely think I do.

I used to play Doom, Duke Nukem, Quake etc all back in the day, but these days not so much, I just find that the viewpoint restricts your field of vision and gameplay. And my tastes has changed from when I was younger and played just about everything.

So I don't automatically disregard a game because its first person, I just need to find that game awesome before I will play it.

RE 7 & 8 don't look like awesome games for me to play them, and for me at least RE is and always will be a third person game.

Hopefully that gives you some insight.